Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sting-Gray JTR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Auto Tech
Axeman’s JTR

Decided to start a rig journal for members looking for specifics on mods. I often find myself scrolling through other build to get inspiration and find out how some mods are holding up. I’ll share mine to help others.

I was bit by the ‘Jeep Bug’ last year when the Gladiator came out. I have always had trucks, mostly Silverados, but a few Tacos in the past. I’ve never owned a brand-new vehicle as I knew the immediate depreciation as soon as you drive off the lot. I figured I’d wait a few years on the Gladiator until some lease turn-ins became available at a lower price. I bought a 2006 TJ to have as a 2nd vehicle in the meantime to satisfy the itch. That only lasted a year, but it did teach me a few valuable lessons. I bought the TJ for wheeling and camping. I spent a year restoring it, lifting it, and modding it. What I learned is that it is cheaper to buy a Rubicon than turn a sport into one, TJs fill up quickly when you want to go camping, and of course, “buy once, cry once”.

Fast forward to this past April. I still wanted the Gladiator. I sold my TJ and traded my 2013 Silverado. With what is going on these days with used cars and prices being through the roof on them, I couldn’t wait any longer. I found that I could buy new even cheaper with FCA’s incentives offering well below MSRP (I suspect such great offerings are keeping the plants open during these tough times). So that led to my 2021 Sting-Gray JT Rubicon.

I’ll start updating with posts of the build with links soon but here’s a few photos.

My 06 TJ X when I brought it home:
Jeep Gladiator Axeman's Rig Journal 1624802095697

Wheeling the TJ:
Jeep Gladiator Axeman's Rig Journal 1624802134677

Selling the TJ and trading the 2013 Silverado Z-71
Jeep Gladiator Axeman's Rig Journal 1624802185661

Me with the New JTR at the Dealer the day I bought it:
Jeep Gladiator Axeman's Rig Journal 1624802220173

The JTR as it sits now with 35s
Jeep Gladiator Axeman's Rig Journal 1624802280781

Thanks for checking out my rig out and standby for more to follow
Sponsored

OP
OP
Axeman

Axeman

First Name
Axel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sting-Gray JTR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Auto Tech
First thing I wanted for truck was a tonneau cover. I wanted a lockable rolling cover to gear the in the bed dry and somewhat safe. I landed on the Bakflip Revolver X4s. After seeing the deal a fellow forum member got on it on a thread I started for the X4s I jumped on. I called Bakflip and they discounted it down from $1,078 to $880. After a few weeks of use 2 of the slats disconnected causing a dip in the cover. They sent out a new replacement within a few weeks and it has been working okay since.

Bakflip X4s
https://bakflip.com/p/bak-revolver-x4s-tonneau-cover/v/jeep/gladiator/2021/

Jeep Gladiator Axeman's Rig Journal IMG_2864

Jeep Gladiator Axeman's Rig Journal IMG_2877

OP
OP
Axeman

Axeman

First Name
Axel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sting-Gray JTR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Auto Tech
Next was upgrading the plastic bumper to a winch capable bumper. I scored a NIB Rugged Ridge 10k Trekker wireless winch with synthetic cable of FB marketplace for $350.

I originally wanted the LoD mid-width bumper for the clean factory look that accepted OEM foglight and still offered some protection for the front wheels and suspension. The lead times and cost led me to look elsewhere though. I ended up going with the Rugged Ridge Arcus front bumper. The stubby bumper is stamped steel, lightweight, accepts OEM fogs and has a recessed winch plate. I bought it from quadratec on sale for right around $500 shipped.

