Sponsored

1,000 mile impressions

turkeyboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR
I just rolled over 1,000 miles and thought some of you might be interested in my initial impressions.

Background
  • First Jeep (Gladiator Rubicon no modifications black, brown leather, dark dash)
  • Replaces 2010 Nissan Frontier 4x4 crew cab
  • Also have 2018 Honda Odyssey
Impressions
  • Fun to drive
  • Steering not as tight as my frontier or my odyssey, but not bad. Seems better when tires are inflated to 35 psi instead of 50 psi. A little squirrely, but not bad at all.
  • Decent power -- about the same as my frontier
  • Love the adaptive cruise -- works better than my odyssey
  • 8-speed tranny shifts very smoothly
  • no problem holding 72-75 mph up hills on the freeway but does downshift (can really only tell by watching rpms change because shifting is very smooth and quick)
  • wind noise is non-existent below 60 mph. some buffeting at higher speeds, but not too bad. I can hold a conversation in a normal tone of voice no problem. Definitely more buffeting than the frontier.
  • Lots of envious onlookers
  • my kids love it
  • Top is easy to remove. Was no problem with me and my teenage daughter to remove.
  • about 16.5 mpg overall. I live in a somewhat hilly area. probably about 70% in-town driving. MPG is about the same as my frontier
  • Love the brown leather seats. They look great in a black gladiator.
  • stereo is great.
  • back-up camera is great -- much more clear than the odyssey.
  • rear seat storage (behind and underneath) is better and easier to access than in my frontier.
  • More legroom in the back than my frontier.
  • great visibility out front
  • rear view mirrors small and not great
  • view out back through internal rear view mirror not great
  • hauls plywood like a champ (well, 4x8 sheets of lattice) :)
Sponsored

Jeepznthingz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon LE GCM
I just rolled over 1,000 miles and thought some of you might be interested in my initial impressions.

Background
  • First Jeep (Gladiator Rubicon no modifications black, brown leather, dark dash)
Impressions
  • Fun to drive
  • Steering not as tight as my frontier or my odyssey, but not bad. Seems better when tires are inflated to 35 psi instead of 50 psi. A little squirrely, but not bad at all.
  • no problem holding 72-75 mph up hills on the freeway but does downshift (can really only tell by watching rpms change because shifting is very smooth and quick)
  • wind noise is non-existent below 60 mph. some buffeting at higher speeds, but not too bad. I can hold a conversation in a normal tone of voice no problem. Definitely more buffeting than the frontier.
  • my kids love it
  • Top is easy to remove. Was no problem with me and my teenage daughter to remove.
  • about 16.5 mpg overall. I live in a somewhat hilly area. probably about 70% in-town driving. MPG is about the same as my frontier
  • stereo is great.
  • rear seat storage (behind and underneath) is better and easier to access than in my frontier.
On a scale of 1-10, 1 being horrible, 10 being fantastic, what do you grade it?

ScottieMac

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland 2018 Renegade Latitude Altitude
I have to conquer on all points. But the steering in my Overland feels tight, and being in a more rural area I am averaging at least 20mpg regularly. We will be going on a road trip next week and will post what the trip averaged.

Sponsored

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Jetta TDI RIP, 89' Civic SI, 2019 Pacifica Hybrid, 2020 GLADIATOR SPORT S "GLADYS"

5JeepsAz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1964 Kaiser-Willys Jeep Gladiator (SJ) 2dr long bed pickup truck
Build Thread
Link
Thank you. I'll be visiting the place below until my used LE becomes available

main_gate___jellystone_park_by_tyke44060-d7fzn9a.jpeg

Joe333x

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Subaru Forester 6sp

Background
Impressions
  • Fun to drive
  • my kids love it
  • stereo is great.
Thanks for the review. Im surprised but not surprised at the same time by the MPG being the same as the frontier, Frontier has a 4.0 v6 which has been in use for what atleast 10 years now? The Jeep has a newer 3.5 v6 with its silly start stop system and still only gets the same MPG as an older larger engine. Just proves to me that the start stop is an inane system.

wry_whiskey

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Overland Gladiator
Nice, thanks for the review - I just ordered the Overland and am currently driving a 2005 Frontier, so it's lovely to hear you like it.

