Sponsored

2021 Chicago Auto Show (Pics! Bronco, Grand Wagoneer, Frontier, JL, JT)

869 KPH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JTR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Hot Dog Vendor
Finally made it over to the auto show this morning. This was our first time seeing the full-size Bronco in person. I have lots of thoughts here, and a picture dump. I really wanted this year's trip to the show to be all about the Jeep I was going to order, but as we all know - July 14 turned out to be a flop. Seeing and playing with the (Grand) Wagoneer was pretty cool though!

Bronco Experience
The Bronco experience they set up for the show was pretty underwhelming. Ford has had so long to study Jeep's marketing to have missed the mark so bad here. We were in line for the test track within 30 minutes of the show opening, and we still had to wait in line for close to 90 minutes. They only had 4 Broncos running the loop, and it was painfully slow. They tried to engage you while you waited with signage and some marketing about Bronco heritage. It was neat, but not neat enough to justify the time waiting. There were plenty of subtle digs at Jeep that were probably missed by 90% of the crowd. Conversely, there are some genuinely cool things about the Bronco that I felt like they didn't brag about enough (removable quarter panels!). The whole rollout of the Bronco brand seems to have been poorly executed IMO, because their messaging about the Bronco Sport versus the Bronco was all over the map. They'd switch which they were talking about mid-spiel and I could tell people weren't following.

Bronco Test Track
Ok, so I was impatient by the time we got in to a Bronco, but honestly that feeling faded almost immediately. The lead up and waiting did Ford no favors, but the Bronco itself was pretty impressive. It felt like sitting in a piece of next-gen tech. The seating was fantastic, and the 360 camera and 4 corner cameras were incredible. I did not want to get out of this Bronco. Do I want one? No - it has lots of awkward angles and the hardtop was especially bulky and goofy looking. Cool, but not for me. The ride only made me realize how disappointing uConnect 4 is. Jeep should be so ahead of the game on the camera systems this thing had. Also - lead times are about 18 months right now.

Jeep Gladiator 2021 Chicago Auto Show (Pics! Bronco, Grand Wagoneer, Frontier, JL, JT) IMG_6718

Jeep Gladiator 2021 Chicago Auto Show (Pics! Bronco, Grand Wagoneer, Frontier, JL, JT) IMG_6721

Jeep Gladiator 2021 Chicago Auto Show (Pics! Bronco, Grand Wagoneer, Frontier, JL, JT) IMG_6724

Jeep Gladiator 2021 Chicago Auto Show (Pics! Bronco, Grand Wagoneer, Frontier, JL, JT) IMG_6728

Jeep Gladiator 2021 Chicago Auto Show (Pics! Bronco, Grand Wagoneer, Frontier, JL, JT) IMG_6737

Jeep Gladiator 2021 Chicago Auto Show (Pics! Bronco, Grand Wagoneer, Frontier, JL, JT) IMG_6750

My wife: "Why couldn't they make it look like that??" ... Well, they tried.

Jeep Gladiator 2021 Chicago Auto Show (Pics! Bronco, Grand Wagoneer, Frontier, JL, JT) IMG_6756

Look at all these cool accessories! Like ... Nalgenes!

Jeep Gladiator 2021 Chicago Auto Show (Pics! Bronco, Grand Wagoneer, Frontier, JL, JT) IMG_6757

Pit stop shenanigans. Lots of extra parts and things in those tents.

Jeep Gladiator 2021 Chicago Auto Show (Pics! Bronco, Grand Wagoneer, Frontier, JL, JT) IMG_6758

Incredible camera system. This is a split view of FL and FR tires.

Jeep Gladiator 2021 Chicago Auto Show (Pics! Bronco, Grand Wagoneer, Frontier, JL, JT) IMG_6760

Bird's eye view. Amazing.

Jeep Gladiator 2021 Chicago Auto Show (Pics! Bronco, Grand Wagoneer, Frontier, JL, JT) IMG_6761

Lots of data collection going on.

So that's it for Bronco. Overall very impressed and really want Jeep to catch up on the tech front. I was also pleased with the interior options - I'd like more plastic options in JL/JT than just black. Bring back saddle!

Up next, the new Nissan Frontier! I'm mostly excited about this because when I rent a beater truck for field work it's usually a Frontier. Looking forward to them getting nicer. They only had one at the show.
Jeep Gladiator 2021 Chicago Auto Show (Pics! Bronco, Grand Wagoneer, Frontier, JL, JT) IMG_6799

Jeep Gladiator 2021 Chicago Auto Show (Pics! Bronco, Grand Wagoneer, Frontier, JL, JT) IMG_6797

Jeep Gladiator 2021 Chicago Auto Show (Pics! Bronco, Grand Wagoneer, Frontier, JL, JT) IMG_6796

Jeep Gladiator 2021 Chicago Auto Show (Pics! Bronco, Grand Wagoneer, Frontier, JL, JT) IMG_6795

Still cheapy, but much much better!

