2020 Jeep Gladiator Specifications Sheet & Feature Availability

2015er

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ram 1500 Laramie 4x4
Someone needs to poi t out that the whole, "they put a JLU body on the Gladiator frame" is incorrect. They did not in fact put the JLU body on the Gladiator fre, they put what amounts to a modified JLU body on the Gladiator frame. The Gladiator cab is a chopped version of the JLU body. The fact people keep saying it is that simple is ridiculous. At least be accurate when minimizing the ount of work that goes into designing a new vehicle.

That being said, putting a JL body on the Gladiator frame would get an extended cab without too much modification but you would end up with a truck that you have to climb in behind the front seat to get in the back. If you wanted half doors then there is a new cab development required for that and then they need a supplier to build their longer boxes and extended cabs.

As for the straight 2 door idea, that adds both a new supplier or having suppliers develop new lines to produce the Gladiator reg-cab and the Gladiator long box.

I think it would be great if they offered those setups though I have no interest in owning one myself. The problem becomes the added cost for FCA to add additional assembly lines to take on the new models, the cost for the suppliers to put together new assembly lines for the different boxes and cabs and if we want a reg cab Short box then a new frame and complete redevelopment of the entire vehicle, minus the doors forward basically.

It would be awesome to see these made but please, stop trying to minimize the amount of work that goes into designing and developing these. It's not as simple as slap a different body on and weld some more metal to that box.
I agree - engineering changes to accommodate a smaller cab and longer bed is no easy undertaking. The question becomes is it worth it to do so. I obviously contend that it would be as evidenced by all the other manufacturers and the varied formats offered with their mid-size trucks. I think Jeep has taken a very pragmatic approach towards designing and launching the Gladiator. That's why the offering of only one single format. And once again, good for the people who want this truck in this format - I genuinely am happy for them and I am excited that their need is met. I hope that Jeep continues to monitor the market and can move to offer additional formats that expand the appeal of the Gladiator.
Sponsored

2015er

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes, they would have to add it on as the head of the Gladiator design team and their head of marketing have both said they are not making an extended or regular cab. That comment was something along the lines of " We are only making a crew cab with a five foot bed period. People will ask for an extended or regular cab but they won't buy it." It is very obvious FCA has no issue losing sales of extended or regular cab mid-size trucks with a longer bed to Ford, GM, and Toyota.

I am sure the fact a Ranger XLT extended cab 4x4 with a 6' bed and FX4 Package has an MSRP 35,000. The Gladiator Sport S (comparable trim) with Auto is likely to be close to 42k. I m sure FCA likely said they don't want to compete at that price point for a truck with a limited market.
These are the same replies the marketing and design folks at Jeep used in denying that another Jeep pickup truck would ever be built - and now look at where we are today.

Also, I have seen the video of the design chief saying that the crew cab is it - nothing else will be offered. However, if you listen to what is said later in the video he also states that this truck is not the result of market analysis or preferences but rather it is the result of the outcry from Jeep owners and others that they wanted a pickup. Let's employ the same method now for expanding the formats to include an extended cab. If it is said often enough and loudly perhaps new formats will come - after all it can't hurt...

JustSomeGuy

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Outback XT, 2005 Outback 2.5i, 2004 Miata, 2018 Civic
I understand your point but recent events suggest the availability of extended cab version could very well happen. I cite for you the 2019 Ram Rebel - when initially produced it came only in a crew cab. But Ram in planning the formats for their 2019 major redesign now makes available a quad cab Rebel. Same principal applies here - redistribute the space gained from a shorter cab to providing more space in the bed.
You keep using this argument of Crew cab vs Quad cab, but I don't think it supports your argument.
Firstly, they went from making only a long 4 door to also making a slightly-not-quite-as-long 4 door. That is, they started with the most popular body style, then added the second most popular body style. It's still a long shot away, speaking in take rate percent, from any non-fleet-sale 2 door variant (which is interestingly non-existent in the entire Ram 1500 lineup). So perhaps if Jeep followed the Rebel's lead, they will introduce a Gladiator Mega Cab!
Secondly, even though they did shorten the cab and lengthen the bed, the wheelbase is still longer. So I guess it went deeper than just bolting a new cab and box to the same frame. Just something to know I guess.

Thirdly, we've all seen these same arguments you have made several times. I repeat for emphasis, you have made these same arguments several times. I repeat for emphasis, you have made these same arguments several times. I repeat for emphasis, you have made these same arguments several times. I repeat for emphasis, you have made these same arguments several times. I repeat for emphasis, you have made these same arguments several times. I repeat for emphasis, you have made these same arguments several times. I repeat for emphasis, you have made these same arguments several times. Any comment made on the internet isn't going anywhere. Don't worry, nobody here will forget that 2015er wants a 2 door long bed for his active lifestyle, that it is completely feasible based on the Ram Rebel, that many people are clamoring for that variant, that the marketing people are habitual liars, etc...

JustSomeGuy

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Outback XT, 2005 Outback 2.5i, 2004 Miata, 2018 Civic
Disclaimer: I'm not against the 2 door variant, options are what makes life interesting. I, just like numerous others on this forum, am just tired of seeing you make the same arguments over and over.

I understand that you want to annoy Jeep into making it. I get it. Please do that: bother Jeep. Send them spam emails from several different accounts. Hire a Russian Twitter Bot to send the Jeep marketing people PMs. Just please, please, please chill it here.

Please with a cherry on top.
and sprinkles.

K enny

First Name
Kelly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
I understand that you want to annoy Jeep into making it. I get it. Please do that: bother Jeep. Send them spam emails from several different accounts. Hire a Russian Twitter Bot to send the Jeep marketing people PMs. Just please, please, please chill it here.

