Sponsored

1st baby right around the corner. Is there anything I can do to make my Gladiator safer?

Mister Lamb

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Willy's
Occupation
Power Plant Operator
Hi yall,

I'm a new Jeeper and a soon to be father and am looking for any tips/advice to keep my 2021 Gladiator Willy's as safe as possible for my new baby. I'm forgoing any kind of lifts and keeping the car stock outside of a few aesthetic mods.

I did buy an upgrade kit to replace all the front suspension bolts/hardware (via Synergy) to make sure all my suspension components stay nice and tight (in order to prevent death wobble). I plan on torquing the suspension to spec every oil change (5k miles) and intend on keeping that whole front end nice and greased up.

With the lack of side curtain air bags, are there any mods to make that back seat safer for the baby? I'm fully aware defensive driving is the best prevention of accidents, but for the few scenarios that are out of my hands I'd like to know I did everything I could to make my truck as safe as possible for my baby.

Thanks and look forward to being a part of the community.
Sponsored

Largemarge_JT

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Gladiator Rubicon Ecodiesel
Hi yall,

I'm a new Jeeper and a soon to be father and am looking for any tips/advice to keep my 2021 Gladiator Willy's as safe as possible for my new baby. I'm forgoing any kind of lifts and keeping the car stock outside of a few aesthetic mods.

I did buy an upgrade kit to replace all the front suspension bolts/hardware (via Synergy) to make sure all my suspension components stay nice and tight (in order to prevent death wobble). I plan on torquing the suspension to spec every oil change (5k miles) and intend on keeping that whole front end nice and greased up.

With the lack of side curtain air bags, are there any mods to make that back seat safer for the baby? I'm fully aware defensive driving is the best prevention of accidents, but for the few scenarios that are out of my hands I'd like to know I did everything I could to make my truck as safe as possible for my baby.

Thanks and look forward to being a part of the community.
Just became a dad a couple of months ago. My best advice would be to find a car seat that fits in the middle rear (safest location) that will also still allow you to keep your front seats in a comfortable position. The car seat we purchased is pretty long when used with its base so it will not fit in the middle.

OP
OP
Mister Lamb

Mister Lamb

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Willy's
Occupation
Power Plant Operator
Just became a dad a couple of months ago. My best advice would be to find a car seat that fits in the middle rear (safest location) that will also still allow you to keep your front seats in a comfortable position. The car seat we purchased is pretty long when used with its base so it will not fit in the middle.
Thankfully the wife is 5'3 so if it comes down to being behind her seat not much will change šŸ˜œ. We just got some car seats from the shower so now might be a good time to test that out. Thanks

ajr2025

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Fire fighter
Weā€™ve got a 10 month old. We used the graco keyfit 30 seat the first 7 months. Once she got big enough we switched her to the Graco True3Fit LX 3-in-1. Both of those seats fit well, have to be behind the passenger seat as Iā€™m 6ā€™5ā€. As far as the truck itself? Iā€™m not sure there is much else you could add for safety, it is what it is. Maybe some heavy duty sidesteps or sliders?

DCPHOENIX

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator
Occupation
Dad
Rear facing car seats take up so much room which I never knew until I became a dad. Our daughter just graduated to forward facing and itā€™s great.

Trucks arenā€™t the safest vehicle no matter your age.

Make sure your car seat is the best and make sure itā€™s securely fastened down.

Aside from that, drive safe and enjoy being a dad!

Sponsored

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The primary determinant of the risk associated with getting hurt or killed in a car accident is how you drive and when you drive.

So if you aren't driving as carefully as you should be, then slow down.

If you bring your kids in the car at 11:30 at night, then stop doing that. (for a number of reasons. ha)

I just came out of a tank of a vehicle, a Volvo S80 sedan. Its ridiculously strong and very safe. Its got side imact airbags that run from the ceiling to the floor in both front and rear seats. Its active safety is also much better than the Jeep. It handles better, stops better, accelerates better.
Its just a better driving vehicle.

But I drove it waaaayyyyy too fast. (It weighs about 1400 lbs less than the Jeep and makes 30 more hp. Its no RS6, but its quick)

IMHO, the old timey feel of the Jeeps steering and ride (there is absolutely no pleasure to be gained by hustleing it along a road) has made me a so much slower and less aggressive driver that it more than compensates for the decrease in the actual vehicle's safety.

You and the vehicle are a SYSTEM that moves the family. A safe vehicle can't make up for an unsafe driver.

By the way, I didn't realize this until I got the Jeep. I thought I might drive it like I drove my car.

Last edited:

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Oh. And resist the urge to take the convenient route and put the baby seat in an outside rear seat.

Put it in the middle.

One nice thing about the Jeep is that because of its height, impacts from most vehicles will belower than the actual seat.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
I agree on the car seat stuff so far - and when my son and his family visited with their son we took my truck with their carseat installed and it was the easiest thing to install a car seat in these.
My only other advice - keep anything that's in the cab secured. The child probably won't be able to move - but anything heavy, sharp or whatever that is loose in that truck will become a projectile if you are hit or hit something and the forces that will make it fly are amazing.
I recall being hit broadside on the passenger side of my AMX years ago - blew out the windows and my glasses were gone. They found them something like 15-20 yards away in the ditch. That energy goes somewhere when vehicles stop - it doesn't just "disappear".
So don't keep heavy or sharp stuff in the truck unless it's stowed safely, preferably behind the rear seat or under the rear seat. Even under the front seats may not be safe. Get those pieces of recovery gear - snatch blocks, filet knives, whatever you carry, secured. Even your CELL PHONE is a weapon if your trucks stops very suddenly at 60 miles an hour. Don't leave it laying loose or even in a holder it can snap out of in a crash. I've worked in a shop that did towing for the state and city - you can't unsee some of the stuff I've seen.
Thankfully I have an idea that Jeep parents are pretty responsible parents.

