2020 Rubicon Automatic Transmission issues

me_ccie

First Name
Markus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
I started having odd issues with shifting in my 2020 Rubicon 37k miles. At times it wouldn't engage to reverse. The shift from 3rd to 4th gear was very rough.
Naturally, I took it to the dealership (March 8th) to have the problem diagnosed since it wasn't giving any warning lights on the dash. In week two, I was told they must order a valve body. A week after, my SA called and told me they had another Gladiator with the same symptoms, and the valve body did nothing. They need to replace the transmission. My SA advised me to call Jeep Customer Care for a rental car since this will be covered under the power train warranty. I give a call, and they open a case for me and tell me I'll hear back in a couple of business days. I waited a few days and never heard back. I called about five times and finally spoke with the case manager on April 4th. She tells me I'll need to be reimbursed and sends me an email to forward her my rental agreement. The case manager says she'd check in on me on April 6th, no contact. This case manager is the WORST!

Here I am on week five without my car, still paying for a vehicle at the dealership and a rental car, not knowing if I'll be reimbursed.
I called today to escalate the case and was told it couldn't go any higher; when I said I'd likely not buy another FCA vehicle, the rep hung up on me.

This is the worst experience I've ever had regarding a vehicle repair. I've put in a Mediation Request to California's Consumer Mediation Services Program of the New Motor Vehicle Board, hoping it'll be lemon law'd. If I ever get the Jeep back, it's time to sell and never buy another FCA vehicle.

Does anyone know how I can escalate this issue? I PM'd @JeepCares, and no response.
Sponsored

Last edited:

BUZZHEAD

First Name
BOB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JEEP RUBICAN GLADIATOR ,2016 HD SLIMS
Occupation
WEED PULLER
I have a 2020 RUBI. AT 50,000 MILES NO TRANS. ISSUE.
Did you buy new or used ?
I would be in the dealers face if it was me.

OP
OP
me_ccie

me_ccie

First Name
Markus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
I have a 2020 RUBI. AT 50,000 MILES NO TRANS. ISSUE.
Did you buy new or used ?
I would be in the dealers face if it was me.
Purchased brand new Jan 2020. This ordeal is super frustrating.

Hootbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
Sorry to hear.

Rentals have never been a guaranteed thing. You have any email traffic backing up that they will reimburse you>

OP
OP
me_ccie

me_ccie

First Name
Markus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Sorry to hear.

Rentals have never been a guaranteed thing. You have any email traffic backing up that they will reimburse you>
I do.

"At your earliest convenience please attach your: rental agreement/invoice.

This information is needed to process reimbursement or simply for documentation purposes. "

Sponsored

ATL_Rubi

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Caretaker to various super cars
Occupation
Sales
I started having odd issues with shifting in my 2020 Rubicon 37k miles. At times it wouldn't engage to reverse. The shift from 3rd to 4th gear was very rough.
Naturally, I took it to the dealership (March 8th) to have the problem diagnosed since it wasn't giving any warning lights on the dash. In week two, I was told they must order a valve body. A week after, my SA called and told me they had another Gladiator with the same symptoms, and the valve body did nothing. They need to replace the transmission. My SA advised me to call Jeep Customer Care for a rental car since this will be covered under the power train warranty. I give a call, and they open a case for me and tell me I'll hear back in a couple of business days. I waited a few days and never heard back. I called about five times and finally spoke with the case manager on April 4th. She tells me I'll need to be reimbursed and sends me an email to forward her my rental agreement. The case manager says she'd check in on me on April 6th, no contact. This case manager is the WORST!

Here I am on week five without my car, still paying for a vehicle at the dealership and a rental car, not knowing if I'll be reimbursed.
I called today to escalate the case and was told it couldn't go any higher; when I said I'd likely not buy another FCA vehicle, the rep hung up on me.

This is the worst experience I've ever had regarding a vehicle repair. I've put in a Mediation Request to California's Consumer Mediation Services Program of the New Motor Vehicle Board, hoping it'll be lemon law'd. If I ever get the Jeep back, it's time to sell and never buy another FCA vehicle.

Does anyone know how I can escalate this issue? I PM'd @JeepCares, and no response.
Shit.... you're the 4-5th person here who has this issue and I fear I'm the 6th. Shifting from 3rd to 4th it sometimes jolts, and in 3rd, around 2k-4k, it slips and catches abruptly. 2023, bought new, 5800 miles, it's done it since 1,000ish.