RR Trekker Winch 10k
RR Arcus Bumper
Jeep Gladiator Axeman's Rig Journal IMG_2951

Jeep Gladiator Axeman's Rig Journal IMG_2952

Jeep Gladiator Axeman's Rig Journal IMG_2953

Jeep Gladiator Axeman's Rig Journal IMG_2957

Fcmalie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2021 Mojave
Build Thread
Link
OP
OP
Axeman

Axeman

First Name
Axel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sting-Gray JTR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Auto Tech
Nice setup, I have the same tonneau cover and am working with a rack company to make a bracket to mount directly to the tonneau rail instead of having to put brackets under the tonneau rails and losing the bit of waterproofing it gives. The company is https://xtrusion-overland.com/products/xtr1-bed-rack-for-jeep-gladiator
I would definitely be interested in seeing what you get. I too was hoping to use the T-slots for a rack. The best I've seen so far is the Front Runner mid-rise arms and crossbars. They still allow the cover to be rolled most of the way open but don't offer a lot of mounting options for gear like a bed rack does.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Axeman

Axeman

First Name
Axel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sting-Gray JTR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Auto Tech
Next was adding some more protection underneath. Trails in New England are rocky, and with this wheelbase you just about drag on everything. I started with the lowest points first such as Control arms and shocks, differentials. Then I added an engine/ transmission skid. I didn't want the full underbelly skid kits that cost $1-2k and are heavy. This is my DD that I wheel with a few times a month.
Front & Rear Ranch Diff Sliders around $150/ea
RockHard Lower CA skids & rear shock skids around $145 after discount
Rusty's Frame side Rear Lower CA skid $90
Asfir Aluminum Engine/Trans Skid $235

Jeep Gladiator Axeman's Rig Journal IMG_3081

Jeep Gladiator Axeman's Rig Journal IMG_3082

Jeep Gladiator Axeman's Rig Journal IMG_3083

Jeep Gladiator Axeman's Rig Journal IMG_3084

Sorry about the dirty pics, this was after a day of wheeling. I didn't think to take pictures during the install of any.

Jeep Gladiator Axeman's Rig Journal IMG_2989

I still need to pick up a few more skids. The factory FAD is pretty weak so I will reinforce that, then likely a skid for the exhaust bend from SkidRow

OP
OP
Axeman

Axeman

First Name
Axel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sting-Gray JTR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Auto Tech
Picked up a set of lightly used 35x12.50 Dick Cepek tires of FB marketplace for $650 for all 5. I wanted to have them mounted on the stock Rubi wheels for now, but couldn't get a shop to put a 12.5 on a 7.5 rim.

I ended up just getting a set of the Dirty Life DT-1 17x9s. I wanted a wheel with removable rash rings after destroying the set I had on my TJ. The Mopar bead lock ready wheels were ideal, but at only 8" wide, I was worried I would run into the same issue with local shops. Most 12.5s require an 8.5" rim or wider by spec, so I went with the 17x9. These DT-1s are also bead lock capable if you opt for the real outer ring.

Dirty Life DT-1s

Jeep Gladiator Axeman's Rig Journal IMG_3013

Plasti-dipped the rash rings red to match the red accents of the Rubicon.
Jeep Gladiator Axeman's Rig Journal IMG_3032

Jeep Gladiator Axeman's Rig Journal IMG_3033

mx5red

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Firecracker JTR; 2020 DGC JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Nice! Pretty much my exact plan so far with skids and such..

OP
OP
Axeman

Axeman

First Name
Axel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sting-Gray JTR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Auto Tech
Nice! Pretty much my exact plan so far with skids and such..
I ran into pretty much all the same stuff you see on the forum with the skids I got. The Rusty's frame side CA skids required the drilling out of one of the bolt holes to line up, the RockHard shock skids didn't come with longer bolts and the factory ones will be too short, and the Rancho front diff skid U-bolt is too short for the JT's Dana 44. Little things but I made it all work.

mx5red

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Firecracker JTR; 2020 DGC JLUR
Build Thread
Link
I ran into pretty much all the same stuff you see on the forum with the skids I got. The Rusty's frame side CA skids required the drilling out of one of the bolt holes to line up, the RockHard shock skids didn't come with longer bolts and the factory ones will be too short, and the Rancho front diff skid U-bolt is too short for the JT's Dana 44. Little things but I made it all work.
Hadn’t seen that with the shock skids.. mine have been waiting months for time to install, guess I’ll get some extra just in case they’re too short!

