1500mi - Being serviced for drivetrain issue

DAKINE

First Name
DAKINE
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GLADIATOR RUBICON
Picked up my Gladiator Rubicon from Mac Haik Georgetown. Drove it home to CA with no issues- planned for a lift and bigger tires. 1500mi later, 1wk, I'm driving to work and I hear a loud thump up front. I pulled over, and saw no damage or leaks. I kept driving to work, truck kept bucking so I slowed it down. The popping noise and bucking was so bad I had to contact a tow to take my truck to a local dealer. It's been at the dealer for 3 days now, dealer tells me it is a loose wire in the drivetrain. Part needs to be ordered and won't be in until Monday. Hopefully installed and trouble shooted by Tuesday. 60k truck and in service after 1st week of purchasing is completely UNSAT for Jeep. I was planning my 1st off road adventure with the family in the Gladiator during Labor Day but that didn't happen.
I'm not sure if I want to keep this truck, the popping and bucking was really extreme. To me it sounded like parts broke - Jeep is only replacing a wire - WTF!?
Sponsored

XJ2JTChris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport S on 35's, Mopar 2" lift, `96 XJ, 97 ZJ, `99 Camaro LS1
Jeeze....I'm dealing with a highway vibe, it's definitely drivetrain related. I wonder if they are just telling you it's a "wire" because it seems like these dealerships and big car companies always try to start with fixing the cheapest thing they can even if deep down they know damn well that isn't the issue. F*ckin hacks. I hate this sh*t. Sorry you're having issues too. Depending on what i find out, I'm qlready considering giving FCA the big "f*ck you" after being a 12 jeep owner for 15 years between all my XJs, WJs, ZJs and TJ rubi. Good luck.

Edit: you mentioned it's a Rubicon....possible that the wire is part of the lockers and it's shorting out and somehow engaging locker?

Last edited:
OP
OP
DAKINE

DAKINE

First Name
DAKINE
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GLADIATOR RUBICON
I'm sure that's what it probably was doing. At 65+mph and feeling it buck with a locking sensation - I'm just saying, more than a wire had to have been damaged. Damage I don't want creeping up on me after my warranty expires or if I put a lift kit - Jeep claiming the issue came from the lift kit.
I did have a temporary "service axle locker system" indicator come on when I parked. But it went away and never showed up again.
I just don't trust this particular Gladiator anymore!

Sorbs

First Name
Brian & Sunny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ram TRX, 2020 Gladiator LE
Vehicle Showcase
I'm sure that's what it probably was doing. At 65+mph and feeling it buck with a locking sensation - I'm just saying, more than a wire had to have been damaged. Damage I don't want creeping up on me after my warranty expires or if I put a lift kit - Jeep claiming the issue came from the lift kit.
I did have a temporary "service axle locker system" indicator come on when I parked. But it went away and never showed up again.
I just don't trust this particular Gladiator anymore!
It sounds like a “yaw” sensor wire may have been damaged. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yaw-rate_sensor

If you’ve ever lifted a vehicle before, and the steering wheel wasn’t straight, this would also happen. Don’t blame the truck, this can happen to any new vehicle that’s out of alignment. If you hit a curb or a rock on a trail know that your yaw sensor can play havoc.

Hootbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
Anything built by man has the potential to fail. Some fail early, some fail later down the road eventually. Nobody wants to be "that guy" but eventually everybody takes their turn in the barrel and yours came early. That is what a warranty is for. Let them fix it before getting it in your head to do a dump and run to the next brand that just as likely has someone else in that universe with the same issue and same time of ownership. Dumping it early only helps the next buyer who appreciates you taking the depreciation hit.

Sponsored

OP
OP
DAKINE

DAKINE

First Name
DAKINE
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GLADIATOR RUBICON
Thanks for the heads up. I'm just very hesitant to invest money into this truck - an injury early in the game isn't good. I scored for 7% off invoice, depreciation should not effect me.

OP
OP
DAKINE

DAKINE

First Name
DAKINE
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GLADIATOR RUBICON
Jeep San Diego, dealer doing service on my truck, calls me on status of my Gladiator. They said they replaced the loose wire/sensor. After trouble shooting truck is still bucking - they figured it is a broken axle. A whole new front axle is being ordered, part will be delivered in about 1wk. Amazing what highway driving does. Can't imagine what other damage was done that isn't seen. Hopefully Jeep Cares is on this.

pilotpat

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1979 CJ7 & 2020 Bright White Launch Edition Jeep Gladiator :)
Check out the drivetrain recall issue in this forum section. Id link it but not sure how to do that.

Reactions: Sal

Hootbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
Jeep San Diego, dealer doing service on my truck, calls me on status of my Gladiator. They said they replaced the loose wire/sensor. After trouble shooting truck is still bucking - they figured it is a broken axle. A whole new front axle is being ordered, part will be delivered in about 1wk. Amazing what highway driving does. Can't imagine what other damage was done that isn't seen. Hopefully Jeep Cares is on this.
They "figured" or "know" for certain it is drive axle? Sounds like a Clown College is working on your truck.

nlicalsi91

First Name
Nelson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU Sahara Tank Green
Someone in Canada has had their JT in the shop for a month due to their front axle disconnect failure. Could possibly be the electronic wiring in that which needs to be replaced...or the locking diff

Astephan1284

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Mojave, 2000 TJ Sport
@JeepCares

There. Jeep Cares should be tracking it now.
Sponsored