1 month of owning a JT - My thoughts so far

Xenephobe

First Name
Russell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Sport S
Well, I just passed the 1 month mark since I drove the JT off the lot. I'm sure we all have our reasons for getting a JT instead of a Wrangler or a different midsize truck, but for me, it was several reasons. I bought my first home a couple of years ago (a fixer upper) and I slowly found out how not having a truck (I had a 2011 Focus before this) was limiting me for what I could haul in regards to building materials and household items. I've always been a Jeep guy at heart, my first vehicle was a 1989 XJ, and I also owned a 1993 YJ and then a 1993 ZJ Grand Wagoneer. That thing was a beast and I was sad to scrap it last year. So when I learned that Jeep was delving into the truck market again, I was excited. I also work in a truck accessory shop, so I knew that if I got one, I would be able to get what I want for it dirt cheap and do all of the work myself. Putting all of those together, I finally pulled the trigger.

First things first, we all know this, but the 3.6 is a gas guzzler. I was seriously being spoiled by driving around my 30+ mpg Focus for several years. I probably won't being doing many cross country drives in the JT.

Having a box available to haul is sooo relieving. Every time I put a load into it I just have a smile on my face and think to myself (This is why I bought this)

I'm really surprised at how quiet and warm the JT is while driving with a hard top. My YJ had a soft top and it was the loudest thing in the world cruising down the interstate on a windy day and it was never warm inside during the winter.

Even though the JT has been out for almost a year, it still turns a lot of heads on the road and I've even been approached by people in parking lots asking about it.

I noticed pretty quickly that the windshield is a road debris magnet. I had a few close calls, but earlier this week I finally got hit with a rock that put a big crack into it. I'm guessing this is a result of the windshield being really vertical.

None of the vehicles I've owned have gotten dirty as quickly as the JT. I can go through one small puddle and the entire side of the truck is splashed. I guess mud flaps are in my near future.

I forgot how fun it is to mod a Jeep. My list isn't even close to finished, and I doubt it ever will be, but that's part of the charm of having a Jeep.

All in all, I'm still really enjoying the truck. I'm happy to finally be in a Jeep again and I'm really excited to load it up and take it on camping trips this summer, and of course, drive it topless!
Sponsored

Icebird1976

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1994 ZJ, 2020 Gladiator Rubicon
I'm loving mine also. I had been looking at a new 4wd that my wife could take to work in the winter, since my 94 ZJ really isn't so comfortable for long drives (no headliner, lifted). I test drove, over the course of 2 years, a few Cherokees, different trims of Grand Cherokees, and this past September, an Overland Gladiator. Really hadn't considered the Gladiator, simply because I didn't need a truck. Always loved Wranglers, but I needed something with cargo space and real towing capacity. Cherokee drove really nice, but the cargo space and fuel capacity were deal breakers. Grand Cherokee was great, but I'm still uneasy about the air suspension (was really going for Overland trim), plus the door handles feel extremely cheap. This past September, my wife retired, and no longer traveled 100 miles a day. So we test drove a few more Gladiators, and made our decision. All the utility and space I need, and the fun factor of a Wrangler! Decision made!

arosen1997

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Sport S
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
LAV Turret Technician
Having a box available to haul is sooo relieving. Every time I put a load into it I just have a smile on my face and think to myself (This is why I bought this)
Man top notch phrasing there:giggle:
I too love having a box to put loads in
Are the JL guys breaking as many windows? Makes me glad that glass coverage is part of my insurance with no deductible.
I've had mine for 3 months and already put a windshield in it, it's just how flat the glass is, doesn't matter if it's the JL or JT, such a vertical slope on the glass doesn't do well against impacts.

TrailHiker

First Name
Denny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator JT Sport S, Black 1946 CJ 2A
All trucks are gas guzzlers compared to most compact and mid size cars. The JT is not any worse than a lot of V8s in full size trucks. A Tacoma Off Road PU gets worse mpg than the JT, especially when towing the same size load.
Cheers

Sponsored

canyonrat

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gator Gladiator Rubicon, 2005 Jeep TJ RME
Mudflaps were my most surprising mod. As in, I bought them very grudgingly to run in winter only, but now I love them and plan to keep them on year round. So nice when minor puddles don't trash a freshly washed truck.

saintpauljeff

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Gladiator Rubi, '03 BMW Z4, '20 Mitsu OutSport
Occupation
Software Developer
First things first, we all know this, but the 3.6 is a gas guzzler.
guess it depends on where you are coming from... my Hummer H3 Alpha got me 10mpg in the winter, so this thing is a huge improvement

77badriand

First Name
B
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator, 2017 Jeep JK
All trucks are gas guzzlers compared to most compact and mid size cars. The JT is not any worse than a lot of V8s in full size trucks. A Tacoma Off Road PU gets worse mpg than the JT, especially when towing the same size load.
Cheers
Previous was a gmc sierra crew cab, 15-16.5 mpg. I get about 17-18 with 35's on gladiator, now that i have pedal commander it is tad less but totally worth it.

TYJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
Love my JT too! I’m averaging 16.9mpg. Compared to 13.5mpg from my 2008 Honda Ridgeline I’m 3.4mpg happier... not to mention... it’s a Jeep!!! :jk:

Sponsored

Jammer

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JK JL on the way I hope

I've had mine for 3 months and already put a windshield in it, it's just how flat the glass is, doesn't matter if it's the JL or JT, such a vertical slope on the glass doesn't do well against impacts.
I've had my JL for almost 2 years and no problem with the windshield yet. It's just the way the glasses made because back in 2003 I had a H3 and on the Hummer it was straight up and down with windshield lot more than JLs JT's and it never got cracked and look at the old Hummers on the windshield I wish it were straight up now like I said and there are no problems. You got people in the winter time turning their defrost on and it cracks the windshield something's wrong with glass it's too thin.somebody that had an after-market one installed has not had a crack yet. The installer said the factory one has pins that it goes on and it makes it flex more then the aftermarket.because it doesn't those pins that's what he told them. that does make sense. Most of the people that have the aftermarket ones are not cracking near as much or at all. But the aftermarket is better over all it will last longer or not crack. In over 42 years of driving all the many many vehicles I have owned I never once have I turned the defrost on in the winter and cracked the windshield like people are on the JL and JT . That doesn't make sense no other vehicles do that. That proves is flexing too much and too thin

77badriand

First Name
B
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator, 2017 Jeep JK
They make a gorilla glass for em, maybe worth the upgrade if yours is prone to cracks in the future.

OP
OP
Xenephobe

Xenephobe

First Name
Russell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Sport S
Are the JL guys breaking as many windows? Makes me glad that glass coverage is part of my insurance with no deductible.
After cracking my window and browsing the various threads on here about cracked windshields, I updated my insurance to a $0 glass deductible. Only raised my premium $2 a month.

Funny part is, as I was typing that, I I thought to myself how dirty that could sound. I just let her go anyways

Mudflaps were my most surprising mod. As in, I bought them very grudgingly to run in winter only, but now I love them and plan to keep them on year round. So nice when minor puddles don't trash a freshly washed truck.
I'm set on them now, I just need to decide on either Weather Techs or the RokBlokz. I can get the Weather Techs for significantly under retail through my work, so I may try those first, although I'm not that into the way they look.

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Sport S Max Tow; Honda Element
Well, I just passed the 1 month mark since I drove the JT off the lot. I'm sure we all have our reasons for getting a JT instead of a Wrangler or a different midsize truck, but for me, it was several reasons. I bought my first home a couple of years ago (a fixer upper) and I slowly found out how not having a truck (I had a 2011 Focus before this) was limiting me for what I could haul in regards to building materials and household items. I've always been a Jeep guy at heart, my first vehicle was a 1989 XJ, and I also owned a 1993 YJ and then a 1993 ZJ Grand Wagoneer. That thing was a beast and I was sad to scrap it last year. So when I learned that Jeep was delving into the truck market again, I was excited. I also work in a truck accessory shop, so I knew that if I got one, I would be able to get what I want for it dirt cheap and do all of the work myself. Putting all of those together, I finally pulled the trigger.

First things first, we all know this, but the 3.6 is a gas guzzler. I was seriously being spoiled by driving around my 30+ mpg Focus for several years. I probably won't being doing many cross country drives in the JT.

I'm really surprised at how quiet and warm the JT is while driving with a hard top. My YJ had a soft top and it was the loudest thing in the world cruising down the interstate on a windy day and it was never warm inside during the winter.

Even though the JT has been out for almost a year, it still turns a lot of heads on the road and I've even been approached by people in parking lots asking about it.

I noticed pretty quickly that the windshield is a road debris magnet. I had a few close calls, but earlier this week I finally got hit with a rock that put a big crack into it. I'm guessing this is a result of the windshield being really vertical.

None of the vehicles I've owned have gotten dirty as quickly as the JT. I can go through one small puddle and the entire side of the truck is splashed. I guess mud flaps are in my near future.

I forgot how fun it is to mod a Jeep. My list isn't even close to finished, and I doubt it ever will be, but that's part of the charm of having a Jeep.

All in all, I'm still really enjoying the truck. I'm happy to finally be in a Jeep again and I'm really excited to load it up and take it on camping trips this summer, and of course, drive it topless!

Oh good so I’m not imagining the gas consumption, mysteriously high mileage (9000 in 5 months) and ease of it getting dirty even running over a week old clod of dirt on the ground that fell off the fender from last week’s mudding
Sponsored