OP
OP
me_ccie

me_ccie

First Name
Markus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Shit.... you're the 4-5th person here who has this issue and I fear I'm the 6th. Shifting from 3rd to 4th it sometimes jolts, and in 3rd, around 2k-4k, it slips and catches abruptly. 2023, bought new, 5800 miles, it's done it since 1,000ish.
Sounds similar. How is shifting to reverse? Does it immediately engage or are you experiencing a delay? If you're feeling a delay then it violently engages, you might see the same issue I had where it doesn't even engage in reverse, just a flashing R.

ATL_Rubi

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Caretaker to various super cars
Occupation
Sales
Sounds similar. How is shifting to reverse? Does it immediately engage or are you experiencing a delay? If you're feeling a delay then it violently engages, you might see the same issue I had where it doesn't even engage in reverse, just a flashing R.
It's never is enough of a delay to make me think "huh that was long" but it will clunk into R sometimes. I used to drive a DSG so I am used to putting the parking brake on to avoid any rolling and pressure on the transmission, it's odd. I have an appt Thursday now, I wish us all luck!

OP
OP
me_ccie

me_ccie

First Name
Markus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
It's never is enough of a delay to make me think "huh that was long" but it will clunk into R sometimes. I used to drive a DSG so I am used to putting the parking brake on to avoid any rolling and pressure on the transmission, it's odd. I have an appt Thursday now, I wish us all luck!
I didn't realize there was a delay until my SA told me. It did clunk to engage in reverse

Best wishes! If your does need to be repaired, I hope your wait isn't as long and your experience isn't as frustrating.

OP
OP
me_ccie

me_ccie

First Name
Markus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
After 6 weeks, I finally picked up my Gladiator. The new transmission is excellent. I didn't realize how bad the old one was. Shifting is smooth.

With many others having similar symptoms, I wonder if Jeep will issue a TSB or recall.

Sponsored

redriderjf87

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
saltmustflow.com
Vehicle(s)
'21 JT, '81 Z-28, '18 TW200, '72 CT 175
Occupation
Electrical Controls Engineer
I've had similar experiences with Jeep/FCA reps regarding the MT clutch safety recall. When you ask a tough question they say there's nobody else to talk to and hang up.
Unprofessional and unacceptable.

Being dependent on people like that and dealers turns me off to owning anything I can't work on myself.

Glad you got yours fixed at least.

zprovo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator BMW-R1150GS Toyota-FJ60 Porsche-914
Occupation
Architect
My 2022 Mojave with 17,000 miles has all the same symptoms. Dealer has it right now, they are going to replace the valve body. Unfortunately, the valve body is "on backorder with no ETA".

OP
OP
me_ccie

me_ccie

First Name
Markus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
My 2022 Mojave with 17,000 miles has all the same symptoms. Dealer has it right now, they are going to replace the valve body. Unfortunately, the valve body is "on backorder with no ETA".
They were looking at the valve body in my case as well. That order and test caused a few week delay. My advice is to convince them the valve body will do nothing.

Here's parts of my invoice:

Concern: CUSTOMER STATES TRANSMISSION DOES NOT ALWAYS
GO INTO REVERSE, THE "R" FLASHES. HAS TO PUT IN
PARK AND ATTEMPT AGAIN. ALSO SHIFTS HARSH INTO
REVERSE AND 3-4 UPSHIFT

Tech notes: NO DTC STORE AT PCM OR TCM BUT HAVE THE SOFTWARE UPDATE FOR TCM. Flashing TCM from current part
number 68437962AF to targeted part number 68437962AG. PERFORM TRANS QUICK LEARN, ROAD TEST NOTE
TRANS SHIFT THROUGH ALL GEARS BUT ONLY HARSH/BUMP SHIFT IN "R" FROM "P", CHECK FLUID IN LEVEL
AND DON'T SMELL BURN. REMOVED V/B AND PERFORM TRANS CLUTCH AIR PRESSURE TESTS, ALL OTHER
PORT HOLDING PRESSURE ONLY AT PORT "D" FAR END BACK OF THE TEST PLATE FAIL, IT DIDN'T HOLD
PRESSURE. RECOMMEND REPLACE TRANS ASSEMBLY UNIT FOR INTERNAL CLUTCH FAIL.

mrmo

First Name
Mrmo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator
Occupation
nuke
Is this the gas trans or the diesel trans....my diesel trans seems to be doing ok, it could be a little firmer to tell you the truth

OP
OP
me_ccie

me_ccie

First Name
Markus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Is this the gas trans or the diesel trans....my diesel trans seems to be doing ok, it could be a little firmer to tell you the truth
Gas
Sponsored