Sponsored

Klutch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1986 Jeep Comanche, 2000 Jeep Cherokee
What differential gears come with the Mojave? Wondering if they're too tall and that's why we see so many complaints about it being sluggish and slow. My Sport S has 4:10 gears with an auto and it's downright peppy.

Eldage

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Manager
What differential gears come with the Mojave? Wondering if they're too tall and that's why we see so many complaints about it being sluggish and slow. My Sport S has 4:10 gears with an auto and it's downright peppy.
It has 4:10 and mine is surprisingly peppy. I guess it just depends on what the reviewers are comparing it to.
What tires does your Sport S have? The Mojave comes with 33's

Klutch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It has 4:10 and mine is surprisingly peppy. I guess it just depends on what the reviewers are comparing it to.
Interesting. I have a 1970 Mustang Mach 1 with a modified 351 Cleveland and a 5-speed. I have to be careful to keep it below 100 MPH. Mrs. Klutch drives a turbocharged Subaru Forester that gets up and goes pretty well. Compared to those vehicles, I still think my JT is pretty peppy. I've certainly driven cars and trucks with a LOT less acceleration.

Eldage

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Manager
Interesting quote, if it is true:

"For the 2021 model year, Off Road Plus also allows the Mojave's standard rear locking differential to be activated in 4HI mode. (The Rubicon's rear locker works only in 4LO.) Our truck does not have that ability at the moment, but Jeep says that it is working to make the feature a no-cost retrofit on 2020 models."

Sponsored

Demo_slug

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator 2020
Vehicle Showcase
Interesting. I have a 1970 Mustang Mach 1 with a modified 351 Cleveland and a 5-speed. I have to be careful to keep it below 100 MPH. Mrs. Klutch drives a turbocharged Subaru Forester that gets up and goes pretty well. Compared to those vehicles, I still think my JT is pretty peppy. I've certainly driven cars and trucks with a LOT less acceleration.
What size tires do you have? My sport max tow has the 4.10s too, and was very peppy with the stock 31 inch tires... but once I put 35s on, it was slower.

atxatxatx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
WK2Grand Cherokee,Gladiator Mojave
Interesting quote, if it is true:

"For the 2021 model year, Off Road Plus also allows the Mojave's standard rear locking differential to be activated in 4HI mode. (The Rubicon's rear locker works only in 4LO.) Our truck does not have that ability at the moment, but Jeep says that it is working to make the feature a no-cost retrofit on 2020 models."
Yea I read that article this morning
"Jeep says that it is working to make the feature a no-cost retrofit on 2020 models"
I'd be surprised if they actually do it, but who knows. I think someone here on this forum got it enabled by using a Tazer

In the Car and Driver article he also very briefly mentioned the bad steering. Wish he had brought more focus on this.

Klutch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
What size tires do you have? My sport max tow has the 4.10s too, and was very peppy with the stock 31 inch tires... but once I put 35s on, it was slower.
I still have the stock 31" tires. I want to go with bigger tires, but I don't want to lose the peppy factor. Not sure it's worth re-gearing.

JCHGlad

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR
Occupation
Real Estate sales/Development

Because it’s a manual, the manual in these (as much as it pains me) is not really that great...the 8spd is a different animal and all together a much better compliment to the current 3.6.

smlobx

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR, F-350 diesel, Porsche Spyder, Model Y
Occupation
Semi retired consultant
Plus the fact that they didn’t bother to down shift when they did their highway acceleration....that’s the whole point of a manual...to be able to put it in the optimal gear...

Maybe they should go back to driving school, but they probably don’t teach manual driving anymore HAH!

Last edited:

Sponsored

19JTRubiconEcoDiesel

First Name
JoLHY
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
3.6JLUR6MT HellaYella SkyTop, 3.8JKUX6MT RedRock HalfDoors, Deciding on JTRD or JTR4xe
The Aisin 6-speed manual transmission has sluggish gearing compared to the ZF 8-speed automatic. I prefer the gearing and clutching of my JKUX'es Getrag 6-speed manual than my JLUR'es Aisin.

Klutch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Plus the fact that they didn’t bother to down shift when they did their highway acceleration....that’s the whole point of a manual...to be able to put it in the optimal hear...

Maybe they should go back to driving school, but they probably don’t teach manual driving anymore HAH!
You're assuming people actually go to driving school. These days, most high schools have eliminated Driver's Ed; which explains a lot.

ssteve

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
camaro, audi Q, cj2a, ram
16.5 in the 1/4 and 8.5 0-60 is slow. Everyone uses “peppy” because with the auto these trucks move decently quick at lower speeds and at lower rpms have good response. But they are not fast, not even a little bit quick. Most mini vans would walk them on the big end of the 1/2. It’s why so many have longed for a v8 in a jeep. Great for trails, crawling etc, not enough power to be entertaining when driving it daily.

Demo_slug

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator 2020
Vehicle Showcase
16.5 in the 1/4 and 8.5 0-60 is slow. Everyone uses “peppy” because with the auto these trucks move decently quick at lower speeds and at lower rpms have good response. But they are not fast, not even a little bit quick. Most mini vans would walk them on the big end of the 1/2. It’s why so many have longed for a v8 in a jeep. Great for trails, crawling etc, not enough power to be entertaining when driving it daily.
In 1965 the Ford Mustang 289 with a four speed tested at 16.5sec qtr mile.
But today most minivans do 15s. Subaru 2.5 outback’s are in the 17s

Back in the day i thought my 289 mustang was pretty entertaining to drive.

my stock YJ was supposed to do 18s in the 1/4. Maybe :)

the concept of performance has changed over the years. (For the better)

SloW8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Mojave
Interesting. I have a 1970 Mustang Mach 1 with a modified 351 Cleveland and a 5-speed. I have to be careful to keep it below 100 MPH.
That skinny pedal on the right controls your speed, not hard to modulate that and keep it at the speed limit. :CWL::CWL::CWL:
Sponsored