Sponsored

OP
OP
Axeman

Axeman

First Name
Axel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sting-Gray JTR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Auto Tech
Picked up a Mopar 2" Lift. Found it brand new in the crate still on FB Marketplace for $800. Had to take 6 hour, 370 mile roundtrip to get it, but it was well worth the deal.
Jeep Gladiator Axeman's Rig Journal IMG_3103

Jeep Gladiator Axeman's Rig Journal IMG_3106

Jeep Gladiator Axeman's Rig Journal IMG_3107

Took me just under 5 hours to install it. I put the Teraflex 1" front coil spacers in at the same time so it would sit closer to level.
Jeep Gladiator Axeman's Rig Journal IMG_3111

Jeep Gladiator Axeman's Rig Journal IMG_3112

Jeep Gladiator Axeman's Rig Journal IMG_3113

Very happy with the result. I will post some before and after pictures after it stops raining. Sits level now, but the front axle is a little offset and I will be shopping for an adjustable track bar. I'm hoping to wear out the 35s before I start looking for 37s.

OP
OP
Axeman

Axeman

First Name
Axel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sting-Gray JTR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Auto Tech
Well it's still raining hard here with Elsa making her way through but I figured I'd snap a few pics in the parking garage when I was in town this morning.
Jeep Gladiator Axeman's Rig Journal IMG_3119

Swallowed up my 35s...
Jeep Gladiator Axeman's Rig Journal IMG_3117

OP
OP
Axeman

Axeman

First Name
Axel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sting-Gray JTR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Auto Tech
Took a ride to a local off-road park today. Big difference in clearance with the lift and tires over the last time I was on trails.
Jeep Gladiator Axeman's Rig Journal IMG_3139

Jeep Gladiator Axeman's Rig Journal IMG_3130

Jeep Gladiator Axeman's Rig Journal IMG_3136

Jeep Gladiator Axeman's Rig Journal IMG_3138

tfranks

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland
Next was adding some more protection underneath. Trails in New England are rocky, and with this wheelbase you just about drag on everything. I started with the lowest points first such as Control arms and shocks, differentials. Then I added an engine/ transmission skid. I didn't want the full underbelly skid kits that cost $1-2k and are heavy. This is my DD that I wheel with a few times a month.
Front & Rear Ranch Diff Sliders around $150/ea
RockHard Lower CA skids & rear shock skids around $145 after discount
Rusty's Frame side Rear Lower CA skid $90
Asfir Aluminum Engine/Trans Skid $235

Sorry about the dirty pics, this was after a day of wheeling. I didn't think to take pictures during the install of any.

I still need to pick up a few more skids. The factory FAD is pretty weak so I will reinforce that, then likely a skid for the exhaust bend from SkidRow
Which skids do you think are most helpful? I don't offroad as often as I'd like but I do get out occasionally and this is my daily driver so I don't do the trails that are beyond my capabilities but I would like to protect the most commonly damaged spots if possible. I have an overland so very little protection from the factory.

Thanks

OP
OP
Axeman

Axeman

First Name
Axel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sting-Gray JTR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Auto Tech
Which skids do you think are most helpful? I don't offroad as often as I'd like but I do get out occasionally and this is my daily driver so I don't do the trails that are beyond my capabilities but I would like to protect the most commonly damaged spots if possible. I have an overland so very little protection from the factory.

Thanks
Once the damage is done its done. Skids are cheap insurance. I think the most common is the rear lower control mounts on the frame side. They get bashed easily. Then go with the axle-side control arm skids because they are low and easy to bend. The diff skids are nice for sliding over, but not as necessary because the axle housings are pretty solid. You are more likely to peel the diff cover off the housing than to damage it, I just like the ability to slide and not get hung up
Sponsored