First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JTR - 2018 BMW 430i
Occupation
Retired
Ok fellas, Just wanting to see what ya'll come up with this scenario. The Queen says that after the 1st of the Year I can take 10k for lift and tires. I have a stock 2022 JTR. The aftermarket rims have already been purchased. What suspension system would you go with, shocks, stabilizer and tires. Can you have a pretty decent dream build for 10k? With money left over to do a regear? thinking 37"s possibly 40's down the road.
Sponsored

WILDHOBO

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Network Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
It completely depends on if you’re paying a shop for the labor, or doing it yourself. With 10k in parts, you can get a great lift, five 37’s, adjustable control arms, regear to 5.13, and get front RCV axle shafts, but not including labor.

Barnaby’sdad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘22 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Stuff
It completely depends on if you’re paying a shop for the labor, or doing it yourself. With 10k in parts, you can get a great lift, five 37’s, adjustable control arms, regear to 5.13, and get front RCV axle shafts, but not including labor.
That’s the kicker. If you’re planning on paying to have the suspension and/or gears installed, I’d scale back your expectations a bit for that budget.

$10K is a decent budget for a basic DIY build, but it’s not going to go far once you tack on $100+/hour for shop labor.

Heck…check out the price of tires. That alone is probably going to be ~1/3 of your budget.

WILDHOBO

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Network Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
That’s the kicker. If you’re planning on paying to have the suspension and/or gears installed, I’d scale back your expectations a bit for that budget.

$10K is a decent budget for a basic DIY build, but it’s not going to go far once you tack on $100+/hour for shop labor.

Heck…check out the price of tires. That alone is probably going to be ~1/3 of your budget.
I don’t disagree. I have a spreadsheet of every part on mine. If anyone is interested, PM me and I’m happy to share.

Barnaby’sdad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘22 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Stuff
I don’t disagree. I have a spreadsheet of every part on mine. If anyone is interested, PM me and I’m happy to share.
I did that for my XJ build years ago. For this one…I don’t want to know. 🤣

On tires…keep an eye out for the Walmart tire deal threads. If you’re not super picky, it would be a great way to save a few bucks on 37’s.

That and your CFO said that you can use $10K after New Years. Front load the suspension and/or gear purchase in CY 2022 to buy your CY 2023 budget a bit of a cushion. Happy Jeep, happy life. 🤡

Jeep Gladiator 10K for Lift 706BB1B8-416E-4B6C-912A-E0D138F6B378

Sponsored

bleda2002

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR Firecracker Red
What everyone else said about labor. I'll add though that tires and rims eat up a lot of that 10K, also depending on what shocks you want that could get really expensive quickly, and if you plan on regearing thats 2K right there as well.

I'd decided now what rims, tires, shocks, and if you are regearing. After that figure out how much you have left for actual lift/suspension

WILDHOBO

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Network Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
I don’t completely agree. Wheels can wait for another phase, or be skipped by using spidertrax spacers. Shocks can stay very under control at fox 2.0’s or similar. Lift including shocks under 2k. Tires under 1500 depending on choice. That leaves 6500 for control arms, regear, and steering. Totally doable if doing your own labor, except for gears. Those I’d pay someone to do. But that’s me. You’ll actually likely be under if you play it right and look for sales.

Last edited:

Lost_In_The_Woods

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT Rubicon Diesel
Occupation
Forester
Vehicle Showcase
Ok fellas, Just wanting to see what ya'll come up with this scenario. The Queen says that after the 1st of the Year I can take 10k for lift and tires. I have a stock 2022 JTR. The aftermarket rims have already been purchased. What suspension system would you go with, shocks, stabilizer and tires. Can you have a pretty decent dream build for 10k? With money left over to do a regear? thinking 37"s possibly 40's down the road.

You and I are in the same boat. I got the green light from the wife about a month ago with the same budget. Prices include shipping and sales tax for Washington and I'll be installing the lift myself so no labor cost except for mounting the tires.

Suspension, I went with a full Clayton 2.5" lift with upgraded heavy-duty rear springs: $3,100
Shocks
, I went with Falcon 2.1: $800 (on sale)
Wheels, I went with Method Bead Grip: $1,500 (on sale)
Tires, getting those either tomorrow or Saturday but already know it's going to be $2,600 for five 37" Nitto Ridge Grapplers mounted.

