Sponsored

1st oil change, dealer offers 3 different oils!!

jerjon

First Name
JimmyJones
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mojave, LJ, TJ, SuperTrooper
Occupation
Magician
1sr oil change, the Chrysler dealer advertises 3 different oils on there website.
Syn blend, Full syn. & Premium Synthetic..

Do I thrust this dealer to use Mopar oil when changing my oil and what's mopars default? Ugg
Sponsored

willhonkforparts

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTRD & 2008 JKUR
Occupation
Self-loathing
What engine?

HooliganActual

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Retired
I spent years working in industry and learned a lot about motor oils. The convening wisdom is that you really should run non-synthetic for the first few thousand miles before going to synthetic.

The very thing that makes synthetic so awesome (lubricity & slipperiness) prevents some of the intial wear in that is really necessary in newly machined surfaces; the removing of asperities.

HOWEVER, the other conventional wisdom out there is that if it started out with synthetic in it, then you should just keep running synthetic.

Call the dealer and ask them what oil came in your vehicle. Personally I trust the dealership to make the right call on putting the right oil in or else its going to cost them an engine replacement. While there are a lot of lazy/crappy service departments out there, I don't believe any of them wake up in the morning and make a plan to blow up someone's engine...

Labswine

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland, 2019 GC Ltd
Occupation
Retired
I believe (may be wrong but, still) they all come from the factory with full synthetic.

This is what I was told at my first oil change. I use full synthetic anyways and have been for over 30 years in all my vehicles.

My initial thought at reading the title was the three choices were dino oil, synthetic blend, and full synthetic.

IMHO, I'd just go for the full synthetic.

Some sort of 'premium' synthetic? What? It was blessed by an Imam, a Priest, and a Rabbi??? :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

berb

First Name
AJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gadiator Sport / Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimited
Occupation
Teacher
This is from the 2022 Jeep Gladiator Manual.

Jeep Gladiator 1st oil change, dealer offers 3 different oils!! 1677853804639

Sponsored

Curt Oz

First Name
Curt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
Retired
This is what my dealer uses on mine.

Mopar 68522999AA
Max Pro 0W-20 Synthetic Motor Oil
Jeep Gladiator 1st oil change, dealer offers 3 different oils!! Screenshot_20230303_093508_Samsung Notes

HorneyBadger

First Name
Samuel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Sport, 2022 JT Rubicon
Occupation
Performance Analyst
Premium Syn???? Are they offering Amsoil or Royal Purple instead of Mobil-1? Or are they offering Mobil-1 instead of some cheap ass Syn. They should be using Mobil-1 as standard. Crazy...

Hootbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
Your dealer may invoice out by the MOPAR part number the 0W-20 oil, but they are putting in whatever bulk tank 0W-20 the shop carries.

Fundamental Jeepster

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport
Occupation
retired
I believe (may be wrong but, still) they all come from the factory with full synthetic.

This is what I was told at my first oil change. I use full synthetic anyways and have been for over 30 years in all my vehicles.

My initial thought at reading the title was the three choices were dino oil, synthetic blend, and full synthetic.

IMHO, I'd just go for the full synthetic.

Some sort of 'premium' synthetic? What? It was blessed by an Imam, a Priest, and a Rabbi??? :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:
Mine told me the same. I had 4 free changes. Changed the first at 3K miles and never looked back.

Sponsored

KevinC

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JT Mojave Sarge
Occupation
Gunsmith
If you have the 3.6L, it takes 0W-20. 0W-20 is only available in full synthetic. My dealership and the others around me buy Penzoil Platinum 0W-20 in bulk for their Jeep Wave oil changes.

KevinC

Labswine

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland, 2019 GC Ltd
Occupation
Retired
My local mechanic, whom both me and my Dad (RIP) have used for years uses Penziol Platimun synthetic.

When I was doing my own oil changes, it was always Mobile 1.

But, now I'm too old for that shyte so, I get it done. Plus, I don't have anywhere close to dispose of used motor oil. The nearest place is like 45 minutes away. Where I live, no one does their own maintenance ergo, no need tor it.

IanNubbit

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JL 2 Door Sport 6MT & 2022 JT 6MT Sport
Occupation
Mopar Dealer Tech
All 0w-20 is synthetic only. No questions asked. All JTs (gas) leave the plant with Mopar 0w20 oil, which is bar none simply Pennzoil Platinum bottled in Mopar containers. Dealers are mandated to use Pennzoil Platinum or Shell. Shell is the parent company and its nearly identical as Pennzoil with the exceptions of some additives, just easier to order in bulk from a oil truck to pump into containers at the dealer. Mopar has worked hand and hand with Pennzoil for years now, that is who they recommend and as long as you change your oil, it will make your engine last 100k easy. The only other brand I could reliably recommend is Valvoline. Other brands, like Mobil-1 do not consistently pass and get approvals from Chrysler for their MS standards
Sponsored