Please with a cherry on top.
and sprinkles.
+1

Sponsored

Jeep_VB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 LE Gladiator, 22 Grand Wagoneer S1
I understand your point but recent events suggest the availability of extended cab version could very well happen. I cite for you the 2019 Ram Rebel - when initially produced it came only in a crew cab. But Ram in planning the formats for their 2019 major redesign now makes available a quad cab Rebel. Same principal applies here - redistribute the space gained from a shorter cab to providing more space in the bed.

Yes and No that it applies here, first they never said they were not going to make an extended cab, they just waited to see how the rebel did. Second they already had Ram extended cab trucks on the road so didn't take much to make one for the rebel. My thought is if they do an extended cab for the Gladiator you are not going to gain a much longer bed in my opinion. I say this because if they take a 2 door and put it on a Gladiator frame the 2 door still has a back seat. I don't know the full dimensions of the 2 door and of the 4 door but I don't believe that there is going to be a huge difference there, maybe I'm wrong. But either way you are talking about developing a new bed, and then changing features/ coming up with new features since the rear seat is smaller so what they have developed for the 4 door won't necessarily work for the 2 door. Now add to that the cost of changing things on the line when they want to change from 4 door to 2 door and vice versa and the down time to do so. Remember it's not just about making a profit on them it's about making enough profit for it to be worth it. Jeep has said that they pretty much make the 2 door JL because they always have.

2015er

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You keep using this argument of Crew cab vs Quad cab, but I don't think it supports your argument.
Firstly, they went from making only a long 4 door to also making a slightly-not-quite-as-long 4 door. That is, they started with the most popular body style, then added the second most popular body style. It's still a long shot away, speaking in take rate percent, from any non-fleet-sale 2 door variant (which is interestingly non-existent in the entire Ram 1500 lineup). So perhaps if Jeep followed the Rebel's lead, they will introduce a Gladiator Mega Cab!
Secondly, even though they did shorten the cab and lengthen the bed, the wheelbase is still longer. So I guess it went deeper than just bolting a new cab and box to the same frame. Just something to know I guess.

Thirdly, we've all seen these same arguments you have made several times. I repeat for emphasis, you have made these same arguments several times. I repeat for emphasis, you have made these same arguments several times. I repeat for emphasis, you have made these same arguments several times. I repeat for emphasis, you have made these same arguments several times. I repeat for emphasis, you have made these same arguments several times. I repeat for emphasis, you have made these same arguments several times. I repeat for emphasis, you have made these same arguments several times. Any comment made on the internet isn't going anywhere. Don't worry, nobody here will forget that 2015er wants a 2 door long bed for his active lifestyle, that it is completely feasible based on the Ram Rebel, that many people are clamoring for that variant, that the marketing people are habitual liars, etc...
It is amazing the reactions one sees from an opinion posted about a pickup truck....

homerun

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1996 XJ, 2004 Ford Ranger, 2013 Subaru Impreza, 1996 HD Springer Softtail, past jeep 1995 YJ
@JAY - Thanks again for all you do. Would it be possible for you to dig up some extra info on the two wheel options for the Rubicon or at least point us in the right direction where we could find out more info? Specifically I am hoping to learn the Weight, Max Load Rating, Backspacing, and offset. Oh also the size, I know they are 17 inch, but is that 17*7.5, 17*9 ect? I know we can speculate off a JL, but I thought I heard the JT wheels would be different for the higher tow ratings. Thanks

J Redding

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland 2020 Billet Silver Gladiator Overland
Occupation
CNC Machinist
I thought I saw, and was mentioned in a video, that the front of the bed had a notch to slide in a 2x4. This, in conjunction with the half position of the gate, work to support sheet goods.
Thise slots are the height for a 2X6 and I think they are behind the wheel wells so the wheel wells a 5.5 inches tall.

J Redding

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
CNC Machinist

Sponsored

J Redding

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
CNC Machinist
Here's what these options are likely to cost, according to the same or similar options on JLUs and/or Ram 1500s. This list is specifically for Rubicon options, as listed in the available options above.

upload_2018-12-7_17-37-27.png

upload_2018-12-7_17-33-4.png
There are several options that force you to take additional options but they still charge for both it isn't a package deal

kayakmike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Granite Crystal Metallic Launch Edition
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Rocket Scientist
Thise slots are the height for a 2X6 and I think they are behind the wheel wells so the wheel wells a 5.5 inches tall.
it needs to be a 2X6 not 2X4.
No, it needs to be a 2x4 on side above the wheel well and 2 2x4s on end (~7" high) behind the wheel well, not 2x4 or 2x6:

https://www.jeepgladiatorforum.com/...em-with-4x8-plywood.10172/page-11#post-227693

(Note: latest manual update shows PLYWOOD capacity of 500 lb, not 300 lb.)

I guess this is in reply to a post from back in December, before any of the details were known and discussed ad nauseam in the referenced thread after the original post...

Last edited:

msujedi

First Name
Jed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Sport S, 2014 Durango, 2020 Ibis Ripley
Vehicle Showcase
No, it needs to be a 2x4 on side above the wheel well and 2 2x4s on end (~7" high) behind the wheel well, not 2x4 or 2x6:

https://www.jeepgladiatorforum.com/...em-with-4x8-plywood.10172/page-11#post-227693

(Note: latest manual update shows PLYWOOD capacity of 500 lb, not 300 lb.)

I guess this is in reply to a post from back in December, before any of the details were known and discussed ad nauseam in the referenced thread after the original post...
Yep ... closer to 7" depth.

kayakmike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Granite Crystal Metallic Launch Edition
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Rocket Scientist