First Name
Walter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Expedition, Escape, Ocean Blue Wrangler JLUR, Firecracker Red Gladiator Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Project Red Dwarf is kicking off with the order of a Firecracker Red Gladiator Rubicon.
Jeep Gladiator Project Red Dwarf 1592884027927

Gladiator Rubicon – Firecracker Red
Auto transmission
8.4" RADIO AND PREMIUM AUDIO GROUP
AUXILARY SWITCH GROUP
BLACK 3-PIECE HARD TOP
COLD WEATHER GROUP
INTEGRATED OFF-ROAD CAMERA
LED LIGHTING GROUP
REMOTE PROXIMITY KEYLESS ENTRY
SPRAY IN BEDLINER
TRAILER TOW PACKAGE
LEATHER TRIMMED BUCKET SEATS - Black

Order placed on June 19, 2020 via Petersons in Nampa, Idaho - salesman Kent Shurtleff.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Walter-new jeeper

Walter-new jeeper

First Name
Walter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Project Red Dwarf has arrived at Petersons in Nampa, ID. Going to have them put on a 2" Mopar Lift, Rock Slide Engineering Power Steps, and a trailer brake controller. May have them put 35" KO2s on.
Jeep Gladiator Project Red Dwarf gladiator arrived

OP
OP
Walter-new jeeper

Walter-new jeeper

First Name
Walter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
I visited Kent Shurtleff on Friday, September 4th and signed my other arm away (still have a Jeep Wrangler Rubicon I am paying for - though my daughter will be helping make the payments so she can have it). Took a 970 mile bug splattered, hot, sunny trip from Boise to Federal Way to bring it home - made use of the long holiday weekend.

I had Petersons install a Mopar 2" Lift (box and Rubicon take off suspension in the box in the bed), Rock Slide Engineering Power Steps, and a Curtis Trailer Brake Controller. No other mods yet. Have Rebel Offroad trail rails coming this week. Plan to put 35" KO2's on in the near future instead of the Falken Wildpeaks from the factory. Will take some getting used to having power steps come down every time I open a door - banged my shin on them a few times.

Jeep Gladiator Project Red Dwarf IMG-3093.JPG

OP
OP
Walter-new jeeper

Walter-new jeeper

First Name
Walter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Parts have been arriving over the last couple weeks. Today I installed the Rebel Offroad Rails.

Everything was well packaged, not an oversized box, hard foam to keep things in place.
Jeep Gladiator Project Red Dwarf IMG-3178
Jeep Gladiator Project Red Dwarf IMG-3179

Contents of the brown envelope - instructions and some swag. Got a decal - like that. :) And a bottle holder - probably never use it. So many manufacturers don't include a decal with their kits which is a shame, especially when they are cheap to make and sometimes the parts we are buying are a bit expensive. I think they forget that the Jeep community likes to advertise what we put on our rigs.

Jeep Gladiator Project Red Dwarf IMG-3180

All the parts laid out. Let the fun begin.
Jeep Gladiator Project Red Dwarf IMG-3181

Took a couple hours all together - I'm not the fastest on two feet, lots of crawling around on my knees.

Jeep Gladiator Project Red Dwarf IMG-3183
Jeep Gladiator Project Red Dwarf IMG-3182

Now to find some adjustable/slideable tiedowns. Hopefully the weather is nicer tomorrow - need to pop the roof off and unfasten the front window. Going to follow Ares's USB port install and need some room. Also have a CB bar to put on, and a-pillar/cowling light bracket - which I will do after I do not need the windshield down.

OP
OP
Walter-new jeeper

Walter-new jeeper

First Name
Walter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Well, weather went bad the afternoon after I put the rails in, and during the week we had roofers using the driveway. As you could see from the picture I have no 'garage' - my son's stuff is in there being stored. He just got out of the Navy and returned from Texas. This last weekend we had some heavy storms go throught.

Well, today was a nice enough afternoon that I got out and did a couple things to Red Dwarf. Started with installing the piggyback harness to connect a USB hub on top of the dash - see Ares build: https://www.jeepgladiatorforum.com/forum/threads/upper-dash-charging-hub.33289/

I then proceeded to install a CB Bar I purchased from [Banned Site]:
https://www.[Banned Site]/store/proddetail.php?prod=PARTS-CB-BAR

I also purchase the auxiliary switch/radio mount bracket - sorry, apparently will not fit SPOD (Eddie has a reason for that - SPOD mislead members into thinking they were ordinary members, while trying to sell and praise their product):
https://www.[Banned Site]/store/proddetail.php?prod=PARTS-CB-BAR-SWITCH-MOUNT

And I see that the website and name of where I purched these is a 'banned' site. It is W A Y A L I F E.

