1/4” wheel spacer on Mojave.

Planerdude

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave
Finally found a wheel I love for my Mojave. The only issue is it has a 45mm offset. Adding a 1/4” to 3/8” spacer will bring it back to the stock Mojave offset at 37mm.
My question is , will the studs need to be changed-lengthened, to accommodate the spacer?
Sponsored

Gren71

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JT sports S Max Tow (Sold) '23 Ram 1500
Occupation
Magician
Vehicle Showcase
Finally found a wheel I love for my Mojave. The only issue is it has a 45mm offset. Adding a 1/4” to 3/8” spacer will bring it back to the stock Mojave offset at 37mm.
My question is , will the studs need to be changed-lengthened, to accommodate the spacer?
I had 1/4in spacers on my JTMT stock rims, no issue with lug spacing.

I actually took them off recently because I didn't need them anymore. If you want them just pay shipping and they're yours.

JT1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Willys
+45mm offset at what width? The backspacing number is the only one that matters for inside clearance, and the offset only tells half that story.

OP
OP
Planerdude

Planerdude

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave
+45mm offset at what width? The backspacing number is the only one that matters for inside clearance, and the offset only tells half that story.
Until the wheel becomes wider than the tire, i don’t believe that is true. Offset is offset. My issue is the stud length not the offset.

JT1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Willys
Until the wheel becomes wider than the tire, i don’t believe that is true. Offset is offset. My issue is the stud length not the offset.
If you have a +45 offset on a 7.5 inch wide wheel, you have 6.2" of back space (including the thickness of the wheel bead). A +45 offset on a 8.5" wheel, you have 6.7" of backspace.. see where this is going? Offset allows you to calculate backspacing, but you have to use the other piece of info, wheel width.

Very few aftermarket wheels are 7.5" wide.. most are 8.5 or 9. A +45 9" wheel is going to be nearly an inch closer to your shocks and sway bar links than the stock wheels.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Planerdude

Planerdude

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave
If you have a +45 offset on a 7.5 inch wide wheel, you have 6.2" of back space (including the thickness of the wheel bead). A +45 offset on a 8.5" wheel, you have 6.7" of backspace.. see where this is going? Offset allows you to calculate backspacing, but you have to use the other piece of info, wheel width.

Very few aftermarket wheels are 7.5" wide.. most are 8.5 or 9. A +45 9" wheel is going to be nearly an inch closer to your shocks and sway bar links than the stock wheels.
Again , my issue is NOT, with the offset, it is with the stud length, attaching the spacers.

JT1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Willys
Again , my issue is NOT, with the offset, it is with the stud length, attaching the spacers.
I understand you want a 1/4" spacer. You can switch to an open lug nut to verify, but you'll have plenty of stud length. The reason I asked about the wheel width is if you are running a wider wheel than 7.5, you will still have an interference problem. That can be solved with 1.25" actual spacers and cutting your stock studs down to end with the result you want.

Does that make sense? Not trying to be difficult, but offset is nearly useless on a jeep because outside clearance is nearly infinite until you hit 12" or wider wheel width (then you hit the front bumper or rear of the fender at full lock). Backspace is the only thing that really matters, because you can't relocate your lower shock mounts more inboard or narrow your sway bar.

Renegade

First Name
Zac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT
Build Thread
Link
I understand you want a 1/4" spacer. You can switch to an open lug nut to verify, but you'll have plenty of stud length. The reason I asked about the wheel width is if you are running a wider wheel than 7.5, you will still have an interference problem. That can be solved with 1.25" actual spacers and cutting your stock studs down to end with the result you want.

Does that make sense? Not trying to be difficult, but offset is nearly useless on a jeep because outside clearance is nearly infinite until you hit 12" or wider wheel width (then you hit the front bumper or rear of the fender at full lock). Backspace is the only thing that really matters, because you can't relocate your lower shock mounts more inboard or narrow your sway bar.
Offset is useless when you don’t understand what it means. I personally find it more useful than backspacing when considering tire placement. Most interference is between the outer tire edges rather than the wheels.

OP- It might work, but most people avoid spacers of that type. Wheel adapter-style is preferred. What wheels are you looking at which are only available in +45?

OP
OP
Planerdude

Planerdude

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave
Offset is useless when you don’t understand what it means. I personally find it more useful than backspacing when considering tire placement. Most interference is between the outer tire edges rather than the wheels.

OP- It might work, but most people avoid spacers of that type. Wheel adapter-style is preferred. What wheels are you looking at which are only available in +45?
The wheel i like is the Verde Vex V11, 18x9.5
It is only avaiable in a 45 mm offset. They do make a 18x8.5 with a 34mm offset, but are currently out with no date on availability 😂

Reactions: JT1

Sponsored

JT1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Willys

Offset is useless is you don’t know wheel width period.
and on jeeps the outside edge is rarely the issue since you don’t tuck a Jeep like you do a car.

JT1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Willys
The wheel i like is the Verde Vex V11, 18x9.5
It is only avaiable in a 45 mm offset. They do make a 18x8.5 with a 34mm offset, but are currently out with no date on availability 😂
Buy that wheel and a 1.25 or 1.5 inch hubcentric spacer. Easy.

OP
OP
Planerdude

Planerdude

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave
Patience grasshopper...
I do like th
This one is similar in style to the V11, and is +30.

6D5BD9BD-7F6C-449A-8FB5-0BE79677D82E.png
according to my math, as well as 2 different offset calculators, i should only need 8mm thick spacer, to keep my inside tire edge , at the exact location it is with the stock wheel. If I’m wrong, please show me the math.🤔

JT1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Willys
I do like th

according to my math, as well as 2 different offset calculators, i should only need 8mm thick spacer, to keep my inside tire edge , at the exact location it is with the stock wheel. If I’m wrong, please show me the math.🤔
That wheel has a 5.93 inch back space, which is almost exactly stock Mojave backspace, you’ll be fine. The 9.5 inch wheel will need a bigger than .25” spacer
Sponsored