Sponsored

Electric chainsaw? Can we power it from 110v outlet in bed? Or better off with battery?

Mac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Hydro Blue Max Tow
I have both an electric chainsaw and sawsall, the sawsall with a 16” demolition blade is very close to as capable as the chain saw and I find it easier to use and more compact to take with me as it doesn’t require bar oil and I can remove the blade and store it next to the saw as well as carry spares, also if the blade gets pinched in a bind I can just disconnect the saw and put in another blade to cut it out.
Sponsored

ACAD_Cowboy

First Name
Francis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 jkur
They make prunning blades for the sawzall and damn they can move some wood. Not pretty but if you need to open the way, handy for sure.

Gvsukids

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Occupation
Delivery Driver
I have both an electric chainsaw and sawsall, the sawsall with a 16” demolition blade is very close to as capable as the chain saw and I find it easier to use and more compact to take with me as it doesn’t require bar oil and I can remove the blade and store it next to the saw as well as carry spares, also if the blade gets pinched in a bind I can just disconnect the saw and put in another blade to cut it out.
20V?

texanjeeper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport-S Granite Crystal Metallic
Occupation
I.T.
Um....why not gas?

Sponsored

AXISJT

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TJ Wrangler, Gladiator ecodiesel sport
Occupation
Lab manager
I have the 16in Ryobi and love it I haven't tried to charge the batteries from the bed but I can try and report back

bleda2002

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR Firecracker Red
They make prunning blades for the sawzall and damn they can move some wood. Not pretty but if you need to open the way, handy for sure.
I cut down and split up 3 orange trees with a sawzall in no time flat with a pruning blade. Sure the chain saw would have been a little quicker, but the sawzall definitely got the job done and it is handy to just carry extra blades. Really only need the chainsaw if you're cutting something major.

Sponsored

Geo Jeep

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gobi Gladiator Sport S (Max Tow)
Occupation
Geologist
I've got the Ryobi 12" battery powered with multiple batteries including some 9AH. Works great and doesn't break the bank. Figured that one out affter we rented a Jeep in Washington state and got trapped by not 1 but 2 downed trees on a windy day. Fortunately only a mile away were some guys working on a house that had chainsaws.

ACAD_Cowboy

First Name
Francis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 jkur
no idea why people mess around with anything but an actual Stihl brand gas powered chain saw.....
Probably doing the math on acquisition cost being amortized over potential number of uses being a huge turn off. I Love me some Stihl but at a considerable increase versus my Husquavarna, the math doesn't work.

As for electric units, far easier for the hobby jeeper to manage, sharpen it occasionally and keep the oil full is the limit of know how they have to have.

AmishMike

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon, 56 Coronet, 65 Dune Buggy,
Occupation
Whipping boy
I have heated with wood for 15 years and have 4 Stihl's......well 3 1/2 now. Employees don't always mix gas......
So, yes a cordless one sounds great for trimming around the property when I am not there. Also would be good for trails. Especially when bushwacking on unofficial trails.
The cost of one cordless saw is probably cheaper than getting paint buffed out from trail rash.
Cordless also seems safer than having a cord to trip over.

Caspien

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR, 2020 GC Trailhawk
Occupation
I.T. Architect
Toss my vote in here, for a battery powered one.

I recommend EGO, over others... Why? because they have inverters and generators that run off the same battery, so may as well have multiple use toys while on the trail.

... and no.. I'd never used EGO, until this year, after seeing a bunch of the Wrangler groups talk about their inverters and generators.. When I started doing research, every one of my friends that do lawn care for a living, actually all recommended Ego, for battery powered, hands down.

I thought they must have been exaggerating.. surely nothing battery powered could be much different than the Kobalt I had....

..... and I was wrong. Holy CRAP was I wrong.

(and now I own a whole slew of EGO stuff.. and it's all amazingly powerful :)

~ Casp

sharpsicle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland, 2002 VTX1800
Toss my vote in here, for a battery powered one.

I recommend EGO, over others... Why? because they have inverters and generators that run off the same battery, so may as well have multiple use toys while on the trail.

... and no.. I'd never used EGO, until this year, after seeing a bunch of the Wrangler groups talk about their inverters and generators.. When I started doing research, every one of my friends that do lawn care for a living, actually all recommended Ego, for battery powered, hands down.

I thought they must have been exaggerating.. surely nothing battery powered could be much different than the Kobalt I had....

..... and I was wrong. Holy CRAP was I wrong.

(and now I own a whole slew of EGO stuff.. and it's all amazingly powerful :)

~ Casp
EGO is great. Personally I went with the similar Ryobi setup due to the availability and significant price drop vs. the EGO. Those looking to get this result but are turned off by price should consider the Ryobi as well as the EGO.

Considering the Ryobi chainsaw was able to completely take down my oak tree in the front yard, I can only imagine how the EGO would impress me.
Sponsored