Sponsored

110v power outlet…

Lonaldny

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Hi,
Unfortunately my truck did not come with a power outlet which i need for my computer and drill batteries.
what is the easiest way to an outlet inder the passenger or drivers seat?
Has anyone done an inverter and have any tips?
Thanks!
Sponsored

IamPro2A

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'95 YJ, '07 Ram, '16 JK, '21 Sport S Max Tow
Hi,
Unfortunately my truck did not come with a power outlet which i need for my computer and drill batteries.
what is the easiest way to an outlet inder the passenger or drivers seat?
Has anyone done an inverter and have any tips?
Thanks!
The easiest way is to just get one that plugs into the 12v outlet in the dash. You can go up to about 300 watts that way, which should be more than enough to run your laptop or charge tool batteries.

Last edited:

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
The factory inverter is only 400 watts, so anything you install is likely going to better serve your needs. The difficult part will be getting the wiring to the location where you want to install the Inverter.

Kevin_D

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S, 1971 J4000, a bunch of other stuff
The easiest way is to just get one that plugs into the 12v outlet in the dash. You can go up to about 300 watts that way, which should be more than enough to run your laptop or charge tool batteries.
If you can find accessories that run on 12VDC, that’s even better, as inverters are inefficient.
Then you can connect your 12V Accessory outlet to be hot all the time, (jumpers are commercially available,) and you’re all set.

Kevin

IamPro2A

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If you can find accessories that run on 12VDC, that’s even better, as inverters are inefficient.
Then you can connect your 12V Accessory outlet to be hot all the time, (jumpers are commercially available,) and you’re all set.

Kevin
This is true. Though with the 2 specific uses the OP mentioned, that may not be feasible or practical.
Not many computers offer a 12vdc input power supply. While most of the big name cordless drill/tool companies DO offer a native mobile charger, they generally are not cheap ($100-$125).

Sponsored

Kevin_D

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S, 1971 J4000, a bunch of other stuff
This is true. Though with the 2 specific uses the OP mentioned, that may not be feasible or practical.
Not many computers offer a 12vdc input power supply.
Also true. 20 years ago I had a 12V-to-EmPower (a standard used by airlines) adapter, and an EmPower adapter for my laptop. Now most airlines use USB and/or 110V outlets (interestingly enough still supplied by EmPower.)
While most of the big name cordless drill/tool companies DO offer a native mobile charger, they generally are not cheap ($100-$125).
A decent inverter will cost that much.

Kevin

IamPro2A

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A decent inverter will cost that much.
Nah. Not for the OP's uses. If he was overlanding, or a contractor, then a $150 mounted and hardwired inverter makes sense. But for running a laptop or charging a drill?

Bestek inverters get very good reviews. 300 watts will do everything the OP asked for, and is close to the max for the factory 12 accessory plug anyway. You can get one of those for $34. https://www.amazon.com/BESTEK-300W-Power-Inverter-Adapter/dp/B004MDXS0U

OP
OP

Lonaldny

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Nah. Not for the OP's uses. If he was overlanding, or a contractor, then a $150 mounted and hardwired inverter makes sense. But for running a laptop or charging a drill?

Bestek inverters get very good reviews. 300 watts will do everything the OP asked for, and is close to the max for the factory 12 accessory plug anyway. You can get one of those for $34. https://www.amazon.com/BESTEK-300W-Power-Inverter-Adapter/dp/B004MDXS0U
I just ordered this. Thx!
only being used for the laptop and drill batteries, just annoying that its not built into the truck..
Thx!