Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.mythreedom.com
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator & Wrangler JLU
Jeep Gladiator 🪛  Key Fob 101 - Know thy JT key fob 🪛 threedom

https://mythreedom.com

Not every JT/JL owner is familiar with what is inside of a factory JT / JL key fob.

Everyday, Threedom, through Instagram messages, FaceBook messages, Email messages, etc., gets messages, saying the following:
"My factory key fob, it's so big, I want to buy one of your small custom fobs, but I don't know anything about the fob or what the heck I need to do to changeover to one of your fobs... Can you help me"

Anyway with such messages in mind, this thread is started... Hopefully, the thread will be helpful to any guy, gal that desires lets call it, a little.... Factory Key Fob 101....

IF you have any questions, ask away... IF you have something to say regarding the disassembly, etc., let's hear it.. Help thy fellow JT /JL owner..

JT / JL Factory Key Fob Disassembled

Jeep Gladiator 🪛  Key Fob 101 - Know thy JT key fob 🪛 stock-fob-guts

Jeep Gladiator 🪛  Key Fob 101 - Know thy JT key fob 🪛 2323

Factory JT /JL key fob disassembly video click here.
Jeep Gladiator 🪛  Key Fob 101 - Know thy JT key fob 🪛 disassembly
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
Threedom

Threedom

Peak Sponsor (Level 2)
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.mythreedom.com
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator & Wrangler JLU
Many JT / JL owner's do not know that you can buy a base model JT /JL with manual door locks and crank-roll up windows.

A buttonless factory fob comes with the vehicle. (See pic)
Yes, it does have an RFID chip inside and it has the switch blade key... and it is the same size as the 3 and 4 button factory fobs.

Jeep Gladiator 🪛  Key Fob 101 - Know thy JT key fob 🪛 buttonlessfactory

Kevin_D

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S, 1971 J4000, a bunch of other stuff
Many JT / JL owner's do not know that you can buy a base model JT /JL with manual door locks and crank-roll up windows.

A buttonless factory fob comes with the vehicle. (See pic)
Yes, it does have an RFID chip inside and it has the switch blade key... and it is the same size as the 3 and 4 button factory fobs.

Jeep Gladiator 🪛  Key Fob 101 - Know thy JT key fob 🪛 buttonlessfactory
Is there a circuit board inside one of these, or just the RFID chip?

Kevin

OP
OP
Threedom

Threedom

Peak Sponsor (Level 2)
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.mythreedom.com
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator & Wrangler JLU
Is there a circuit board inside one of these, or just the RFID chip?

Kevin
@Kevin_D

Both circuit board and RFID chip are in the buttonless factory fob.

Here is a pic of a buttonless factory fob opened up.... the pieces..
Jeep Gladiator 🪛  Key Fob 101 - Know thy JT key fob 🪛 jl fob inside

Sponsored

OP
OP
Threedom

Threedom

Peak Sponsor (Level 2)
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.mythreedom.com
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator & Wrangler JLU
Is it hard to get the roll pin out so you can remove the key from the factory key holder? NO, it comes out really easily.

You can just push it out with a bulletin board push pin... careful though, as you can easily lose track of the little roll pin...

Remove the roll pin while the key holder is over a light colored towel. When the roll pin pushes out, it will fall into the towel and will be less apt to roll away.. and for you to lose track of it.

Roll Pin ---- Push Pin
Jeep Gladiator 🪛  Key Fob 101 - Know thy JT key fob 🪛 roll pin
Jeep Gladiator 🪛  Key Fob 101 - Know thy JT key fob 🪛 push pin

Factory Key Holder with key
Jeep Gladiator 🪛  Key Fob 101 - Know thy JT key fob 🪛 keyholder

Pushing out the Roll Pin with a Push Pin

Jeep Gladiator 🪛  Key Fob 101 - Know thy JT key fob 🪛 rollpinpush

Last edited:
OP
OP
Threedom

Threedom

Peak Sponsor (Level 2)
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.mythreedom.com
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator & Wrangler JLU
You go to start your JL/JT and when you press the ignition button, the Jeep does not start and you see this on the screen in front of you...

Jeep Gladiator 🪛  Key Fob 101 - Know thy JT key fob 🪛 not detected

Well, undoubtedly your fob battery is depleted. You'll need to replace the CR2450 battery in your fob.

Now, how to get the Jeep started so you can get home or to a store to buy a fob battery...

Do the following to get the Jeep started.....
With your foot firmly pressing down on the brake pedal, as displayed in the picture below, take the end of your fob and firmly press it against the start button.