Grand total of $8,000

The wife's only stipulation was that she had to be able to easily steer the Jeep in a parking lot (bad experience with a lifted F250). Due to this I also added an Apex steering boost kit.

There are a hundred different setups you could go with and a lot are way cheaper than my route. For me, I wanted a fully adjustable lift and 37" tires.

Jeepasaurus_Rex

First Name
Mike🖤
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'04 KJ -- '21 JTRD
Build Thread
Link
With 10k you have a LOT of options! I was able to grab five 40" tires, five wheels, and a full TeraFlex RT3 kit for around 10k!

OP
OP
Sempe-Fi Rubicon

Sempe-Fi Rubicon

First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JTR - 2018 BMW 430i
Occupation
Retired
What everyone else said about labor. I'll add though that tires and rims eat up a lot of that 10K, also depending on what shocks you want that could get really expensive quickly, and if you plan on regearing thats 2K right there as well.

I'd decided now what rims, tires, shocks, and if you are regearing. After that figure out how much you have left for actual lift/suspension
You constantly give great advise, thankyou. I will start tire shopping since I already purchased my Method wheels(not out of the 10K budget)l, looking to pay for tires with personal slush fund money to keep as much of the 10k budget for actual suspension parts. I will be doing all the suspension work along with a couple of buddies. Regear will definitely be done by local shop.

Sponsored

J.Noack

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Business Owner
You know in some circles (wife), that's considered evidence lol.

Not going to lie, I did the same thing and then presented all the great ideas for the gladiator to my wife before pulling the trigger (Clarification: on the build, not my wife).
I was sure to include pretty font & colorful borders on the spreadsheet.
Was attempting to use color and presentation psychology manipulation to hopefully subconsciously convince her that upgrading the Gladiator was the best thing for our family. And for my safety, I did it over zoom :CWL:

WILDHOBO

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Network Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
You know in some circles (wife), that's considered evidence lol.

Not going to lie, I did the same thing and then presented all the great ideas for the gladiator to my wife before pulling the trigger (Clarification: on the build, not my wife).
I was sure to include pretty font & colorful borders on the spreadsheet.
Was attempting to use color and presentation psychology manipulation to hopefully subconsciously convince her that upgrading the Gladiator was the best thing for our family. And for my safety, I did it over zoom :CWL:
Jesus. That’s funny. Nope. I added items to the spreadsheet as they were purchased. No frills. It’s for the insurance company. They cover mine up to 75k with aftermarket parts as long as I have receipts if there is ever a claim. Including off road use, which is cool.

Escape.idiocracy

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jt
Occupation
Hitchhiker
The 40’s need to be removed from the equation with a 10k budget….

core4x4 control arms track bars etc
Rock krawler/metal cloak springs
Stick with 37’s of your choice
Wheels are whatever

stick the rest, or save some more for good shocks. Shocks truely make the ride/experience.
I would recommend a rebuildable shock…. Buy once cry once. But at the end of the day- you know the reality of the build, how you will use it, how long you will own it etc.

I’m not the guys going through the desert at 10mph to not kick up dust… I’m more wash board 50+ to smooth it out. So my emphasis on shocks is much greater than most, and this means $4k for shocks? :( 🤣😂

Escape.idiocracy

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jt
Occupation
Hitchhiker
I don’t completely agree. Wheels can wait for another phase, or be skipped by using spidertrax spacers. Shocks can stay very under control at fox 2.0’s or similar. Lift including shocks under 2k. Tires under 1500 depending on choice. That leaves 6500 for control arms, regear, and steering. Totally doable if doing your own labor, except for gears. Those I’d pay someone to do. But that’s me. You’ll actually likely be under if you play it right and look for sales.
As politely as possible…. Disagree.
Tires are not what I would call cheap (cheap in the grand scheme…. But still)

unless you are recommending a 10.5” wide tire- a 12.5+ is going to “balloon” on the narrow factory wheel. Which has a positive- poor man’s beadlocks! But, you are dramatically going to increase the wear on the center portion of the tire.
- this is coming from a guy who thought he was being Frugal…. And it ended up costing me a lot of life on a full set of tires….

Jeepeto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22' Jeep Gladiator Texas Trail
Find a shop that could do all if not most of the items in your list. Build a package with the items you wants and negotiate. Aside from doing it yourself- this will be the next best thing.
Sponsored