Sponsored

Camping with your Gladiator

WhatExit?

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon Launch Edition - Granite Crystal Metallic | 2017 Ford Raptor SuperCrew - Metallic
Vehicle Showcase

camodog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Nice set-up!
What camper is that??
that is the alu-cab canopy camper. It’s a semi permanent option. Works perfectly for our current needs and could fit just about everywhere the Jeep goes

Geo Jeep

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gobi Gladiator Sport S (Max Tow)
Occupation
Geologist
Looking for a very rough idea- what does it cost to get involved with the tent on your truck thing? ( coming from a guy who camps in his back yard once a summer for his kid). I know I need a rack to start and special tonneau to be workable with the rack. I’ll probably never do it but I’m curious.
thanks in advance and take it easy on me!
Based on my research your looking at $1000 for a rack and $1,000 for a tent, minimum, but more like double that if you want something better. If you want a hard shell RTT they're starting around $2,000. I was thinking RTT too, but as another guy suggested, the tent trailer may be the way to go. For $4-5K I have seen decent used trailers. Unhitch and go wandering and leave the campsite set up. And I think the tent trailers are better for inclement weather. Coming from a VW camper, it's nice to have a place to hang out.

Climbhigh

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Hydro Blue Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Arborist
Camping/4x4 roads last weekend at Bald Eagle State Forest
Jeep Gladiator Camping with your Gladiator 20200926_070550
Jeep Gladiator Camping with your Gladiator 20200926_070212
Jeep Gladiator Camping with your Gladiator 20200926_144932

Sponsored

TaylorWoodham

First Name
Taylor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Tesla Model Y; 2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Engineer
Vehicle Showcase

WK2JT

First Name
Darren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTC
Vehicle Showcase
Jeep Gladiator Camping with your Gladiator A81D56FA-FABD-4306-B78C-D2A9FFEC160E

Just the basics. A Gladiator, and whatever else you want to bring.
How do you like that tent cot? Is it comfortable? Been eyeing one of those things for car camping.

Sponsored

WK2JT

First Name
Darren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTC
Vehicle Showcase
Based on my research your looking at $1000 for a rack and $1,000 for a tent, minimum, but more like double that if you want something better. If you want a hard shell RTT they're starting around $2,000. I was thinking RTT too, but as another guy suggested, the tent trailer may be the way to go. For $4-5K I have seen decent used trailers. Unhitch and go wandering and leave the campsite set up. And I think the tent trailers are better for inclement weather. Coming from a VW camper, it's nice to have a place to hang out.
That’s my dilemma with the RTT... nice to be up high off the ground, but don’t want to “break” camp to go for a ride. Even when overlanding, there are non travel days.

Rubi_Rhod

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JTR 6MT, '55 Manx Clone Bug
Build Thread
Link
So this was on my Colorado, but the same core setup i have going on my Gladiator.

8min from pulled up to ready to sleep, eat etc. This time was the first time I actually used it on the road and was puffing a doobie the whole time.

The tent was $900 shipped
Rack is universal ladder rack for $200 shipped

Camp gear consists of a chefmate camp kitchen (loaded with your preference of gear ($100), cooler ($200)

At the end of my 10days on the road, i had it up or down and ready to drive all packed in less time than my buddy took to undo all his hanging hammock lines and restuff various bags.

Its really a lot of fun, and for me, RTTs allow me to setup quick and easy at places like highway rest areas. I like to cover a lot of miles so being able to pop up and in 5min go to sleep, then while the coffee brews on the tailgate, tent is folded and packed and you are good to go.

It’s a different style of camping and traveling but it’s s not totally unapproachable.

My experience has been with a lance 1055 truck camper on an F350 dually. And a slew of ground tents from the Kodiak canvas to the camp rite tent cot. Both of which are amazing products.

But there’s a lot of joy in rocking up and being camp ready everywhere. And even in the demerits of “wanting to go to town” or such, taking down camp is no more work than putting stuff away. And when out and about, its nice to have your drinks and food, or amenities.

I totally will be taking this bigger in the next year or two with a GoFast camper, but this is such a fun and affordable and easy setup. I wanted to try this as affordable as possible to start. Of all the money spent on camp gear, this has definitely gotten me the most enjoyable and livable package to get out more frequently and casually.

FC3C61CD-2253-4382-B994-9DE8E6AB6670.jpeg
49FD0AFD-A696-4418-97B7-88F9D17F88D9.jpeg
F525F3DA-CD47-426B-AC63-CA8BC8639828.jpeg

OP
OP
TJDave

TJDave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Motorized toy collector
Just after a much needed Friday night rain storm. First rain in months I think. It was awesome and much welcomed. The skies cleared in the morning, and it was an incredible smoke free weekend.

20200919_100125.jpg