2007 Jeep Wrangler - Help with check engine code

BGJeep

First Name
Brooklyn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Jeep Wrangler
I bought a 2007 Jeep Wrangler with 109k miles on Dec 31, 2019 from a small dealer. On Jan 1, 2020 the check engine light came on. The code is P0420 and P0430. I took it to a reputable Jeep mechanic and he said the catalytic converters had recently been replaced. He recommended I replace the O2 sensors with new factory ones, which I did. He said everything checks out fine and he is stumped. If I clear the check engine light it stays off until I get gas. When I get gas it comes back on. Any thoughts?
Sponsored

Rocksalt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport
I bought a 2007 Jeep Wrangler with 109k miles on Dec 31, 2019 from a small dealer. On Jan 1, 2020 the check engine light came on. The code is P0420 and P0430. I took it to a reputable Jeep mechanic and he said the catalytic converters had recently been replaced. He recommended I replace the O2 sensors with new factory ones, which I did. He said everything checks out fine and he is stumped. If I clear the check engine light it stays off until I get gas. When I get gas it comes back on. Any thoughts?
try the jk forum

bgenlvtex

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
https://www.engine-codes.com/p0420_jeep.html
https://www.engine-codes.com/p0430_jeep.html

P0420 is the upstream O2 sensor and P0430 is the downstream sensor.

The values between the two sensors should be different, indicating that the catalyst is functioning normally, when they are reading the same they think the catalyst is not functioning. I'm kind of wondering if your cat was replaced with a gutted cat or "test" tube.

The light coming on after fueling is kind of odd like maybe the purge valve is malfunctioning, There are however a number of causes for those two codes, you can search them on any number of sites.
Sponsored