Press firmly enough with the fob end to fully depress the start button.

Your Jeep will start and will continue to stay running until you press the ignition button to off...

Do know that if you turn off the Jeep you will have to do the same procedure to restart..... until you replace the CR2450 fob battery.

Easy way to remember which end of a factory fob or a Threedom fob to use for this procedure..

Just say to yourself... I'm not going to panic cause this thing is not starting.. I'm just going to use the fob end opposite of the panic button, to press firmly against the ignition button while I have the brake pedal firmly pushed down.

Jeep Gladiator 🪛  Key Fob 101 - Know thy JT key fob 🪛 deadfobbattery

Last edited:

KayboKabuk

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
82 CJ7 - 2022 Gladiator Rubicon on order
Occupation
Police Officer
I got my model M key four button (factory remote start) fob in before I got my Gladiator. The buttons seem to be a solid part of the key fob. Do the buttons actually work? They don’t seem to give when pushed.

punk'n

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
R.I.P '20 Overland (totaled) Welcome home '21 Rubi
I got my model M key four button (factory remote start) fob in before I got my Gladiator. The buttons seem to be a solid part of the key fob. Do the buttons actually work? They don’t seem to give when pushed.
They will work fine.

OP
OP
Threedom

Threedom

Peak Sponsor (Level 2)
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.mythreedom.com
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator & Wrangler JLU
@KayboKabuk

First off, Thanks for your purchase of a Threedom fob!

I encourage you to assemble your Threedom, Model M fob once you get your JT and see for yourself.

We've sold many Model M fobs and the reviews of the fob by our customer's has been very positive to say the least..

I'm quite confident you will be very pleased with the button press feel.. with the Model M, overall.

The Threedom Design Team put in many many hours in regard to the design of the Model M fob.

The Threedom Design Team knew getting the button press was critical...
Well, after multiple design changes our fob beta tester's told us we indeed finally got it right... the button press on our final design Model M fob, is such, that unwanted button presses are minimized and button pushes in general are lets say non mentionable... as in feels good..

While the button press feel may not please everyone, we have had minimal negative feedback in regard to button press feel in day to day fob use/ fob operation. With that said, THREEDOM has your back so to speak... see our refund policy.

Refund policy
Thank you for shopping at www.MyThreedom.com. If you are not 100% satisfied with your purchase, we are here to help! You can return the product and get a refund or exchange the product for another product. Please send an email to [email protected] to initiate the return.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Kevin_D

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S, 1971 J4000, a bunch of other stuff
They'll work great.
The earlier beta fobs had buttons that were easier to push, but then they were constanly being pushed while in your pocket!
The final versions are perfect.

Kevin

OP
OP
Threedom

Threedom

Peak Sponsor (Level 2)
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.mythreedom.com
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator & Wrangler JLU
For those not familiar with Threedom and our product offerings for the JT and JL, Threedom, encourages you to stop by the Threedom website and do some window shopping... :like:

Threedom, has more then one Model fob offering!

Since our original Model M and M+, we now have multiple fob offerings...

Fairly recently, we added our Model S+ ,.....that uses the factory 3/4 button pad, (we also have a , and we have a thin line dedicated to our Heroes... a Blue line, Red line, Green Line, Orange line and a Blue/Red combo are offered.

The Model S+ is smaller in size then the factory fob, and more then one user of the Model S+ has stated .... "It's a pleasure to have.. a pleasure to use"..

Anyway, we'll leave a light on for you.... stop by anytime.. https://mythreedom.com/

A few examples..
Jeep Gladiator 🪛  Key Fob 101 - Know thy JT key fob 🪛 Model S+ Subdued Fla
Jeep Gladiator 🪛  Key Fob 101 - Know thy JT key fob 🪛 Model S+ US Fla
Jeep Gladiator 🪛  Key Fob 101 - Know thy JT key fob 🪛 redline

Jeep Gladiator 🪛  Key Fob 101 - Know thy JT key fob 🪛 choose

Last edited:
OP
OP
Threedom

Threedom

Peak Sponsor (Level 2)
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.mythreedom.com
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator & Wrangler JLU
Whether you accidentally placed your factory key fob in the wash, dropped it in a puddle, swam with it, etc., there are plenty of ways you can get your Jeep key fob soaked by accident.

If this happens act quickly, do not delay.

Once you've realized you've gotten your key fob wet, you'll want to get it dried out as soon as you can. The longer you wait, the less likely your JL/JT fob will survive it's accidental bath day.