Unboxing - small box, well wrapped in bubble wrap. Switch mount bracket in bag taped to bubble wrap.
Jeep Gladiator Project Red Dwarf IMG-3187

Mounting hardware:
Jeep Gladiator Project Red Dwarf IMG-3188

CB Bar
Jeep Gladiator Project Red Dwarf IMG-3189

Switch/radio mount bracket and hardware
Jeep Gladiator Project Red Dwarf IMG-3190

Installation is actually pretty easy. You attach the L shaped brackets to the ends, remove your top - the bracket is compatible with hard top and soft top, attach with the long bolts, put the top back on.

Jeep Gladiator Project Red Dwarf IMG-3191

Jeep Gladiator Project Red Dwarf IMG-3192

The radio mounting bracket will work with the switch/radio bracket, I just need to get some small bolts and nuts to do it. The bracket has small grooves so the supplied hardware would not work. This will allow me to put a radio up out of the way, easy to reach, and allow me to add a aux switch controller later.

Looks like the river of rain is hitting us tonight so might be a couple days before I can add the light brackets.

Sponsored

TheHops

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Parts have been arriving over the last couple weeks. Today I installed the Rebel Offroad Rails.

Everything was well packaged, not an oversized box, hard foam to keep things in place.

Contents of the brown envelope - instructions and some swag. Got a decal - like that. :) And a bottle holder - probably never use it. So many manufacturers don't include a decal with their kits which is a shame, especially when they are cheap to make and sometimes the parts we are buying are a bit expensive. I think they forget that the Jeep community likes to advertise what we put on our rigs.

All the parts laid out. Let the fun begin.

Took a couple hours all together - I'm not the fastest on two feet, lots of crawling around on my knees.

Now to find some adjustable/slideable tiedowns. Hopefully the weather is nicer tomorrow - need to pop the roof off and unfasten the front window. Going to follow Ares's USB port install and need some room. Also have a CB bar to put on, and a-pillar/cowling light bracket - which I will do after I do not need the windshield down.
I'm glad the how-to was of some help!

Getting some bed rails is also on my short list of core modifications, so I can mount my camper shell that is supposed to come in next month.

Looking forward to seeing more of your build.

OP
OP
Walter-new jeeper

Walter-new jeeper

First Name
Walter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Another nice afternoon - time to unbox and install some light brackets.

I went with the Dee Zee light bracket set because the a-pillar bracket would allow me to put more accessories on it (like a gopro mount) and was very adjustable. Ordered from Quadratec.

https://www.quadratec.com/p/dee-zee...-light-brackets-jeep-wrangler-jl-gladiator-jt

The install today was just the cowl brackets - I need to go get some rubber stripping for the a-pillar. The a-pillar bracket us supposed to come with 2 strips of double sided tape, I only got one. But I don't think I want to use it because it will be sticking to the paint. I'll get something that will do the same thing but without sticking.

The a-pillar bracket will mount close to the window so I put the light mount forward.

Next - a-pillar and some light.

Unboxing:
Jeep Gladiator Project Red Dwarf IMG-3195

Jeep Gladiator Project Red Dwarf IMG-3196

Installation was easy.
Jeep Gladiator Project Red Dwarf IMG-3198

Jeep Gladiator Project Red Dwarf IMG-3197

OP
OP
Walter-new jeeper

Walter-new jeeper

First Name
Walter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
I'm glad the how-to was of some help!

Getting some bed rails is also on my short list of core modifications, so I can mount my camper shell that is supposed to come in next month.

Looking forward to seeing more of your build.
Not sure of others, but one reason I went with Rebel Offroad is that the rails are rated at a higher weight capacity than the Mopar ones. Hind-sight 20/20 I almost wish I had gotten the factory installed rails and cargo managment system - it would have come with the lockable underseat storage and a power outlet in the bed.

TheHops

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Not sure of others, but one reason I went with Rebel Offroad is that the rails are rated at a higher weight capacity than the Mopar ones. Hind-sight 20/20 I almost wish I had gotten the factory installed rails and cargo managment system - it would have come with the lockable underseat storage and a power outlet in the bed.
Personally, I am planning on going with Builtright rails. They claim that they are not only stronger than Mopar, but are nearly identical to original spec, which is necessary for me because I will be mounting a camper shell that is designed to use the Mopar rails.

Having the rails installed from the factory would have been nice for sure, but I don't miss the whole package much. I prefer the open underseat storage (a bit more space for my overflowing recovery gear), and I wouldn't have had a use for the bed outlet anyway. I repurposed that spot for my solar panel input, so having an empty plate there worked out well for me in the end.

OP
OP
Walter-new jeeper

Walter-new jeeper

First Name
Walter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Another dry day. May soon be a thing of the past as we get deeper into Fall.

