Sponsored

2 holes in a brand new Jeep... Perfect Phone mount setup!

Steak.Sauce

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
Never thought I would drill holes in my first new car (well, on the inside at least) but after seeing some inspiration, I went forward with the following mods.

I ordered a 67 Designs mount, mini bar and RAM ball attachment. I won’t bother you with a 67 Designs review. Its solid, and there are plenty of other reviews out there. This pairs with a Quadlock motorcycle ball and the Quadlock case. I use this case and mount with my motorcycle, and if its good enough for 100MPH… its good enough for the jeep. Putting the retaining screw in was the first hole I made in the Jeep, and while unnerving, the results are worth it. The mount is rock solid.

Jeep Gladiator 2 holes in a brand new Jeep... Perfect Phone mount setup! 49887597581_d9928f84a8_c

Jeep Gladiator 2 holes in a brand new Jeep... Perfect Phone mount setup! 49861137317_0eca26d01f_c

The next hole was done after seeing another member’s very clever placement of their phone charging cable. Simply punch a hole in the center console behind the gasket for the parking brake. From there you have a much easier to work with cable than having it dangling from the dash. Plus it allows me to keep it permanently plugged in and let other’s use the forward USB ports when they need.

Jeep Gladiator 2 holes in a brand new Jeep... Perfect Phone mount setup! 49913832868_cd13a00964_c

From there I tucked the wire behind the plastic molding. It hides extremely easy. Tuck it behind and then shoot it up the back side of the dash.

Jeep Gladiator 2 holes in a brand new Jeep... Perfect Phone mount setup! 49914644397_1d7da7e375_c

The next task was to pop out the climate control. I followed a tutorial on Youtube and everything went smoothly. It is quite tough the first time you pop it out, and it will feel like you are about to break it. Just go slowly and it will eventually break free.

Jeep Gladiator 2 holes in a brand new Jeep... Perfect Phone mount setup! 49887077173_c697e9ab92_c

From there snake the wire up and behind the bezel for the screen, which requires 2 screws to pop off.

Jeep Gladiator 2 holes in a brand new Jeep... Perfect Phone mount setup! 49887906062_96f7b76358_c

Jeep Gladiator 2 holes in a brand new Jeep... Perfect Phone mount setup! 49887906057_aedcf71b0d_c

At the top of the bezel is just enough space to pop the wire out, and viola, the cable is right next to the phone mount. I measured the wire so that I have a bit of flex and don’t put strain on the phone/wire, then buttoned everything back up.

Jeep Gladiator 2 holes in a brand new Jeep... Perfect Phone mount setup! 49887593306_68d2d31c0f_c

Since this is my daily driver, having a phone mount is an absolute must for directions, traffic, calls and music. This is one of the cleanest setups I’ve seen, and far better than how I had it originally!
Sponsored

TennesseePA

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Launch Edition, 2008 ES350
Occupation
Physician Assistant
Never thought I would drill holes in my first new car (well, on the inside at least) but after seeing some inspiration, I went forward with the following mods.

I ordered a 67 Designs mount, mini bar and RAM ball attachment. I won’t bother you with a 67 Designs review. Its solid, and there are plenty of other reviews out there. This pairs with a Quadlock motorcycle ball and the Quadlock case. I use this case and mount with my motorcycle, and if its good enough for 100MPH… its good enough for the jeep. Putting the retaining screw in was the first hole I made in the Jeep, and while unnerving, the results are worth it. The mount is rock solid.

Jeep Gladiator 2 holes in a brand new Jeep... Perfect Phone mount setup! 49887593306_68d2d31c0f_c

The next hole was done after seeing another member’s very clever placement of their phone charging cable. Simply punch a hole in the center console behind the gasket for the parking brake. From there you have a much easier to work with cable than having it dangling from the dash. Plus it allows me to keep it permanently plugged in and let other’s use the forward USB ports when they need.

From there I tucked the wire behind the plastic molding. It hides extremely easy. Tuck it behind and then shoot it up the back side of the dash.

The next task was to pop out the climate control. I followed a tutorial on Youtube and everything went smoothly. It is quite tough the first time you pop it out, and it will feel like you are about to break it. Just go slowly and it will eventually break free.

From there snake the wire up and behind the bezel for the screen, which requires 2 screws to pop off.

At the top of the bezel is just enough space to pop the wire out, and viola, the cable is right next to the phone mount. I measured the wire so that I have a bit of flex and don’t put strain on the phone/wire, then buttoned everything back up.

Since this is my daily driver, having a phone mount is an absolute must for directions, traffic, calls and music. This is one of the cleanest setups I’ve seen, and far better than how I had it originally!
I thought those little grooves on either side of the console were to run your phone cable out. That’s what we use them for and no holes in my Jeep.

OP
OP
Steak.Sauce

Steak.Sauce

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
I thought those little grooves on either side of the console were to run your phone cable out. That’s what we use them for and no holes in my Jeep.
True, but the plan is to get one of the security console inserts, which negates the use of those side holes. I wanted it to be as out of the way as possible.

TheSolarWizard

First Name
Memphis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
3.0 JT
Occupation
Solar & EV infrastructure
Do they make a mount like this with wireless charging?

Alan_Hepburn

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JT Sport S; 2007 Fleetwood Bounder 35E
Occupation
Retired
How long does the phone cable have to be to reach from the console up to the dash mount?

Sponsored

OP
OP
Steak.Sauce

Steak.Sauce

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
Do they make a mount like this with wireless charging?
I think they have a wireless head out now, I might pick one up and I will report back.

How long does the phone cable have to be to reach from the console up to the dash mount?
Oh forgot to mention that. I used a 6 foot cord and that left me enough to work with. Might be able to use a 5 foot cord to make it work, I didn't pull it super tight.

WhiteJT8541

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport
Occupation
LEO
Just added a USB and USB C to the dash and spliced into the back of the "Media" USB and USB C to give me Android and Apple at the center of the dash for phone holder, dash cam, radar detector, etc...
Jeep Gladiator 2 holes in a brand new Jeep... Perfect Phone mount setup! IMG_20200625_190756
Jeep Gladiator 2 holes in a brand new Jeep... Perfect Phone mount setup! IMG_20200625_190756
Mind sharing a link and how to for that?

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Mind sharing a link and how to for that?
Same here! I like that idea! I did something similar in my 2007 Ram 2500, were I replaced the passenger side 12v plug with a USB 3.0 plug that plugs directly into the back of my Alpine ILX-W650 head unit so it charges and does full Apple CarPlay/Navigation/iTunes and full phone control through the head unit.

Red circle bottom right screen...

Jeep Gladiator 2 holes in a brand new Jeep... Perfect Phone mount setup! IMG_0177

Sponsored

gsav69

First Name
Gabe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S (Max Tow), 2012 Mclaren 12C
Occupation
Biotech
Just added a USB and USB C to the dash and spliced into the back of the "Media" USB and USB C to give me Android and Apple at the center of the dash for phone holder, dash cam, radar detector, etc...
Jeep Gladiator 2 holes in a brand new Jeep... Perfect Phone mount setup! IMG_0177
Hey bud. Gladiator noon here. Hate to resurrect this. Can u share how u did this? Thx in advance.

Jaybre007

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Production Control Clerk
Yep, really interested in how you dis this. I am also looking at doing this with a 12 volt plug as well.
Sponsored