12,000lbs winch

chrisblaze

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW 328d
What type of vehicles would a 12,000lbs winch pull. I see a lot fo people with 12,000lbs winch and I’m wondering what are they pulling with it.
Sponsored

Deadeye

First Name
JC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Launch Edition
Its not just the weight of the vehicle. If you are in mud, it would be the suction of the mud too. If you tried a river crossing, and are fighting current, add that in.

The general rule of thumb is 2x the GVWR of the vehicle, so a gladiator around ~5800lbs.

Phred

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gator Green Gladiator Rubicon
...and I’m wondering what are they pulling with it.
Just about anything I want...lol.

In all seriousness like others above, my brother got his Jeep stuck in a mud pit. My 12k pulled him out but anything lower would have been challenging or needed a snatch block.

MoparToYou

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
I had a Dodge Power Wagon, that I got stuck frame deep in mud, on one side of the frame, in a deep mud rut. The other side of the truck was on dry hard ground. The 12,000 lb winch really really struggled to pull the truck out. It almost wouldn't do it, even with the winch cable on the first wind around the drum.

That got me to do some research on how much winch capacity was needed to pull out a vehicle.

Generally, to pull a vehicle the size of a Gladiator on flat level hard ground you need <1000 lbs pulling capacity.

To pull the same vehicle on a flat level soft surface, such as grass, or sand, you need <3000 lbs pulling capacity.

To pull the vehicle out of mud, when it is sidewall deep it will take a pulling capacity that is 100% the weight of the vehicle, or 6000 lbs for a Gladiator.

To pull the vehicle out of mud that is hub deep, it will take a pulling capacity that is 200% of the vehicle weight, or 12,000 lbs for a Gladiator

To pull the vehicle out of mud that is frame deep it will take a pulling capacity that is 300% of the vehicle weight, or 18,000 lbs for a Gladiator.

This calculation held for my Dodge Power Wagon, that weighed 8000 lbs. Half the truck was frame deep, and the other half was on hard level ground. So 4000 lbs x 3, is 12000 lbs, plus 500 lbs to pull the half of the truck that was on level ground. That is why my 12000 lb winch struggled so hard to pull out my truck. The calculation said it would take a pulling force of 12,500 lbs.

Sponsored

OP
OP

chrisblaze

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW 328d
Is anyone running the Warn 12-S?

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Sport S Max Tow; Honda Element
I had to pull out a 4Runner that was stuck in mud, downhill, diff burried halfway. I had to pull it at an angle, towards a tree with a snatchblock, and me at about 30 degrees from perpendicular to the tree. Winch was fine, my Jeep was moving towards the tree faster than that 4Runner was, so I had to put it in reverse and apply a little gas to keep from going forward. But the winch did fine.
Smittybilt 9500lb winch

Empty Pockets

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport S, Sting Ray, 6 Speed (YES!)
One must also remember that the 12,000 pull is for the first wrap on the spool. When the wraps add up the pull is dramatically reduced. You will rarely need to pull out 80 or 100 feet of cable. Sometimes 20 is all you need. But you may well need the pull strength.

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
One must also remember that the 12,000 pull is for the first wrap on the spool. When the wraps add up the pull is dramatically reduced. You will rarely need to pull out 80 or 100 feet of cable. Sometimes 20 is all you need. But you may well need the pull strength.
You can help by using a snatch block - double the pulling plus you have the advantage of pulling out more cable or rope, getting closer to the hub or middle of the spool.
My boss used snatch blocks a LOT. He could pull a freight train off the tracks sideways, I swear, with the way he rigged the cable and locked the truck down with chocks.
He often had to pull vehicles out of fields and up ditches in bad weather. Like he said - you can double the pulling power with a single snatch block, even more with two, or even reverse the direction of pull.

I bought a 12,000 because it was on sale, cheap, and my wife is always wanting things moved, dead trees taken out (at several hundred dollars a pop if you pay someone), and I have to move and load cars I've stripped parts off of onto my trailer to haul for scrap.
But a rolling car - I have pulled onto my trailer with a BOAT WINCH or a $40 come-along.
I pulled one onto my trailer that had the front differential hanging free (the guy pulled the engine out and the front differential hung by the front enging mounts) that means both front wheels were LOCKED - using come-alongs.
Mud that will suck the boots right off your feet when you take a step is going to really load things down bad. Weight and suction.
I used to think maybe I could just use a 9000 pound winch until I did some digging - naw, I'd likely regret it.

GoVR46

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gator Rubicon, 2014 Highlander, 2007 BMW 335i (725 whp)
Are you using the mopar steel bumper? If so, did you have an issues?
When you ask if I’m using the Mopar steel bumper, I have the Rubicon steel bumper if that’s the same. And no problem at all. Just need to get the winch mount to complete the install.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
When you ask if I’m using the Mopar steel bumper, I have the Rubicon steel bumper if that’s the same. And no problem at all. Just need to get the winch mount to complete the install.
Apparently that's what I would need to put a winch on my Overland - a Rubicon stock steel bumper?