Sponsored

2020 Rubicon auto... looking for a travel trailer, is 4,500ish lbs going to too much to reasoably tow or should I limit to a 3,500 lbs trailer?

cgm

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gobi Rubicon
My wife wants to get rid of the popup for a travel trailer. We have two kids, 10&12 and a 50 lb dog. We are not really worried about tons of interior space, it is mostly needed for sleeping and using the bathroom in the middle of the night. Our group of friends all have travel trailers... becuase they are always loaded up, it is really easy for them to pack, get to the camp site, unhitch , set up and start drinking.

Our 1997 popup fits our needs except for the bathroom and the pain in the ass it takes to pop it up, pack it, pop it down, drive to the camp site, set it up... then repeat the process to pack it up to go home.

Camping world currently has a metric ass load of base model trailers, this is the one I am looking at, its dry weight is 3,100 lbs. https://rv.campingworld.com/rvdetai...leman-lantern-lt-17b-bunkhouse-10k-GRV1851820

To me, this is a crap load of money to spend on a camper... yes I realize that this is as cheap as they get, but still... if i'm spendign this much, should I spend a bit more and get something bigger with a bump out and a walk around bed?

I would look used for a bigger camper, is 4500 lbs ish reasonable, i know I'm rated for 6000lbs towing, but would rather not push it too much.
Sponsored

Mister Lamb

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Willy's
Occupation
Power Plant Operator
Also curious how far I can realistically push my stock Willy's. Contemplating a re-gear to 4.10 when the time comes. I'm feeling like 4500lbs is technically doable but the engine will be working hard throughout and mileage will be piss poor.

WILDHOBO

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Network Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
My wife wants to get rid of the popup for a travel trailer. We have two kids, 10&12 and a 50 lb dog. We are not really worried about tons of interior space, it is mostly needed for sleeping and using the bathroom in the middle of the night. Our group of friends all have travel trailers... becuase they are always loaded up, it is really easy for them to pack, get to the camp site, unhitch , set up and start drinking.

Our 1997 popup fits our needs except for the bathroom and the pain in the ass it takes to pop it up, pack it, pop it down, drive to the camp site, set it up... then repeat the process to pack it up to go home.

Camping world currently has a metric ass load of base model trailers, this is the one I am looking at, its dry weight is 3,100 lbs. https://rv.campingworld.com/rvdetai...leman-lantern-lt-17b-bunkhouse-10k-GRV1851820

To me, this is a crap load of money to spend on a camper... yes I realize that this is as cheap as they get, but still... if i'm spendign this much, should I spend a bit more and get something bigger with a bump out and a walk around bed?

I would look used for a bigger camper, is 4500 lbs ish reasonable, i know I'm rated for 6000lbs towing, but would rather not push it too much.
We tow 3500 with our lifted 21 rubicon and itā€™s no problem whatsoever. We donā€™t win any races up steep mountain passes, but no issues with temps whatsoever. On flatter land, itā€™s like the trailer isnā€™t there. Iā€™d say youā€™d be fine with 4500, as long as you donā€™t expect to go 75mph up 7% grades. And our trailer is tall and not even close to aerodynamic. A pop up is usually pretty low. You should be golden.

Edit: I misread your post. I now see you want a travel trailer. I still think youā€™re fine. 5-6k might be pushing it, but 4500 should be fine.

Jeep Gladiator 2020 Rubicon auto... looking for a travel trailer, is 4,500ish lbs going to too much to reasoably tow or should I limit to a 3,500 lbs trailer? 7832E517-55BC-485B-8D02-C144710ECF62

OP
OP
cgm

cgm

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gobi Rubicon
Also curious how far I can realistically push my stock Willy's. Contemplating a re-gear to 4.10 when the time comes. I'm feeling like 4500lbs is technically doable but the engine will be working hard throughout and mileage will be piss poor.
Looking through threads, it seems like guys are pulling 5k plus campers. What Iā€™m wondering is if itā€™s too much to really be worth it

OP
OP
cgm

cgm

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gobi Rubicon
We tow 3500 with our lifted 21 rubicon and itā€™s no problem whatsoever. We donā€™t win any races up steep mountain passes, but no issues with temps whatsoever. On flatter land, itā€™s like the trailer isnā€™t there. Iā€™d say youā€™d be fine with 4500, as long as you donā€™t expect to go 75mph up 7% grades. And our trailer is tall and not even close to aerodynamic. A pop up is usually pretty low. You should be golden.

