12v socket/lighter

Rokon

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Rubicon
The 12vdc socket in the center panel is only on with the ignition. What is involved with accessing this socket or its harness?? I would like to power this with one of the aux. switches so it can be on regardless of the ignition state.
Even better would be another socket alongside the 110vac outlet on the rear of the center console. Any tutorials on getting the console opened up?

Thanks.
Sponsored

NORDNDED

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR, 2016 JKUR, 2015 JKURHR, 2015 F150, 1973 Ford Bronco
The 12vdc socket in the center panel is only on with the ignition. What is involved with accessing this socket or its harness?? I would like to power this with one of the aux. switches so it can be on regardless of the ignition state.
Even better would be another socket alongside the 110vac outlet on the rear of the center console. Any tutorials on getting the console opened up?

Thanks.
Its not too hard to access at all, the panels that need to be removed are held on with tension clips and 1 screw if I remember correctly. Once the center panel is removed I would replace the whole 12v socket with a new one instead of modifying the factory wiring. Removing the socket from the panel is done front inside of the socket itself with a mini screwdriver to release the tabs holding it in place.
SzW3UkkQTa+xa6wf7adGUQ.jpg
xU3S5TWkTqOeqPshFfthIw.jpg
pEivdFKaQmyR5CTNHL9c6g.jpg
28n+WHf%QFGrqwX00C9TUg.jpg

OP
OP

Rokon

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Rubicon
Thanks Nordnded. Your pics help. The first upper panel held with tension clips, you just pull that free? I take it that there is a wire plug that mates to the blue part of the socket? Or does it mate to a fixed plug on the inner panel? The aux. switch wiring is right near by, should be pretty easy to get a lead run to the socket for a new power source.
Have you gotten into the shifter console at all? I really want to add a 12v socket for the rear seat area

NORDNDED

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR, 2016 JKUR, 2015 JKURHR, 2015 F150, 1973 Ford Bronco
Thanks Nordnded. Your pics help. The first upper panel held with tension clips, you just pull that free? I take it that there is a wire plug that mates to the blue part of the socket? Or does it mate to a fixed plug on the inner panel? The aux. switch wiring is right near by, should be pretty easy to get a lead run to the socket for a new power source.
Have you gotten into the shifter console at all? I really want to add a 12v socket for the rear seat area
Yup, use a panel tool or other small flat blade to pry the top panel off starting at the passenger grab handle. Once the corner is free you can just pull by hand working towards the left to remove it completely. The next panel will pop off easily once the single 8mm screw is removed. The wiring unplugs, I had already done so when I took the pic.

Removing the socket from the dash panel is the hardest part, you have to use a micro flathead on the inside of the socket to release the plastic tabs holding it to the panel. Its not too hard once you realize where they are and how the whole thing is assembled.

I have not tried to get into the shifter console yet.

r5ylcdKQQOa8sccdwgcREQ.jpg
iqmok04+T3y1lPJaDP+OPA.jpg
6wtoGde7SG+0axz0wIjVTA.jpg

Sponsored

OP
OP

Rokon

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Rubicon
Thanks for the great info.

KVJ

First Name
Kenneth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sport S W/Max Tow
Thanks, That does help a lot. I saw a video on you tube of a guy taking out the control panel on a JL just as you described. I ordered a Redarc that should arrive tomorrow and plan on installing it as you did in another thread.

KVJ

First Name
Kenneth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sport S W/Max Tow
I just finished up installing the Tow-Pro. It is too late for me to hook up the trailer and test it out so I will try in the morning. NORENDED is right to say the hardest part was to remove the lighter socket from the dash panel. I fought it for well over 45 minutes and made three trips to the computer to look at the pictures on this thread. I had my dash camera plugged into the lighter socket so I fished it over by the glove compartment and plug it together behind the dash over there. Fishing the control cable to the gas pedal was tight, I didn't want to spring the plastic retainer clip that plugs into the knob. The rest was easy except that I could only fit one thing at a time under the diver side dash, either the right arm, or the left arm, or my head. I 3M taped the control box on the black plastic frame that is against to fire wall and then ran two self taping hex head screws to secure it.

RRGA

First Name
michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport S
homelink / garage door opener only works with ignition on too, which I found surprising...

wyodirt

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland
Occupation
Secret stuff in secret locations
homelink / garage door opener only works with ignition on too, which I found surprising...
i suppose that keeps someone from cutting into a soft top and accessing your home/garage if you're parked in the driveway

Sponsored

DirtyD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S
i suppose that keeps someone from cutting into a soft top and accessing your home/garage if you're parked in the driveway
I was glad to see this when I programed mine, used to bother me with my Ram that it would open the door regardless of the truck running or not.

Limitless

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dragonfly JTR 6spd
I would replace the whole 12v socket with a new one instead of modifying the factory wiring. Removing the socket from the panel is done front inside of the socket itself with a mini screwdriver to release the tabs holding it in place.
link to said new socket

bossgator

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Granite Crystal Metallic
Occupation
Retired USMC
Its not too hard to access at all, the panels that need to be removed are held on with tension clips and 1 screw if I remember correctly. Once the center panel is removed I would replace the whole 12v socket with a new one instead of modifying the factory wiring. Removing the socket from the panel is done front inside of the socket itself with a mini screwdriver to release the tabs holding it in place.
SzW3UkkQTa+xa6wf7adGUQ.jpg
xU3S5TWkTqOeqPshFfthIw.jpg
pEivdFKaQmyR5CTNHL9c6g.jpg
28n+WHf%QFGrqwX00C9TUg.jpg
Okay, I'm stumped, what the secret to getting the socket to release?