First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR, F-350 diesel, Porsche Spyder, Model Y
Occupation
Semi retired consultant
Does anyone know how many 12 volt outlets there will be in the cabin and where they’re located?

Also, will these stay on when the engine is off?

I’m trying to decide where to put a Dometic fridge on my Overland build Rubicon.

Thanks!

Also...other than the optional 120V outlet in the bed is there one in the cab?
Sponsored

jeepguy225

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gator JTR, '04 Rubicon (past: 04 TJR, 79 and 84' CJ-7)
Occupation
Buyer of Jeep parts
Vehicle Showcase
12volt on the center dash above the axle lock button (unless you get the trailer brake controller, then I'm not sure where they would include a 12volt outlet) and a 120v on the center armrest console.

Untitled.jpg

drogers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-250
Does anyone know how many 12 volt outlets there will be in the cabin and where they’re located?

Also, will these stay on when the engine is off?

I’m trying to decide where to put a Dometic fridge on my Overland build Rubicon.

Thanks!

Also...other than the optional 120V outlet in the bed is there one in the cab?
Not that you asked, but I’d seriously look at an ARB over the dometic - they are rated to operate at 30* off level, whereas almost every other portable fridge isn’t, and you risk damaging the compressor if it runs while you’re not level.

My ARB has been absolutely bulletproof, and draws very little juice. I ran a dedicated 12v line for it in my JK and it could keep my mexican coke bottles cold for 3-4 days and the Jeep would still start up.

Onebigyoshi

First Name
Haruyoshi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon Sting grey M/T. Prius...
Holy moly those thing cost 1k

Sponsored

Matstock4

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon, 2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU, 2017 Toyota Sienna, 1989 Turbo Trans Am
Not that you asked, but I’d seriously look at an ARB over the dometic - they are rated to operate at 30* off level, whereas almost every other portable fridge isn’t, and you risk damaging the compressor if it runs while you’re not level.

My ARB has been absolutely bulletproof, and draws very little juice. I ran a dedicated 12v line for it in my JK and it could keep my mexican coke bottles cold for 3-4 days and the Jeep would still start up.
Mexican Coca Cola is the best! Real Sugar and real good! :like:

OP
OP
smlobx

smlobx

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Semi retired consultant

Thanks for the unsolicited reply ;-) but seriously I have not decided on a particular brand so I will look into ARB as well. I’m also looking at Engel but those are even more peso’s...minimizing electrical draw is one of my top priorities.

Question for you...would a compressor fridge be able to run in the back in the bed or will the environment eventually destroy the motor..?

drogers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-250
Thanks for the unsolicited reply ;-) but seriously I have not decided on a particular brand so I will look into ARB as well. I’m also looking at Engel but those are even more peso’s...minimizing electrical draw is one of my top priorities.

Question for you...would a compressor fridge be able to run in the back in the bed or will the environment eventually destroy the motor..?
I'd say if your bed was covered in any way you should be good to go - you'll want to minimize dust and water, but you don't have to 100% eliminate it. I'd throw mine in the bed uncovered for a day or two, but wouldn't run around like that forever... I did leave mine in my JKU 24x7, but even when I was roofless (6-8mo/yr) I had a plywood cover over the cargo area.

OP
OP
smlobx

smlobx

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Semi retired consultant
I'd say if your bed was covered in any way you should be good to go - you'll want to minimize dust and water, but you don't have to 100% eliminate it. I'd throw mine in the bed uncovered for a day or two, but wouldn't run around like that forever... I did leave mine in my JKU 24x7, but even when I was roofless (6-8mo/yr) I had a plywood cover over the cargo area.
Thanks that’s what I was thinking. Unless I get a cap of some sort it might be better to place the fridge in the back of the cab.

Sponsored

TennesseePA

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Launch Edition, 2008 ES350
Occupation
Physician Assistant
I actually emailed Dometic about this and they said it is fine to carry in the back of a truck when you are using it but it shouldn’t live outdoors 100% of the time.

Lou3.6

First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep 2016 WK2 75th Anniversary edition
Occupation
retired Navy -- 1984 > 2004
Thanks that’s what I was thinking. Unless I get a cap of some sort it might be better to place the fridge in the back of the cab.
DON'T NEGLECT looking at SnoMaster -- AC /DC, all models, so you can utilize the 110v bed outlet if yu choose or the 110 outlet behind front seat . This is the brand I will be getting THIS year for initial use in the G.C. ! Mine will be the DUAL version of either the Classic or Expedition model, and around the 60L size. BIG, in that a smaller version can be had by the likes of say, ARB, but those do not offer a DUAL system. I don't want to be opening my freezer door every time I go into my fridge ! ? I door is SO old school and NOT efficient . . . especially if you got little ones constantly in & out of it to get those frozen treats ! ? ha !

drogers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-250
DON'T NEGLECT looking at SnoMaster -- AC /DC, all models, so you can utilize the 110v bed outlet if yu choose or the 110 outlet behind front seat . This is the brand I will be getting THIS year for initial use in the G.C. ! Mine will be the DUAL version of either the Classic or Expedition model, and around the 60L size. BIG, in that a smaller version can be had by the likes of say, ARB, but those do not offer a DUAL system. I don't want to be opening my freezer door every time I go into my fridge ! ? I door is SO old school and NOT efficient . . . especially if you got little ones constantly in & out of it to get those frozen treats ! ? ha !
Before you go using that 110v outlet, check to see what the native power is for the fridge, most are DC. It would really be a huge waste to convert from 12v DC to 110v AC just to have the fridge convert it back to 12v DC internally again. You’d probably use 2x the power doing that.

As for the snomasters, those dual compartment models look nice - way too tall for what I bought my ARB for though, I needed something that was the same height as my JK cargo box, which this was. Fortunately that means it will fit under a tonneau in the ‘8r bed as well. I couldn’t use a snomaster in an ‘8r unless I had a full height topper, which I personally don’t like.