2021 .. Back up camera not functioning

AZCooWhip

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator
Went out for some errands today and all was well until I hopped back in to go home and back up camera screen was blacked out when put in reverse.

Any thoughts on this? It’s not the blue screen of death, but just blacked out as in pic.

Also, which fuse is the camera on? Fuse detail really doesn’t say that I can find.

CAB3F2EB-6DDD-4A1F-B76F-7106C41FF6C2.jpeg
Sponsored

am1978

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTRD, 2018 JLU Sahara
Occupation
Homebrewer
Turn off the engine. Park. Come back in 20mins.

Ferg

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Retired College Instructor
Vehicle Showcase
That is exactly what I was going to recommend. It worked almost every time I had a backup camera problem in my '20 JT.

OP
OP
AZCooWhip

AZCooWhip

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator
Did that. Had to make another trip. Roughly 30 minutes after I returned first time.

Just returned again ....Will let it sit overnight and what the morning brings.

It must not like 100 degree temps. :)

Sponsored

MPMB

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR - SG
Occupation
Check your inbox.
As suggested above ..... all is good now. Camera back to working.
Mine did that last week. I turned it off and on (all variations). Then I opened and closed the tailgate, but didn't test. Came back on. So I'm not sure if it's sitting and resetting, or a position of the tailgate. Or maybe a loose wire that needed to be jogged.

Evilmunky

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator 80th Anniversary
Occupation
Science
I read this thread earlier this week, and boom same thing happened to my 21 JT today. I'm going to let it sit for a couple hours and check again.

Evilmunky

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator 80th Anniversary
Occupation
Science
Update, pulled Fuse 97 and waited 10 seconds. Uconnect rebooted and problem is resolved. Quick fix but if this continues it's going to the dealership.

mazeppa

First Name
y= x/0
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR Panda
Occupation
knife sharpening snob
I've had this happen a couple of times.

First time I unmarried and removed my Tazer to the stock configuration, pulled fuse 97 for a few moments, ran some errands where I had some drive/park cycles, didn't start working again until the next day. I was getting ready to take the JT in for service, so when it started working again I knew Jeep service department couldn't fix or find what's not broke.

Second time I did nothing and it started working again the next day.

am1978

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTRD, 2018 JLU Sahara
Occupation
Homebrewer
The latest uConnect update fixes this faster—a shorter time between off and on.

Sponsored

CerOf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 JTRD
I searched YouTube and there is a video on how to reset the Uconnect system. If I remember correctly, with ignition on but engine not running, hold the big knobs on either side in for like 20 seconds then release.

for exact directions, google it. I’ll try to search again if I get a moment.

Sleighman

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys Gladiator
Occupation
Retired LEO
Vehicle Showcase
I had that happen once. After I removed the rear bumper to add the passenger side hook. Guess I disturb the wires that come down from the tailgate. I removed the access panel on tailgate and disconnected the wire and then reconnected it. That was over a month ago and it hasn't happened again. The connector could have been loosened from closing the tail gate also.

FoxForce4

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT HA
My backup cam went out yesterday. I cycled power several times, including after a 45 or so minute interval, and no joy. Today, I went outside and it came back on, so can confirm that, in at least some cases, it takes quite a bit of time for the thing to start working again.

Without being a total drama queen, I will simply state that, if this is caused by some sort of over-air ongoing update, killing safety equipment for the duration of the update is a completely unacceptable process flaw. Quite shocking, actually, from the standpoint of a company getting sued if heaven forbid some dope forgets how to back out with mirrors and smashes a pedestrian.

If there were some sort of warning, or perhaps message from the UConnect stating, "hey, hit this button when you're done for the day, we got some updating to do and things might get wonk for a few hours" at least drivers could be prepared for crippled feature functionality. It's reasonable to wonder, "if they shut off this equipment that I can see, what else isn't going to work properly for the next 12-24 hours, and will I be unlucky enough to find out?"
Sponsored