First off, DO NOT PUSH ANY FOB BUTTONS! Resist the urge to test the fob..

Carefully, turn the fob so it is facing button side downwards and dab the water off the fob with a piece of dry, clean cloth or with dry paper towels.

After doing this lay the fob, still facing button side down, on a dry cloth or on dry paper towels and leave it to drain for a few minutes.

Now, as if you were going to change your CR2450 battery, open the fob up, as shown in the earlier Mopar video.... Pry the side of the plastic case of the factory JL/JT fob off with a flat tip screwdriver. Remember, do not push any fob buttons.

Once you get the plastic case off and have access to the battery, carefully pry out / remove the CR2450 battery.

Let the fob lay on some clean dry paper towels now for a few more minutes..

Give the fob a few minutes to air dry and then with a T6 Torx driver, disassemble the factory fob. (watch the Threedom disassembly video posted earlier in this thread) Do not remove the RFID chip from the fob. The RFID chip is sealed in a water proof coating.

IF you see any water in the fob, use a Q-tip or piece small piece of paper towel to gently absorb that water.

You will have removed the circuit board ... be careful with it, but do gently dab off any water from it... Clean toilet paper dabbed/pressed gently against the circuit board will grab up water/moisture. As for the RFID chip in the fob... remember, leave it be... don't worry about it as it is sealed in a water tight coating.

IF, if your fob had been submersed in Salt Water, at this time using 90% rubbing alcohol, wipe the circuit board carefully with a wet cotton swab (dipped in the 90-percent isopropyl alcohol) to remove any leftover impurities on the circuit and then place the fob back on a clean dry cloth or clean paper towels.

Now.... there are different ideas on what to do next.. some will say seal up the fob and it's inner's (not the battery) in a bag of dry white rice. Leave all sealed up in the bag for 48 hrs. and then remove all the fob parts and reassemble the fob. Install a new CR2045 battery in that JL/JT fob (not the old battery) and then try the fob. Hopefully, you will have a positive result..

The other idea, rather then going the white rice route, is to use a hair dryer to dry the fob... the fob's inners.

Set on a very low heat setting, you spend a few minutes drying all the fobs inners with the hair dryer.

Dry for say 5 min., let the fob and it's inners cool off and then repeat the heating process.

You do this 2-3 times.. Remember, it is critical, not to use to hot a hair dryer, and to dry with the dryer for say 5 min. max, let the fob and it's inners cool off and then repeat the drying process.

After the 2-3 times drying with a hair dryer, Install a new CR2450 battery in that JL/JT fob (not the old battery) and then try the fob. Hopefully, you will have a positive out come.

Important: It's a good idea to replace the battery as a precaution, just in case it was damaged or depleted after the accidental submerging. Before installing the new battery, gently, clean the contacts on the circuit board with 90% isopropyl alcohol and let it dry before installing that new battery.

The above info is meant to be helpful... Threedom offers the preceding so you have an idea how to handle a soaked JL/JT factory key fob. Use the above info at your own risk... Threedom is in hopes that your fob survives it's accidental bath day but....

Last edited:

shyoung1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mojave(SOLD) 2023 F350 Superduty
Very good information!
Several times, with factory fob in pocket I have hit the panic button against the lowered tailgate while loading or unloading something. I can’t tell from pics, but have your fobs any raised edge that protects the panic button more so than stock fob?
Thanks for all your work on this! About to order an S+.

OP
OP
Threedom

Threedom

Peak Sponsor (Level 2)
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.mythreedom.com
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator & Wrangler JLU
Very good information!
Several times, with factory fob in pocket I have hit the panic button against the lowered tailgate while loading or unloading something. I can’t tell from pics, but have your fobs any raised edge that protects the panic button more so than stock fob?
Thanks for all your work on this! About to order an S+.
@shyoung1

The Threedom Models S and S+, both use the factory fob button pad. With that said, the button press with the Models S and S+ will be the same as with the factory fob.

With any fob, regardless of the fob design ..... if you lean against a fob as you do/did, you can and will inadvertently, press one or more buttons.. this is a given....

As for the Panic Button... You can, with a programmer such as a Tazer JL Mini, disable the panic button.

Also, another way that some JL/JT owner's, disable the fob panic button, is to open up the fob and with a tweezer, gently remove/pull the small black piece of rubber/the tiny, black button off of the circuit board contact for the panic alarm. That black button is easily put back in place. Threedom does not recommend you do this, but we know JL/JT owner's that have resorted to doing this.
Sponsored