Jeep Gladiator 2020 Rubicon auto... looking for a travel trailer, is 4,500ish lbs going to too much to reasoably tow or should I limit to a 3,500 lbs trailer? 7832E517-55BC-485B-8D02-C144710ECF62
Thatā€™s good to hear. If you are lifted and have no problem with 3500lbs then I should be fine. Now I just need to find the right camper.

Sponsored

WILDHOBO

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Network Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Thatā€™s good to hear. If you are lifted and have no problem with 3500lbs then I should be fine. Now I just need to find the right camper.
Lifted 3ā€ in front, 4ā€ in rear to make sure itā€™s level when towing and hauling. 37ā€ tires. I did go to 5.13:1 gears. When it was a stock rubicon with 4.10:1 and 33ā€™s, it also towed like a champ. Same trailer then.

mdyucca

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator
Occupation
Retired
You will find plenty of people who tell you the tow capacity for the Rubicon is roughly 6k lbs. With this in mind a 5k lb. trailer should be no problem. In reality the Gladiator is not a heavy hauler. To maintain a reasonable level of comfort you should look for the lightest trailer that fits your familyā€™s needs. Considering ultimate load camp supplies, water, people, fuel and favorite libations you will hit the max load quicker than you realize.
Another trailer consideration for Off Roaders is trailer build quality. If you will be taking your new trailer through rough terrain be sure to review trailer build quality.
Happy Camping!

chorky

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
'06 TJ GE, '22 JTR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Forester

Can you wait it out for another year or two? This crazy inflated market can't keep lasting forever.... When I see small teardrops selling for 55K... I know its time to just go without for a while till it crashes and becomes reasonable again.

WILDHOBO

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Network Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
You will find plenty of people who tell you the tow capacity for the Rubicon is roughly 6k lbs. With this in mind a 5k lb. trailer should be no problem. In reality the Gladiator is not a heavy hauler. To maintain a reasonable level of comfort you should look for the lightest trailer that fits your familyā€™s needs. Considering ultimate load camp supplies, water, people, fuel and favorite libations you will hit the max load quicker than you realize.
Another trailer consideration for Off Roaders is trailer build quality. If you will be taking your new trailer through rough terrain be sure to review trailer build quality.
Happy Camping!
Rubicon with 3.6 and auto transmission has a 7k towing capacity. The people who say 6k are mistaken.

Labswine

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland, 2019 GC Ltd
Occupation
Retired
I have a stone stock Overland and tow a 27', 5,300 lb (loaded) trailer. No muss, no fuss. Manual shift the auto, keep RPMs 2,500 or less...around 2,000 RPMs in 7th at 65 mph...I get around 13 mpg with mine. Of course, this is east coast relatively flat towing, the occasional North Carolina. Will hit the Shenandoah Drive and Blue Ridge Parkway one of these years then we'll see what the fuel economy will be ;)

This is my rig...

Jeep Gladiator 2020 Rubicon auto... looking for a travel trailer, is 4,500ish lbs going to too much to reasoably tow or should I limit to a 3,500 lbs trailer? Front Yard Pic

Sponsored

brianinca

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
IT Manager
We're towing a double axle 22' trailer with a single slideout. 6000 lb loaded is our max, found out the 720 lb tongue weight is 20 lb over the spec. Oh, well.

Double axles is a big plus, I'd find the smallest on the dealer's lot and start from there. I've towed a lot of single and double cargo trailers, MUCH prefer double axles.

If you drive like you're towing, conservatively, at 60-62 MPH, you will have no problems.

Edit to add: You know how the dealer's service dept will overinflate your tires? Yeah, well, when I tow, I bump from 32 PSI to 42 PSI.

jeepers29

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JKUR, GC
Occupation
Domestic engineer
I just picked up our new RPOD 180 in Ohio. It weighs 3000 lbs.. Drove it home to Texas, 1100 miles. I will just say that I would not want to pull any more weight than that on long trips. We spend a lot of time in Colrado so weight was definately a consideration. The Mojave could pull more, but between mileage and comfort, I would look for the lightest camper that will fit your family.

