Sponsored

Rust, does anybody make aftermarket accessories that don't rust.

riplipper

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport
I live at the beach. Almost every morning I have salt on my windshield. So its pretty bad.
I have had many jeeps since 1973 and have probably done over 100 mods to them in total.
EVERY!!! Aftermarket steel piece I have added in all those years has rusted. Some much worse than others. Chromed, powder coated, painted, even stainless, they all have rusted.
Not sure of the brand, but neighbor just added tubular doors to his jeep and 5-6 months later they are already showing rust where the welds are. His winch bumper lasted almost a year before rusting and I know that was not a cheap bumper.
Frankly, I am gun shy of doing any additions where I live. Any thoughts??
Sponsored

OP
OP

riplipper

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport
Genright offroad makes aluminum accessories that shouldn't rust.
Yeah, I should have noted. Have had powder coated aluminum parts as well. The paint begins to bubble up on them wherever the bolts attach or any place a small chip shows up.

I am VERY happy to report that in nine months the paint underneath my jeep is still holding up very well. I probably should not have said that.

I know it can be made, tons of boats here with all kinds of painted aluminum hold up very well. I guess its just in how well they are painted in the factory.

Last edited:

Glendawg619

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'13 2 door JKR, '20 JTR, '21 JTR Diesel
Build Thread
Link
Correct, but as far as I know aluminum oxide will not chip off and continue to corrode, just the surface will oxidize then the rest of it should be permanently protected. I could be wrong though..

Sponsored

SteveInOrlando

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
Software Design
Correct, but as far as I know aluminum oxide will not chip off and continue to corrode, just the surface will oxidize then the rest of it should be permanently protected. I could be wrong though..
You are.

I have seen Aluminum parts that completely rotted away just like steel. Too many years in the aircraft world. Aluminum holds up better than steel, is lighter, and stronger per pound, but it does corrode and can get to where the integrity is compromised.

I have no answer for the salt corrosion thing. I have an aftermarket gladiator style front steel bumper and every seam and bolt have corrosion at 1 yr old.

OP
OP

riplipper

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport
It will continue to corrode where there is a dissimilar metal touching it, like a steel bolt. Just an FYI.

OP
OP

riplipper

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport
You are fighting a loosing battle. Unless you prep, prime and use marine grade paint, your steel, even stainless over time, will return to the earth from whence it came.
Well said...I think where I live aftermarket accessories are just way too much work to be worth it. Luckily, I am OK with plain....other than a bit of lift. cheers.

Sponsored

Trickster

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JT HA, 22 Volvo V60 CC, 76 Fiat 124,
Occupation
Heavy equipment operator
Rinse it everyday?
Saw this in Florida years ago when visiting relatives that live on the beach in Delray. All the old retired guys throwing buckets of water over their big ole Caddy’s every morning.

Trippin01

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lexus RX450h, 23' Supra
Occupation
Deputy Sheriff & Retired Army
Vehicle Showcase
1st world problem. Once a year I take a little sand paper and black spray paint to the non- aluminum parts. No aluminum sliders, skid plates or winch bumpers for me. That said, I'm not a fan of powder coated jeep parts either, its about as durable as particle board lawn furniture. I hope you find what you need because that would be frustrating on a new vehicle, and its not like rust hasn't been a problem since the 1st model A rolled off the assembly line.

USMC-SSGT

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Overland
Occupation
Aluminum tubing transport
I love it. It’s like a lease and gives me a reason to try something new.

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You are.

I have seen Aluminum parts that completely rotted away just like steel. Too many years in the aircraft world. Aluminum holds up better than steel, is lighter, and stronger per pound, but it does corrode and can get to where the integrity is compromised.

I have no answer for the salt corrosion thing. I have an aftermarket gladiator style front steel bumper and every seam and bolt have corrosion at 1 yr old.
I've seen some badly corroded airplane parts. But typically they were DECADES old. Not just a few years.
Sponsored