20' Overland - 6.5" + 43's

Rubi-Zero

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT, 2020 JLUR, S5
Oh I am very aware of Tank customs and Chris on this forum. He has built some sick Jeeps. I just didn’t know they had a hydraulic steering kit available.
Sponsored

OP
OP
7Rilla2

7Rilla2

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020-JT Overland
Occupation
Small Business
Oh I am very aware of Tank customs and Chris on this forum. He has built some sick Jeeps. I just didn’t know they had a hydraulic steering kit available.
Whao whao whao, we cant be tooooo nice, they haven't sold my take off D44 axles yet ! Hahaha

TTEChris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Website
tankcustoms.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTD
Occupation
Jeep
Thanks!
It’s not our kit, but a WTO kit spec’d to our liking :beer:

shrinkhead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Launch Edition
Awesome build!!!! Where's the HEMI?? I ordered the axle shafts and the other stuff a few weeks ago for the 37s going on my D44s. Could have saved a few bucks with your setup!!!

Sponsored

OP
OP
7Rilla2

7Rilla2

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020-JT Overland
Occupation
Small Business
Awesome build!!!! Where's the HEMI?? I ordered the axle shafts and the other stuff a few weeks ago for the 37s going on my D44s. Could have saved a few bucks with your setup!!!
I have my eye on something special, not a Hemi, but close its a secret for now.

davetha

Threads
Reaction score
Website
jeep.host
Vehicle(s)
Jeep TJ, Jeep JT
Build Thread
Link
How are you liking the Evo springs? I see a lot of mixed reviews on them with them bowing on the front etc..? Also is there any rake on the rear? I'm looking to swap out my 3.5 MC Springs

OP
OP
7Rilla2

7Rilla2

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020-JT Overland
Occupation
Small Business
No Rake on the rear and rear springs are great. The front springs are not terrible but not perfect. I do have some bowing on the front Passenger side, but the correction pad they sent me fixed it.

shrinkhead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Launch Edition
How are things going with your build ? Over the dinner I had the crazy thought to cancel the 40s and build up for 43s.

Sponsored

OP
OP
7Rilla2

7Rilla2

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020-JT Overland
Occupation
Small Business
How are things going with your build ? Over the dinner I had the crazy thought to cancel the 40s and build up for 43s.
Sorry for the late reply. I have been travelling quite a bit. I am finished with the build.

Regarding your thought of building for 43's, here is my take: If you are wrestling with the thought now, then do it. 1 of 2 things will happen. You will either go with 40's and regret it and not be happy or you will end doing it anyways and then have to deal with selling your 40's, etc etc.

There are some options for 43's on the market: Interco, Mickey T's, and Nitto makes a 42" that is quite popular as well.

I suggest you go with D 60's front/back, get the RAM heavy duty brake kit and at a MINIMUM go with 5.38 gears. If possible, go bigger like 5.88's or into the 6's if possible. I have 5.38 gears and my truck can only see 7th and 8th gear downhill. Flat highway driving with no crosswinds the best I can manage is 6th gear.

I do not daily drive my truck but unless you are going to trailer the truck to/from trails you do need to drive it on pavement at least a little.

I would also add, hydraulic steering has been excellent but make sure someone reputable builds it.

shrinkhead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Launch Edition
Sorry for the late reply. I have been travelling quite a bit. I am finished with the build.

Regarding your thought of building for 43's, here is my take: If you are wrestling with the thought now, then do it. 1 of 2 things will happen. You will either go with 40's and regret it and not be happy or you will end doing it anyways and then have to deal with selling your 40's, etc etc.

There are some options for 43's on the market: Interco, Mickey T's, and Nitto makes a 42" that is quite popular as well.

I suggest you go with D 60's front/back, get the RAM heavy duty brake kit and at a MINIMUM go with 5.38 gears. If possible, go bigger like 5.88's or into the 6's if possible. I have 5.38 gears and my truck can only see 7th and 8th gear downhill. Flat highway driving with no crosswinds the best I can manage is 6th gear.

I do not daily drive my truck but unless you are going to trailer the truck to/from trails you do need to drive it on pavement at least a little.

I would also add, hydraulic steering has been excellent but make sure someone reputable builds it.
That’s helpful! Thanks so much. Since I could not make up my mind I canceled my 40s and will put 38s on for now as an upgrade from the 37s but 42/43 is where I will end up (would be nice if the jamborees would get rid of their 40 max tire size mandate)

Going 42/43 will require for me a new long arm lift prob with coil overs, hydraulic assist, driveshafts, D60/80 or something with 8 lug wheels and so on = big $$& project and I think I’ll ask AMW to do everything in one swoop.

So I probably get another year out of the current build and since I do have the HEMI already not too worried about power and gears with the big tires but MPGs and range at that point lol.

The beauty of a 37/38 setup is it basically drives like stock or actually better with the HEMI (at least the 37s do). I do DD the truck but don’t really have to (just want to all the time ha ha ). The only issue is the tires still look small.

davetha

Threads
Reaction score
Website
jeep.host
Vehicle(s)
Jeep TJ, Jeep JT
Build Thread
Link
What hydro assist steering are you using? Is it a red neck ram? What steering box etc..?
Sponsored