First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020-JT Overland
Occupation
Small Business
Good morning. My first post. Been reading the forum for a few weeks. Time to man-up, join and try to contribute. Great group of folks on here. Glad to be a part!

2020 White Overland - purchased May 1st 2020 - 5k miles (don't drive it much on pavement) - I knew I was going to build this truck out, no need for a Max Tow or Rubicon when I was replacing it all anyways (except the locker, but didn't justify Rubicon price just for a locker). This truck is my only hobby and my free time is spent using it for fun, so I put all the money I can into it. I am learning, as I go, about what it takes to have a truly capable rig. I enjoy learning more each day.

The only Mod/part I regret so far is the Mopar hard bed cover.

Lift + tires/wheels:
- 6.5" Stage 4 EVO left w/ King shocks + 43" Tires (DOT radials) + Black Rhino Rage -44 offset, I dislike "bling bling" 20" wheels but on a build this size, you have to have a big offset and most large offset wheels come in a 20" or larger. I stayed with 17" wheels (just couldn't bring myself to bling it out) but do not quite have the turning clearance I need. I will not use wheel spacers, I'll chop metal before I use a spacer, I'll see how it goes in the future on difficult trails.
Drivetrain:
- 5.38 G2 gears, Diff Cover, HD ball joints, Metal Cloak disconnects, Metal Cloak 1-ton Drag Link, D44 Artec truss. King steering stabilizer, Powerstop big rotors + pads. Front drive shaft to improve front pinion angle, aFe RK Exhaust (added a little bit of nice sound but no serious gains), aFe cold-air intake (added some nice sound but I've not noticed any serious gains)
Exterior:
- Arcus Stubby Front Bumper (excellent turn clearance for large tires), Smittybilt 12k winch (this winch is legit....so far..), Bushwacker high fenders (turn signal lights are high quality), Scorcher (helps with RPM's but no serious gains), Barricade Roof rack (zero whistle, strong connection points), stubby ant (yes reception is good in the city but on trails, not so much), N-Fab steps, DV8 inner liners (not a great fit for the King Shock reseviors- needing trimming), Kemimoto motorcycle side mirrors (for doors off) and they stay on full time !!! Love this mod !
Extra:
- Taser (good for folks who want to reprogram lights, speedo, etc) this does not work for me, because it will only calibrate the speedo up to a 41.88" tire and I have 43's
Forthcoming:
- Chromoly axle shafts, D60's

All told, I've spent north of $25k so far + the price of the truck and I am not done (just puked in my mouth a little typing that). Not because I WANT to keep buying, but because I do not want to break what I've already bought. This. is. not. inexpensive. nor fast.

Current problems, not yet fixed: (and you/I/we both thought spending all that money and time meant not having problems ? Incorrect sir/madam)
- Death wobble between 35Mp/h - 45Mp/h (doesn't exist at low speed or high speeds). So far I am convinced this is due to the tire being a monster with huge lugs and there is simply nothing can be done to fix it
- Something, somewhere is lightly rattling. This ghostly sound can only be heard when I am by myself because the moment I take it somewhere to be fixed, it goes away. This must be karma for all the gross/mean/sarcastic stuff I have done to others in my youth/Army/early adulthood/world travels and now I am being paid back by the ghost of something metal !

Be blessed everyone.

Mike - JT.jpg
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
7Rilla2

7Rilla2

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020-JT Overland
Occupation
Small Business
Truss has been welded on. Too little too late though as I went ahead and placed my order for D60's with 5:38's, Eaton Lockers, Ram 3500 Brakes.

JT2.jpg

AdrianVall

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JT Sport Max Tow
Wow!! This is a wild build! I will definitely be following this. Looks like a lotta fun! I'd be very annoyed by that death wobble though.. hopefully you can get that resolved.