OP
OP

turkeyboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR
Thanks for the review. Im surprised but not surprised at the same time by the MPG being the same as the frontier, Frontier has a 4.0 v6 which has been in use for what atleast 10 years now? The Jeep has a newer 3.5 v6 with its silly start stop system and still only gets the same MPG as an older larger engine. Just proves to me that the start stop is an inane system.
I don't mind the start stop system, but i agree that its effectiveness seems marginal. If i am at a long light, where the effectiveness would seem to be greatest, it often will not stay stopped for the entire light, even with my foot on the break and not moving at all. I believe it restarts because there is too much battery drain when the AC is blasting, etc. So if it only stays off for say 30 seconds at max, but sometimes only a few seconds if the light is short, it isn't clear how much potential gain exists.

Sponsored

homerun

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1996 XJ, 2004 Ford Ranger, 2013 Subaru Impreza, 1996 HD Springer Softtail, past jeep 1995 YJ
I don't mind the start stop system, but i agree that its effectiveness seems marginal. If i am at a long light, where the effectiveness would seem to be greatest, it often will not stay stopped for the entire light, even with my foot on the break and not moving at all. I believe it restarts because there is too much battery drain when the AC is blasting, etc. So if it only stays off for say 30 seconds at max, but sometimes only a few seconds if the light is short, it isn't clear how much potential gain exists.

according to this guy, the break even point for ESS is about 7 seconds. Stopped any shorter and you should have left the engine run, longer than 7 seconds and you are saving fuel. I am getting the manual tranny and I am excited because ESS only engages if I take the truck out of gear and release the clutch. If I know its a short stop, I will just keep the clutch pushed in.

audiophil2

First Name
PHIL
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep WJ
according to this guy, the break even point for ESS is about 7 seconds. Stopped any shorter and you should have left the engine run, longer than 7 seconds and you are saving fuel. I am getting the manual tranny and I am excited because ESS only engages if I take the truck out of gear and release the clutch. If I know its a short stop, I will just keep the clutch pushed in.

Not a fan of throw out bearings?

homerun

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1996 XJ, 2004 Ford Ranger, 2013 Subaru Impreza, 1996 HD Springer Softtail, past jeep 1995 YJ
Not a fan of throw out bearings?
Been driving a manual since 1999 (3 different ones). 159k on my YJ when I sold it, 165k on the Ranger, and 205K on my XJ. Never had a throw out bearing go bad. On the ranger I replaced the slave cylinder which was inside the bell housing, since I was in there anyway I replaced the clutch and throw out bearing and machined the the flywheel. But the throw out bearing was not the reason for that repair.

I have heard that is hard on the bearing, but until it bites me I guess I don't care.

Sorbs

First Name
Brian & Sunny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ram TRX, 2020 Gladiator LE
Vehicle Showcase
If the steering was a little tighter and the wind buffeting eliminated, I’d give it 10.
Great review and I concur from a JLR owner's perspective.

Folks not understanding that this is a Jeep, like folks on the JL forum buying a JL thinking that its going to handle like their BMW, will be harsh critics. Folks with Jeep Wrangler or truck experience will appreciate the JT, just like I appreciate our JLR coming from a TJ. I've also a Grand Cherokee, soon to be replaced by the JT, and wouldn't compare them at all. The GC is a different animal completely and also having had the GC in places where I wished I'd had a JT or JL.

Those willing to be persuaded by car reviewers, or yuppies that want everything to feel like the euro car they're replacing, will be disappointed...until they actually use the rig for its intended purpose...its top off on a warm sunny day or hip deep in the mud.

trez63

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Launch Edition, 2018 Acura NSX, 2016 Range Rover Sport SVR, 2018 Land Rover Discovery, 2017 Kawasaki Z900
Great review!
Keep the impressions coming folks, the rest of us who are waiting need this stuff to keep us fed.
My short test drive was very much in-line with your review. The best surprise to me was that the power was actually adequate.
Sponsored