Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Stacy'sMom aka: 2020 JTR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Renovations
Vehicle Showcase
Unfortunately, I've been struck with a dose of reality lately and StacysMom has to get replaced.

So, Today, I prepped StacysMom for p/u by Vroom followed by finding a new truck.
I was trying to also save some cash on the new truck, but simply could not bring myself to save $10k (which breaks down to $150 mo)to buy a mid-30k truck that's5-6 yrs old and has 100-150k on the clock already and all of the trucks w/in 4 yrs of '21-22s are the same f'n price or more!

At the end of the day, I purchased a '21 Chevy Silverado 1500 Custom TrailBoss (new) for $2500 off MSRP while they also had a handful of used CTBs only50' away listed $500-1500 more with a few thousand miles on the clock. Seriously WTF?

Anyhow, over the last most of test drives, it quickly became clear that my JTR (for all is +s & -s) is at the end of the day, a really, really sweet rig, even stock!)

Just about every Ford VIN I searched was either a mess with doors opening or engines stalling or they had 100k +.
Just about every Toyota Tundra was 100k plus and basic as shit or more than new.
And Ram 1500 could not hold the plow I needed to run...
This left Chevy/GMC and they happened to have a '21 CTB on the lot to test drive and On-Sale!

The initial impressions were actually good, but it's very basic. I should likely compare the CTB with a JTS instead; but since they were both within $2k of each other MSRP wise; its more Apples to Apples when thinking for the $.

JTR ($49,5k) right out of the box drove well, was quiet, has a good stereo and tons and tons of bells and whistles!
Everything about the JT feels solid, body panels, bumpers, etc.

The CTB, looks great and drives well and is fairly quiet, but lacks something everywhere!
For $47.5K; the seats move forward and back and recline. That's it! The steering wheel and interior is all plastic. ALL PLASTIC except for the armrest which actually is nice (but out of place in the truck).
The bumpers on the CTB (although metal), feel less likely to hold up in a crash than the plastic coves of the JT. Seriously! Every part of the Chevy feels tinny in some fashion.
Heck, for almost $48k, they even skimp on rear fender liners. Seriously, I know the JTs front liners suck, but at least Jeep supplies them on all 4 corners!
And the tow hooks, LOL. Seriously, they make them "red," but I would not depend on them for anything. They are very weak looking, actually look more like factory tie-downs painted red then anything of quality.

- JT Initial Intended Mods: Wheels, tires, winch bumper, LineX bed, make travel/overland ready.
- CTB Initial Intended Mods: Replace plastic steering wheel and add stereo controls, USBs/PwrSupplies, Foglights, fender liners, LineX bed, seats/ seat covers, get a real center console; then all of the JT initial mods...

Anyhow, I just thought I'd share my initial impressions of my JTs replacement and as of right now, at least for now, I'm counting the days that I can afford another Jeep JTR...

Jeep Gladiator '20 JTR vs '21 CTB IMG_6661.JPG
Jeep Gladiator '20 JTR vs '21 CTB IMG_6676.JPG
Sponsored

Trauma PA

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT Willys, 2021 Audi Q3
Occupation
Trauma Surgery Physician Assistant
Good luck with the Trail Boss.

NJ_Mojave

Banned
Banned
First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mojave Gladiator
Occupation
Union Laborer
Funny cuz I trade in my LT Trailboss for my Mojave. All of the things you mentioned as being or feeling cheap ,I aid the same.

But the main reason for trading it in was lifted failure. I had roughly 3500 miles and bam…they fixed it but with the same parts that failed lol.

Even after that, they still gave me more than I paid for it lol. Haven’t looked back since.

image.jpg

Mtpisgah

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTM, 2018 JLR
Occupation
Engineer
Are you running the plow for work or side work? If for work, shouldn’t they provide you with a truck? Being responsible for maintenance at the resort should not make you use your own vehicle.

OP
OP
Jaydebe

Jaydebe

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Stacy'sMom aka: 2020 JTR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Renovations
Vehicle Showcase
Yes, it’s for work; but work I contracted.
Eventually, I will have a dedicated truck for plowing. I also needed a bigger truck for just life in general.

Are you running the plow for work or side work? If for work, shouldn’t they provide you with a truck? Being responsible for maintenance at the resort should not make you use your own vehicle.

Mtpisgah

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTM, 2018 JLR
Occupation
Engineer
Ok, for extra work it makes sense. we are planning trips to Windrock and Uhwarrie for September and October. we will hopefully get up your way for a weekend of mtb’ing too before the lifts close. I will let you know when we set the dates.
Sponsored