OP
OP
7Rilla2

7Rilla2

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020-JT Overland
Occupation
Small Business
Wow!! This is a wild build! I will definitely be following this. Looks like a lotta fun! I'd be very annoyed by that death wobble though.. hopefully you can get that resolved.
Did a simple air down of tires to get more lugs/tread evened out and touching pavement and it has helped but not eliminated it.
Work starts in a couple days and once the D60's go on, will be doing a rebalance of tires and alignment. Some tweaking/changing of geometry to other parts will be at same time. I'm being told this will most likely get me the remaining 75% of the way to fixing it completely. Fingers crossed !!!

Sponsored

OP
OP
7Rilla2

7Rilla2

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020-JT Overland
Occupation
Small Business
Have some serious rubbing on the arm, but 60's will be wider and should push out enough to eliminate this

JT6.jpg

Pow_wagon

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Sport
Occupation
Pizza delivery
- Something, somewhere is lightly rattling. This ghostly sound can only be heard when I am by myself because the moment I take it somewhere to be fixed, it goes away. This must be karma for all the gross/mean/sarcastic stuff I have done to others in my youth/Army/early adulthood/world travels and now I am being paid back by the ghost of something metal !

Be blessed everyone.
I had an annoying intermittent metal on metal rattle and finally found a loose bolt on my inner fender liner up front.

OP
OP
7Rilla2

7Rilla2

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020-JT Overland
Occupation
Small Business
I had an annoying intermittent metal on metal rattle and finally found a loose bolt on my inner fender liner up front.
Yeah, I started with the liners, went back from there. I'm hoping when I do the D60 swap in the upcoming days the guys can find it then.

Darkamek

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT-Sport S, 2021 JT-Sport S
How is the turning off-road with those tires? I would assume you could really benefit from a psc hydraulic steering setup.

OP
OP
7Rilla2

7Rilla2

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020-JT Overland
Occupation
Small Business
How is the turning off-road with those tires? I would assume you could really benefit from a psc hydraulic steering setup.
Steering is awful. No way of sugar coating it. Just bad. Yes, hydraulic steering is going in at same time of D60 swap. All done at once. Probably about a week away.

Sponsored

Darkamek

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Steering is awful. No way of sugar coating it. Just bad. Yes, hydraulic steering is going in at same time of D60 swap. All done at once. Probably about a week away.
Very nice, I hope it turns out like you want it too.

OP
OP
7Rilla2

7Rilla2

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020-JT Overland
Occupation
Small Business
Very nice, I hope it turns out like you want it too.
I have certainly taken the long road to get where I am, having done many things backwards and many things done twice to correct first mistake. I have learned through this process how to truly build a capable rig so I view all of this as paying for the education I now have.

Darkamek

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have certainly taken the long road to get where I am, having done many things backwards and many things done twice to correct first mistake. I have learned through this process how to truly build a capable rig so I view all of this as paying for the education I now have.
Yeah you live and you learn. So far I haven’t regretted anything yet. The only thing I debated forever was building the stock axles or jumping to Dana 60’s. Seeing how I don’t want to go past 37’s, I figured building the stock axles were fine. Maybe I’ll regret this later.
I’m sure you should be able to recoup a little bit on your axles.

Rubi-Zero

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT, 2020 JLUR, S5
It looks like you are still running a stock tierod but maybe I am mistaken of what I’m looking at, and it could be just the picture angle but it looks like it could be slightly bent. Do you plan to upgrade to a beefier tierod?

OP
OP
7Rilla2

7Rilla2

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020-JT Overland
Occupation
Small Business
Yeah you live and you learn. So far I haven’t regretted anything yet. The only thing I debated forever was building the stock axles or jumping to Dana 60’s. Seeing how I don’t want to go past 37’s, I figured building the stock axles were fine. Maybe I’ll regret this later.
I’m sure you should be able to recoup a little bit on your axles.
Yes, I will be selling the front & back Dana 44's with trusses already welded on, 5.38 G2 gears, Powerstop big brake kit and HD ball joints paired with 40" Yokohama's on 20x12 wheels.
Sponsored