OP
OP
cgm

cgm

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gobi Rubicon
Thanks everyone for the feedback. Let me try to reply in one post so i don't clutter the thread... this might work!

Happy Camping!
I figure the weight will add up quick. i love the idea of an overland type camper, but with my family... that is not in the cards for a while.

Can you wait it out for another year or two? This crazy inflated market can't keep lasting forever.... When I see small teardrops selling for 55K... I know its time to just go without for a while till it crashes and becomes reasonable again.
Trust me, the thought has crossed my mind. I also worry that the camper that i posted earlier is as entry level as they get. I am not convinced that it won't fall apart in 5 or so years, even with the right maintenance.

Rubicon with 3.6 and auto transmission has a 7k towing capacity. The people who say 6k are mistaken.
I'm not comfortable pushing it that far!

I have a stone stock Overland and tow a 27', 5,300 lb (loaded) trailer. No muss, no fuss. Manual shift the auto, keep RPMs 2,500 or less...around 2,000 RPMs in 7th at 65 mph...I get around 13 mpg with mine. Of course, this is east coast relatively flat towing, the occasional North Carolina. Will hit the Shenandoah Drive and Blue Ridge Parkway one of these years then we'll see what the fuel economy will be ;)

This is my rig...

Jeep Gladiator 2020 Rubicon auto... looking for a travel trailer, is 4,500ish lbs going to too much to reasoably tow or should I limit to a 3,500 lbs trailer? Front Yard Pic
sweet rig! We are in MA, so far, the camping has been only in new england, mostly nh and maine. I'd like to go for a longer trip next summer if we pull the trigger on a new camper.

We're towing a double axle 22' trailer with a single slideout. 6000 lb loaded is our max, found out the 720 lb tongue weight is 20 lb over the spec. Oh, well.

Double axles is a big plus, I'd find the smallest on the dealer's lot and start from there. I've towed a lot of single and double cargo trailers, MUCH prefer double axles.

If you drive like you're towing, conservatively, at 60-62 MPH, you will have no problems.

Edit to add: You know how the dealer's service dept will overinflate your tires? Yeah, well, when I tow, I bump from 32 PSI to 42 PSI.
interesting on the double axle thing. i figured the biggest benefit is that if a tire blows (this has happened to two of my friends) that there will be another tire so i could pull over safely. I guess it makes sense that the trailer's weight will be distribited over a larger area and will ride better.

I just picked up our new RPOD 180 in Ohio. It weighs 3000 lbs.. Drove it home to Texas, 1100 miles. I will just say that I would not want to pull any more weight than that on long trips. We spend a lot of time in Colrado so weight was definately a consideration. The Mojave could pull more, but between mileage and comfort, I would look for the lightest camper that will fit your family.
I am considering longer trips, I am assuming it will be easier to tow and way cheaper on gas.

WILDHOBO

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Network Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks everyone for the feedback. Let me try to reply in one post so i don't clutter the thread... this might work!

I figure the weight will add up quick. i love the idea of an overland type camper, but with my family... that is not in the cards for a while.

Trust me, the thought has crossed my mind. I also worry that the camper that i posted earlier is as entry level as they get. I am not convinced that it won't fall apart in 5 or so years, even with the right maintenance.

I'm not comfortable pushing it that far!

sweet rig! We are in MA, so far, the camping has been only in new england, mostly nh and maine. I'd like to go for a longer trip next summer if we pull the trigger on a new camper.

interesting on the double axle thing. i figured the biggest benefit is that if a tire blows (this has happened to two of my friends) that there will be another tire so i could pull over safely. I guess it makes sense that the trailer's weight will be distribited over a larger area and will ride better.

I am considering longer trips, I am assuming it will be easier to tow and way cheaper on gas.
I never meant you should push it to 7k. Just that that is the rating, not 6k. Having towed a lot with ours, I like 4500 max for any extended towing. Ours is 3300 maxed out, meaning fully loaded.

Reactions: cgm