Axle strength and tire size

JTPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JT Rubicon
Occupation
Proto Shop Technician
Just sitting around and got to thinking. Since these axles on the JT rubicon's and max tow's are supposed be stronger than their predecessors. How big of a tire does one think can be used, daily and also on the trial in tough situations? I know most will use 37" ,which I have and do use and have had no issues with but, lets say maybe 40's, think the axles would hold up?
Sponsored

Chris262

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Auto Technician
35-37 is probably the safest bet any bigger than that something is gonna give. Could you be okay for a while yeah maybe... if you never do anything but drive to work and back. As soon as you start putting any shock on the drivetrain you're on borrowed time.

OP
OP
JTPatriot

JTPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JT Rubicon
Occupation
Proto Shop Technician
35-37 is probably the safest bet any bigger than that something is gonna give. Could you be okay for a while yeah maybe... if you never do anything but drive to work and back. As soon as you start putting any shock on the drivetrain you're on borrowed time.
Yeah kind of what I was thinking also. As stated, just thinking and wondering out loud.

kevman65

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
J
If you went 40's and were off roading, then at minimum truss the housings.
But then you'd end up being like most and going to 60's so you'd be doing it twice.

Oh, not to mention the cast aluminum knuckles are an extremely weak point.

Chris262

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Auto Technician
Just remember you can upgrade to stronger components but then anything that wasn't has now become the weak link. Thats where the old just empty every pocket phrase comes from...

Sponsored

Lateralus

Banned
Banned
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Do rubicon and max tow have thicker tube walls than standard D44 or are they just wider with lower gears?

I think D44 axles should be standard on all jl and jt models.

bleda2002

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR Firecracker Red
Do rubicon and max tow have thicker tube walls than standard D44 or are they just wider with lower gears?

I think D44 axles should be standard on all jl and jt models.
Yes thicker and wider.

WK2JT

First Name
Darren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTC
Vehicle Showcase
So all JT’s get Heavy Duty D44’s. Only the Rubicon, Max Tow, HA, and Mojave get the extra wide axles. Can anyone confirm the non extra wide are not 10mm thick tubes? If so, what does the heavy duty mean in terms of all these axles, regardless of the width?

Mac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Hydro Blue Max Tow
If you went 40's and were off roading, then at minimum truss the housings.
But then you'd end up being like most and going to 60's so you'd be doing it twice.

Oh, not to mention the cast aluminum knuckles are an extremely weak point.
I have not seen any threads about knuckle failures or damage, how do they fail? What is weak about them?

mx5red

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Firecracker JTR; 2020 DGC JLUR
Build Thread
Link
I have not seen any threads about knuckle failures or damage, how do they fail? What is weak about them?
Couple people on here showed wallowed out holes where the ball joints (uppers I believe) go. Thought the ball joint failed, but after taking ball joint out, the hole wasn’t round.

Reactions: Mac

Sponsored

kevman65

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
J
Look in JL land. 40's and the aluminum knuckles are not a good combo. There's a reason the Mojave has cast iron knuckles.

@mx5red brings up another good point. Though they aren't the main cause of failure, the factory standard duty ball joints are also too weak to support 40's.

When someone upgrades to 60's, the 60's come with either cast iron or forged steel knuckles and heavy duty ball joints.

ThatStinging_Jeep

First Name
Dylan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon In Sting Gray
Vehicle Showcase
Just sitting around and got to thinking. Since these axles on the JT rubicon's and max tow's are supposed be stronger than their predecessors. How big of a tire does one think can be used, daily and also on the trial in tough situations? I know most will use 37" ,which I have and do use and have had no issues with but, lets say maybe 40's, think the axles would hold up?
I know 35-37's will hold up as a daily but I'd still truss the axles for the peace in mind cause I know they will handle 40's when trussed but in that case I'd for sure upgrade the axle shafts,or wait until they'd break, probably no the best thing though tbh.

But the worst I've ever seen is the fad breaking cause of no truss on just 37's,but with a truss I've seen a guy on 40's just ripping that c out to were the ball joint area is it l......now that is bad,but the rest of the axle was fine I think
So best bet is just to go with a full armor kit from artec for peace in mind,or just the axle truss itself,better than nothing,and a set of rcv's and bam you got a strong front axle
But either way the internals are pretty damn strong like an older one ton axle

Last edited:

mx5red

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Sounds like the new D44s are about as strong as old one tons.

Sounds like ball joints and u joints are the weak links, probably can handle big tires but plan on throwing HD ball joints or maybe RCVs in there at some point.

mx5red

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
I know 35-37's will hold up as a daily but I'd still truss the axles for the peace in mind cause I know they will handle 40's when trussed but in that case I'd for sure upgrade the axle shafts,or wait until they'd break, probably no the best thing though tbh.

But the worst I've ever seen is the fad breaking cause of no truss on just 37's,but with a truss I've seen a guy on 40's just ripping that c out to were the ball joint area is it l......now that is bad,but the rest of the axle was fine I think
So best bet is just to go with a full armor kit from artec for peace in mind,or just the axle truss itself,better than nothing,and a set of rcv's and bam you got a strong front axle
I think we’re saying the same thing. Probably ok light duty, much wheeling I bet you’d need to replace ball joints and rcvs or axle shafts, and hardcore stuff do trusses and C’s.
Right?

Troybilt

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
troynemitz.smugmug.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
Occupation
Parks Operations
I'm running 38's on stock Rubicon. Main concern is ball joints so I'll be going to CVS and getting some RCV's at some point. 2nd most concern is FAD. Going to truss it. 3rd concern is rear axle shaft. Will go to chromoly. At that point it will be time to put on some 40's.
Sponsored