2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon w/ 6” Rough Country lifts

GotBail337

First Name
Jarod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Looking for advice, just had my 6” RC kit installed, and I am not satisfied with the overall handling of this rig. The way the Jeep tracs when braking, bump in the road, etc. The front coil springs have some sloppyness to them also. Anyone else running this kit can offer any input? I am considering a Rubicon Express trac bar to help solve my issues.
0EE255EA-776C-4B87-84B5-542B3313EA4E.jpeg

Sponsored

Bbannongmu

First Name
JTR.Spartacus
Threads
Reaction score
Website
m.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Certified Emergency Manager
Vehicle Showcase
6” is a lot of lift on a Gladiator. Not sure how you use your Jeep so it can be hard to say what you need. Rough Country doesn’t tend to have complete, well engineered solutions. With 6” of lift, it’s really important to get good, properly set up adjustable control arms, spring bow correction, flipped and beefy drag link, beefy tie rods, good ball joints, new adjustable track bars/rear bracket to correct roll center, proper length end links, good quality shocks, proper axle gears and the right drive shaft(s). What is it about the ride? Too harsh? poor acceleration? Brake dive? That can help diagnose some possible incremental fixes.

Last edited:

RH 67

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Black Rubicon Gladiator, Alfa Romeo Quad
Occupation
Retired DOD, Army SF, SS.
I have to agree with the above. At 6" there is more than just bolting on a kit.

Renegade

First Name
Zac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT
Build Thread
Link
It appears you have Fox shocks, and springs which aren’t typical for Rough Country. Is anything else different about your lift? I will agree with the prior posts about typical RC lifts. They are generally pretty basic, but I have seen improvement over the years in their quality.

Lynn_F

First Name
Lynn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
What wheels are those? I looked at Black Rhinos website and couldn't find them...those are really sharp! Very nice looking truck, I hope you can get it handling the way you want.

Sponsored

MarineHawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Looking for advice, just had my 6” RC kit installed, and I am not satisfied with the overall handling of this rig. The way the Jeep tracs when braking, bump in the road, etc. The front coil springs have some sloppyness to them also. Anyone else running this kit can offer any input? I am considering a Rubicon Express trac bar to help solve my issues.
Sorry, but you made a mistake. Based on bad advice, in Jan. 2012, I put a cheap 4" lift from Pro Comp on my JKUR. I had the TC system going off all the time; the installer couldn't align it properly. Drove like hell.

I immediately spent a ton of money replacing all 8 control arms with Synergy adjustable control arms, track bars, tie rod, etc. … And then it drove like a dream.

With the JTR, I went all-in from the start. No cheap crap. My Rock Krawler 3" lift has 8 adjustable control arms; front adjustable trackbar; 4-link system that eliminates the rear trackbar; etc. …

It drives WAY better than stock now. I only went up half as much as you did, but spent three times as much. A 6" lift for $1.3K with no adjustable control arms, trackbars, or tie rod is a terrible idea. I made a similar mistake eight years ago.

Last edited:

Mjolnir

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Willys, 2020 Gladiator
Well if you have stock everything besides springs and one or two other parts...yea its gonna drive like shit. Get a complete kit and it'll drive well.

The question is, what parts did you install with this "kit"?

OP
OP
GotBail337

GotBail337

First Name
Jarod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Well if you have stock everything besides springs and one or two other parts...yea its gonna drive like shit. Get a complete kit and it'll drive well.

The question is, what parts did you install with this "kit"?
I have the 6” RC kit, with fox 2.0 shocks, and A Rubicon express trac bar.

OP
OP
GotBail337

GotBail337

First Name
Jarod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
What wheels are those? I looked at Black Rhinos website and couldn't find them...those are really sharp! Very nice looking truck, I hope you can get it handling the way you want.
Yes black rhino 22x11 wheels, these were the last set available. They are on back order currently.

Mjolnir

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have the 6” RC kit, with fox 2.0 shocks, and A Rubicon express trac bar.
But WHAT does the kit include?

Adjustable control arms? Upper, lower, front, back, all eight?

Track bar front or rear? If rear, does it have a relocation bracket?

Front/back sway bar links?

New driveshaft since your pinion angle/caster/thrust is fucked if you DONT have adjustable control arms (all 8 for a lift like this)?

Drop pitman arm? New tie rod? New drag link?

Throw us a bone here man...

Sponsored

REDBEAST

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon LE, 2017 Jaguar F-Type SVR
Occupation
Retired

Mine is only lifted 2.5" but after the install noticed a lot of bump steer problems. Installing the Rubicon Express adjustable front track bar solved the problem by centering the axle under the front end.

ZTMAN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 F150, 2016 JKU WW

Mjolnir

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I had to know. Below is a link to the six inch lift kit for the JT:

https://www.roughcountry.com/jeep-gladiator-suspension-lift-kit-91230.html?rrec=true

Thanks. I didn't feel like looking it up because it's info we should be given lol.

No adjustable control arms. Nothing for the steering stabilizer. No adjustable track bars.

For a lift this size, you would need more than just a track bar bracket.

OP, your caster/pinion/ angles are out (thrust most likely too). Your axles are deff not centered. Get adjustable track bars for both front and rear, along with a full set of adjustable control arms. Get your angles aligned to as close to stock as you can. That should fix you up pretty good.

OP
OP
GotBail337

GotBail337

First Name
Jarod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks. I didn't feel like looking it up because it's info we should be given lol.

No adjustable control arms. Nothing for the steering stabilizer. No adjustable track bars.

For a lift this size, you would need more than just a track bar bracket.

OP, your caster/pinion/ angles are out (thrust most likely too). Your axles are deff not centered. Get adjustable track bars for both front and rear, along with a full set of adjustable control arms. Get your angles aligned to as close to stock as you can. That should fix you up pretty good.
648EB6B3-17C3-4FE7-989D-9AE93E689B7A.jpeg

these are my specs from alignment shop

Harold0819

First Name
Harold
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sting Gray Gladiator Rubicon, 2008 Jeep JKU, 2019 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk Hemi
Your front caster appears way off. Rock Krawler recommends 5.0-5.5 degrees with a 5" kit. Caster being that far off alone will give you horrible handling. The steering will wander and there will be a lot of bump steer. That could also set you up for death wobble. As others have said you need a full set of upper and lower control arms. Adjustable tracbars would be good as well but with 6" of lift you will need tracbar brackets. That doesn't address the draglink as that may need to be flipped on the knuckle to keep it in phase with the tracbar. It looks like the kit has drop brackets for the front control arms but none for the rear. Not sure what they are using to correct the rear pinion angle and the rear axle will be moved forward in the wheel well also.
Not trying to flame you but it never ceases to amaze me how many people buy an inexpensive kit and expect it to ride and handle as well as stock. Those who know are not spending 2-3x the cost of that kit and more because we want to. We do it because we know what the vehicle will need to function properly lifted and want a complete kit engineered to provided it. Ultimately, if you buy a complete set of adjustable control arms and heavy duty trackbars, you will of spent as much as most of spent for an entire kit....and you will still have Rough Country shocks.
Sponsored