Today's work involved a bit of contortion. I bought a set of seat jacks from Desert Does It - https://desertdoesit.com/collection...p-wrangle-jl-and-gladiator-front-seat-jackers.

First issue was that the seat bolts on the Gladiator are male torx bolts so had to go buy a set of torx sockets. My Wrangler had female torx bolts so was able to use the torx bits. After some contortions I got the seat jackers installed - so now I have a bit of a tilt in the front of the seat. I think this is a better solution than using a couple large nuts as spacers.
Jeep Gladiator Project Red Dwarf IMG-3204
Jeep Gladiator Project Red Dwarf IMG-3205
Jeep Gladiator Project Red Dwarf IMG-3206

Next was installing the A-Pillar brackets (see prior post regarding installation of the cowl brackets). Did not want to use the double sided sticky tape so went and bought some weather stripping foam tape and used that instead.

Jeep Gladiator Project Red Dwarf IMG-3199
Jeep Gladiator Project Red Dwarf IMG-3202
Jeep Gladiator Project Red Dwarf IMG-3203

Next was installing (but not wiring in) some lights. I purchased these back in June before I ordered the Gladiator, they were for the Wrangler. I got a set of Rigid Industries D-Series Pro Driving lights and a set of Rigid Industries D-SS Floods. I decided to not use the accessory bracket from Dee Zee and put the D-Series Pro on the cowl, and the D-SS floods higher. Need to purchase an amber lens for the D-Series Pro so I can use it on the dusty trails.
Jeep Gladiator Project Red Dwarf IMG-3207
Jeep Gladiator Project Red Dwarf IMG-3208

Next up is wiring up the lights. Will get a light bar at a later time. And a stop at Best Buy to see what Gopro mounts they have that might work with the bracket on the a-pillar.

OP
OP
Walter-new jeeper

Walter-new jeeper

First Name
Walter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Been a while since I was able to do any work. Wrecking your shoulder does not help - had surgery back in January to repair it. Still not fully functional but getting there. Decided to work on the bridge of Red Dwarf today. About a 1.5 months ago I ordered a bar to attach stuff to from Vector Offroad - the JL E-Dock/Gladiator full width - https://vectoroffroad.com/collections/gladiator-products/products/jl-tube-dockbar.

Along with it I got the 67 Designs 1" Tube E-dock Phone Mounting Pack - https://vectoroffroad.com/collections/gladiator-products/products/e-dock-upgrade-pack. I think when I bought it from Vector Offroad it was cheaper through them than from 67 Designs.

Did order other parts from 67 Designs - https://www.67d.com/ :
Mounting Clamps for 1" ~ 1.5" ~ 1.75" ~ 2" OD Tube - 25.4mm / 1"
Carbon Fiber Arms - Polished - G2 - Small
Holder for Apple iPad Pro 9.7 - Naked
Cable Clip - Matte Black / One
GoPro® Camera Mounts G2 - Option 2 - Connects directly to a 20mm diameter metal ball

Time to unbox the E-Dock - all pieces in one long box.
Jeep Gladiator Project Red Dwarf IMG_3330

Well wrapped.
Jeep Gladiator Project Red Dwarf IMG_3331

Everything there, looks good. No scratches.
Jeep Gladiator Project Red Dwarf IMG_3332

Installation was easy enough - lost one of the bolts from the driver side recess when I was removing it - so it will probably fall to me feet when I am driving some day. It probably would have been easier to install with the window dropped, but I was able to do it - did not want to un-install the a-pillar brackets and lights.

Jeep Gladiator Project Red Dwarf IMG_3334
Jeep Gladiator Project Red Dwarf IMG_3335

Jeep Gladiator Project Red Dwarf IMG-0031.JPG

The iPad holder I am not sure about - my device easily slides in and out of it. Nothing to really hold it in place securely. Might put some felt pads to help make it snug.

I went with the tubular option over their flat t-bar option to allow more flexibility in positioning the arms.

Next up - fix the bed rails (I stripped a couple of the screw heads - used the wrong tool - and Rebel Offroad was nice enough to send me some replacements. Then I can install the rack, tonneau cover, and fridge slide.

Note - for the rails I tried a couple different things - the local hardware stores do not sell the correct sized channel nuts. The bar is only about 1.25 inches, the stores were selling 1.5 inch nuts.
Got a set of tie down cleats for the Toyota's - they do not tighten down enough to lock it in place. Got a set of 1.25 channel nuts from Unistrut, bolt hole too small. Now I have a set of Teraflex Uinta Cleats on the way. Waiting on these before I can do the rack and cover since I need to put the cleats in while putting the rack and cover on.
Sponsored