Rockabillyroy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT
Looks like a lot of good info on seat stuff covered.

We kept our kids out of the jeep and had them ride in the minivan until the were 2.

As far as re-checking torque on suspension bolts, I just put on paint marker and check it visually. But you might not want paint on your bolts. Just a thought.

john#21

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTM Hydro Blue
Definitely try like the other have suggested and put the car seat in the middle.

Jeep specific- you could invest in really nice nerf bars, rock sliders etc to aid in support in the event of a side impact.

Honestly though from a safety stand point, I don't feel the gladiator is necessarily more risk than any other automobile of its size, car or truck.

It will rider higher than cars. Your visibility will be better sitting a little higher. Im not sure that airbags would be good for an infant either, probably a moot point.

For reference we had an 04 Wj (Grand Cherokee) when our son was born and would occasionally strap him into a charger. Both about as wide as a wrangler/ gladiator.

Sponsored

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I agree on the car seat stuff so far - and when my son and his family visited with their son we took my truck with their carseat installed and it was the easiest thing to install a car seat in these.
My only other advice - keep anything that's in the cab secured. The child probably won't be able to move - but anything heavy, sharp or whatever that is loose in that truck will become a projectile if you are hit or hit something and the forces that will make it fly are amazing.
I recall being hit broadside on the passenger side of my AMX years ago - blew out the windows and my glasses were gone. They found them something like 15-20 yards away in the ditch. That energy goes somewhere when vehicles stop - it doesn't just "disappear".
So don't keep heavy or sharp stuff in the truck unless it's stowed safely, preferably behind the rear seat or under the rear seat. Even under the front seats may not be safe. Get those pieces of recovery gear - snatch blocks, filet knives, whatever you carry, secured. Even your CELL PHONE is a weapon if your trucks stops very suddenly at 60 miles an hour. Don't leave it laying loose or even in a holder it can snap out of in a crash. I've worked in a shop that did towing for the state and city - you can't unsee some of the stuff I've seen.
Thankfully I have an idea that Jeep parents are pretty responsible parents.
This is precisely why I cringe when I see photos of people with fire extinguishers mounted somewhere inside their vehicle. The chance of them being injured or killed by a flying fire extinguisher in an accident is much more than any safety they might gain by having it with them in the event of a fire. (just get out of the truck) 30 Gs of acceleration is not uncommon in a car accident. That means that 5 lb extinguisher subjects its mount to 150 lbs of force. How many mounts will hold under that kind of stress?

When I had my homebuilt plane reinspected by a Designated Airworthiness Representative (DAR), he told me he does not allow extinguishers to be installed anywhere inside an airplane for this reason. Though he encouraged installed fire suppression systems.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
This is precisely why I cringe when I see photos of people with fire extinguishers mounted somewhere inside their vehicle. The chance of them being injured or killed by a flying fire extinguisher in an accident is much more than any safety they might gain by having it with them in the event of a fire. (just get out of the truck) 30 Gs of acceleration is not uncommon in a car accident. That means that 5 lb extinguisher subjects its mount to 150 lbs of force. How many mounts will hold under that kind of stress?

When I had my homebuilt plane reinspected by a Designated Airworthiness Representative (DAR), he told me he does not allow extinguishers to be installed anywhere inside an airplane for this reason. Though he encouraged installed fire suppression systems.
Yes, a larger example of my thoughts on something flying out of a mount - straps will snap and heavy object will go flying. Something weighing a couple of pounds suddenly is over 1,000 pounds of force. Flashlights, extinguishers, phones, etc. -

These are safe vehicles as has been demonstrated by the very unfortunate accidents forum members have experienced.

Rahkmalla

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Gobi Manual Mojave
Build Thread
Link
car seat placement is really tough in the gladiator if you want to use your backseat to transport anything other than one baby and nothing else. The rear bench isn't exactly spacious and a carseat in the middle means the outboard seats are uncomfortable.

And since my wife refuses to ride in the front when I have my front doors off (i don't take my back doors off because that's where the baby is) that means she rides in the back with my son when my front doors are off.

I can only imagine the hellfire that would befall me if I tried to shove her into an outboard seat with my son in the middle. I'd never be able to take my doors off and transport the family ever again.

Long story short: you can't prevent every accident, but choosing how and where and when you drive is 95% of avoiding accidents. If you can't put the carseat in the middle, don't beat yourself up about it. Make up for it in other ways.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
The rear bench isn't exactly spacious and a carseat in the middle means the outboard seats are uncomfortable.
Really? I drove, my wife was in the front passenger seat, my grandson, son and his wife, all in the back seat. Both of them, my son and D-I-L, commented on how much better the back seat in the Gladiator was than in my Silverado - and my son ain't short at well over 6'. (and over 200 pounds although he's lightened up quite a bit lately)

Rahkmalla

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Gobi Manual Mojave
Build Thread
Link
Really? I drove, my wife was in the front passenger seat, my grandson, son and his wife, all in the back seat. Both of them, my son and D-I-L, commented on how much better the back seat in the Gladiator was than in my Silverado - and my son ain't short at well over 6'. (and over 200 pounds although he's lightened up quite a bit lately)
maybe my car seat is unnecessarily wide? Who knows.

afterthought: maybe they were so blown away by the extra headroom they glanced right over the missing hip room?
Sponsored