2020 Overland Towing Capacity

Tourenwagen

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland
There is a lot of contradictory advice out there for my Overland, and I'm trying get a definitive answer. Any help appreciated!

I don't believe my Overland has the tow package although it has a wired trailer plug. I've read that my truck's towing capacity varies anywhere from 4000lbs to 6000lbs depending on options. I need to know an exact number though.

Can anyone confirm by the pics below that I do/do not have the towing package, as well as what weight I would be able to comfortable tow if I installed a hitch?

I am looking to tow around 4700lbs over a 700 mile journey so I want to make sure I don't run into trouble. Thanks.

image0-3.jpg

image145363.jpg

image45346573.jpg

imagew3432543522.jpg
Sponsored

futzin'

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JTR, '15 Durango Citadel, '06 Suburban 2500 8L
automatic or stick shift?

OP
OP
Tourenwagen

Tourenwagen

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland
automatic or stick shift?
Automatic. Also have the 2" MOPAR lift and 35" tires as I guess that's going to come into play too...

DSC-0058.jpg

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
You do NOT have a towing package. You simply have the Class II hitch and wiring, which is standard equipment on all Gladiators.

You can drill out a hole in the plastic bumper cover and mount a ball directly to the hitch you've got now. The plate under that area of the bumper gives reinforcement.

If you want to use a receiver style hitch instead, you'll need to unbolt the Class II in order to bolt up the new Class IV.

According to the owners manual version 2, you are currently capped at 3,500 lbs. towing maximum due to the hitch your truck came with. If you replace the hitch with a Class IV, you can then tow 4,500 lbs. with your truck.

Br4hm4

First Name
Grant
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT OE, 2016 Polaris Slingshot, 2012 Kia Sportage, 2018 Nissan LEAF
Occupation
Linux Engineer
You do NOT have a towing package. You simply have the Class II hitch and wiring, which is standard equipment on all Gladiators.

You can drill out a hole in the plastic bumper cover and mount a ball directly to it.

If you want to use a receiver style hitch, you'll need to unbolt the Class II in order to bolt up the Class IV.

According to the owners manual version 2, you are currently capped at 3,500 lbs. towing maximum due to the hitch your truck came with. If you replace the hitch with a Class IV, you can then tow 4,500 lbs. with your truck.
I think there is some confusion because of wording on the sticker. When I bought mine it showed something about a tow package with a class IV hitch, bigger alternator, better cooling, and some other verbiage. I'll have to grab my sticker and take a photo of it. I was under the impression from the dealer as well as things I have read online the Overland could tow 6,000lbs with the set up I have.

Sponsored

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I think there is some confusion because of wording on the sticker. When I bought mine it showed something about a tow package with a class IV hitch, bigger alternator, better cooling, and some other verbiage. I'll have to grab my sticker and take a photo of it. I was under the impression from the dealer as well as things I have read online the Overland could tow 6,000lbs with the set up I have.
That's correct. WITH the towing package added to the Overland, it can tow 6,000 lbs.

However, without the towing package it's capped at 3,500 lbs. due to the rating of the hitch. After upgrading the hitch to Class IV, the truck then becomes capped by the drivetrain rating, not the hitch rating, which then takes it to 4,500 lbs. towing capacity.

In the case of the OP's truck, as it sits right now, the hitch is the limiting factor. 3,500 lbs. maximum.

OP
OP
Tourenwagen

Tourenwagen

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland

You can drill out a hole in the plastic bumper cover and mount a ball directly to the hitch you've got now. The plate under that area of the bumper gives reinforcement.

If you want to use a receiver style hitch instead, you'll need to unbolt the Class II in order to bolt up the new Class IV.

That's correct. WITH the towing package added to the Overland, it can tow 6,000 lbs.

However, without the towing package it's capped at 3,500 lbs. due to the rating of the hitch. After upgrading the hitch to Class IV, the truck then becomes capped by the drivetrain rating, not the hitch rating, which then takes it to 4,500 lbs. towing capacity.

In the case of the OP's truck, as it sits right now, the hitch is the limiting factor. 3,500 lbs. maximum.
This is awesome... exactly what I wanted to know. Thank-you for the clear and concise response! :)

Based on this I'll be renting a truck rather than risking melting my trans.

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
This is awesome... exactly what I wanted to know. Thank-you for the clear and concise response! :)

Based on this I'll be renting a truck rather than risking melting my trans.
No prob. BTW, if you ever need to reference this in the future it's on page 366 and 367 in the full online version of the owners manual. A lot of the time Jeep doesn't supply a manual these days, but you can download it for free.

OP
OP
Tourenwagen

Tourenwagen

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland
No prob. BTW, if you ever need to reference this in the future it's on page 366 and 367 in the full online version of the owners manual. A lot of the time Jeep doesn't supply a manual these days, but you can download it for free.
Will have a look for the online manual now, thank-you.

Just found a Mopar class 4 hitch for $260. Will grab that just so at least I get the truck to the 4500lbs capacity for future.
Sponsored