2020 jl breakin oil change maintenance

Arif

First Name
Moe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Bought 2020 jlu Sahara in 4th week of october 2019 (delivered). Due to pandemic , did not drive too much. Its been about 5 months, and put on only 2000 km (Not miles). For the breakin oil change, I have been inundated with phone calls from dealership reminding for oil change.

Due to Covid19, I do not want to take me baby for an oil change, until things get better in a month or so.

Need advise as to how long can I pull on delaying this first oil change, for my jlu at 2000km/5 months. Jeep has been running great without any issues.
Sponsored

rustyshakelford

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR-8 speed 2020 F-350
I’d wait till you want to go in or the Jeep tells you. I don’t think y’all have Jeep wave which covers the first 4 oil changes. I’m sure the dealer is trying to strum up some business

Brett

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
I believe that the owners manual says something like “10,000 miles or 1 year, whichever comes first provided you are not in extreme duty” (the define extreme duty as lots of idling (fleet vehicles) and lots of off road (dusty) use.

folks here will have various schedules that they like but, if you want to wait a bit, default to the manual.

nerubi

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR, 2020 VW Tiguan
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I believe that the owners manual says something like “10,000 miles or 1 year, whichever comes first provided you are not in extreme duty” (the define extreme duty as lots of idling (fleet vehicles) and lots of off road (dusty) use.

folks here will have various schedules that they like but, if you want to wait a bit, default to the manual.
Ditto.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
No worries Moe, if you're not opposed to twisting wrenches I'd HIGHLY recommend doing this yourself. The JL is the easiest vehicle to change your own oil of all the vehicles I've owned over the last 42+ years (and I've always done my own oil changes).

This only applies to the V6 motor since that's what I own. It's a simple 15 minute job, and if you buy your oil in a 5qt jug there's no way to overfill it :) Another bonus is the oil filter is on top so no spilling oil all over cross members and splash trays etc.

All you need is a 1/2" socket, a 15/16" socket, and a drain pan :)

Sponsored

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
Bought 2020 jlu Sahara in 4th week of october 2019 (delivered). Due to pandemic , did not drive too much. Its been about 5 months, and put on only 2000 km (Not miles). For the breakin oil change, I have been inundated with phone calls from dealership reminding for oil change.

Due to Covid19, I do not want to take me baby for an oil change, until things get better in a month or so.

Need advise as to how long can I pull on delaying this first oil change, for my jlu at 2000km/5 months. Jeep has been running great without any issues.
2000km is too soon to put full synthetic in.

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
Ok, and what exactly is "break-in oil".
Also where exactly in the owners manual does it tell you when to change the "break-in oil"?
Read the break in instructions in the manual. Also the oil life sensor will tell you when to change.

Break in oil typically doesn't have detergents and is high in zinc.

Sponsored

KrzybonesJLU

First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
There is a thread on here in regards to first oil changes. Some people did there oil changes when hit 1k miles. I took mine in this past weekend at 6k miles. I am a first time jeep owner and have the jeep wave program. I've looked up doing this myself and I agree it is extremely easy. Much easier then my last 3 cars that I've owned. Since I have 4 oil changes covered I'll take advantage of it. I believe the owners manual says 10k. But most people say they do it between 1-5k miles.

Bikemobile

First Name
Zak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
Vehicle Showcase
Here’s a thread where a guy sent in his factory fill oil to blackstone labs after 2007 miles. The zinc level (799 ppm) was consistent with average 5w20 mobil 1 synthetic zinc levels (800 ppm).

“break-in oil” is used for flat tappet camshafts on OLD engines. The zinc levels are usually 1200 ish ppm.

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...ctory-fill-2000-miles-blackstone-report.4742/

They have to honor your warranty if you follow the break in recommendations or not. Change it when you want within the required miles. The sooner the better as always but no need to pop a vein over it.

Avar928

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU 2.0 Sport S Granite
http://www.fcacanada.ca/owners/en/manuals/2019/2019E-All_New_Wrangler-UG-1st.pdf

Page 149 for engine break-in. Page 207 for oil change.

ENGINE BREAK-IN RECOMMENDATIONS
A long break-in period is not required for the engine and drive train (transmission and axle)in your vehicle. Drive moderately during the first 300 miles(500 km). After the initial 60 miles(100 km), speeds up to 50 or 55 mph (80 or90 km/h) are desirable.While cruising, brief full-throttle acceleration within the limits of local traffic laws contributes to a good break-in. Wide-open throttle acceleration in low gear can be detrimental and should be avoided.The engine oil installed in the engine at the factory is a high-quality energy conserving type lubricant. Oil changes should be consistent with anticipated climate conditions under which vehicle operations will occur.

SCHEDULED SERVICING
Your vehicle is equipped with an automatic oil change indicator system. The oil change indicator system will remind you that it is time to take your vehicle in for scheduled maintenance....

Operating conditions such as frequent short-trips, trailer tow, extremely hot or cold ambient temperatures will influence when the “Change Oil” or “Oil Change Required” message is displayed. Severe Operating Conditions can cause the change oil message to illuminate as early as 3,500 miles (5,600 km) since last reset. Have your vehicle serviced as soon as possible, within the next 500 miles (805 km)....

NOTE: Under no circumstances should oil change intervals exceed 10,000 miles (16,000 km), twelve months or 350 hours of engine runtime, whichever comes first. The 350 hours of engine run or idle time is generally only a concern for fleet customers.

Follow FCA ie. your Jeep will tell you OR do it once a year or do not exceed 10,000mi. There is no mention of any lower limit, only upper based on time, mileage or duty. You can change it at 100, 1,000 or 10,000mi. Up to you. Changing more frequently may not hurt but it's also not going to do you any better than someone changing a couple thousand more. Personally, I'll run my synthetic to around 7,000mi. Engine stays happy and I'm not unnecessarily adding to the existing waste streams with extra changes.

Paluss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLURD
Ok, and what exactly is "break-in oil".
Also where exactly in the owners manual does it tell you when to change the "break-in oil"?
Break-in oil? (playoffs?)Break-in oil? Break-in oil? I know he didn't say Break-in oil?
Break-in oil?
Break-in oil?
I know he didn't say Break-in oil?:LOL:

Rufus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2 door JL Sport 3.6 V6
I waited about a year (I too didn’t drive much in that first year...5k miles). I actually probably waited over a year if you add in the time it sat on the lot before I bought it. My routine will be every 5k or so, and I will use up my Jeep wave changes then do it myself after that.
Sponsored