OK, up next was the Grand Wagoneer. This thing has a friggin fridge in the center console. It was nuts. I honestly do not know if I have ever sat in a nicer vehicle. The build quality was super evident, too.
Jeep Gladiator 2021 Chicago Auto Show (Pics! Bronco, Grand Wagoneer, Frontier, JL, JT) IMG_6792

Jeep Gladiator 2021 Chicago Auto Show (Pics! Bronco, Grand Wagoneer, Frontier, JL, JT) IMG_6793

Jeep Gladiator 2021 Chicago Auto Show (Pics! Bronco, Grand Wagoneer, Frontier, JL, JT) IMG_6771

Jeep Gladiator 2021 Chicago Auto Show (Pics! Bronco, Grand Wagoneer, Frontier, JL, JT) IMG_6773

More screens than I could count in here.

Jeep Gladiator 2021 Chicago Auto Show (Pics! Bronco, Grand Wagoneer, Frontier, JL, JT) IMG_6775

Screens everywhere.

Jeep Gladiator 2021 Chicago Auto Show (Pics! Bronco, Grand Wagoneer, Frontier, JL, JT) IMG_6778

Jeep Gladiator 2021 Chicago Auto Show (Pics! Bronco, Grand Wagoneer, Frontier, JL, JT) IMG_6780

The fridge. It was so cold!!

Ok, that's it for the GW. On to the JL/JTs!

Jeep JL/JT
The test track looked the same as always - but note they had like an order of magnitude more vehicles on the track than Ford had Broncos. Jeep's whole show setup made Ford look like amateurs. However, the Jeeps on display were a little underwhelming. I did notice that they didn't have any with tan leather, probably because of the blue jeans staining problem I saw at the show in 2019. Again, after sitting in the Bronco, the JL/JT interior does feel a little bit dated. They have got to up their game.

Nothing crazy to see or report. Extreme Recon was on hand, but honestly I had to ask a rep to make sure I was looking at it. Kinda just looks like a nice Jeep in person.
Jeep Gladiator 2021 Chicago Auto Show (Pics! Bronco, Grand Wagoneer, Frontier, JL, JT) IMG_6767

Jeep Gladiator 2021 Chicago Auto Show (Pics! Bronco, Grand Wagoneer, Frontier, JL, JT) IMG_6768

Coolest thing to see was the Orange Peelz concept.
Jeep Gladiator 2021 Chicago Auto Show (Pics! Bronco, Grand Wagoneer, Frontier, JL, JT) IMG_6788

Jeep Gladiator 2021 Chicago Auto Show (Pics! Bronco, Grand Wagoneer, Frontier, JL, JT) IMG_6789

So anyways, there you have it! Pretty bummed there wasn't more to report on MY 2022, but I'm hoping that since it hasn't quietly released yet there will be some significant (fun?) changes or options. In a somewhat related thought, the Toyota Tundra display was desolate! It was all 2021s and nobody cares because the 2022 has already been shown off.
Sponsored

lrtexasman

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tahoe
Did you sit in the back of the Frontier? If so, how did it compare to the JT?

Munkey Boy

First Name
matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda CX-3, '79 CJ5, '21 JT Sport S manual.
Occupation
Camp Maintenance
I have to say this about the Wagoneer, that font is absolutely gorgeous. Yeah, I know there's an entire vehicle behind those simple letters perfectly spaced apart, but damn they nailed that detail right.

sunrise089

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Higher Ed
Great post/report! Two comments and a question:

*I'm sure you're right that in-person the Bronco tech is cool and advanced, but that interior looks to have a lot of hard plastic and a lot of big plastic transition areas and bezels. The Jeeps look better in that area to my eyes.

*Extreme Recon is cool and I'd have purchased it if it was available on Gladiator. But in terms of it not standing out, I think it's a victim of Jeep's own success. By percentages being lifted and on 35s probably puts a Jeep in reasonably select company, but at the same time one can see a more 'extreme' Jeep in the real world pretty much daily if one is looking. That's different versus something like, for instance, a GT500 Mustang where more capable customer modified Mustang GT's aren't so prevalent or identifiable.

*Question: Did they also have a vanilla Wagoneer? I've been intrigued by the very Germanesque decision to bifurcate the lineup primarily by engine specs. In person did the Grant Wagoneer look especially more 'grand' than the lesser version? And, did it manage to do so while the Wagoneer itself still managed to look upmarket?

Oilburner

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1982 Scrambler, 1969 Wagoneer, 2022 JTR Ecodiesel
Seems when you add a winch to the front of a Bronco it ruins the approach angle.

Sponsored

OP
OP
869 KPH

869 KPH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JTR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Hot Dog Vendor
Did you sit in the back of the Frontier? If so, how did it compare to the JT?
It was not great. The truck really is about the same interior size as the outgoing model. On a related note, wife agrees the JT's rear seat was more comfortable than the Bronco's.

*I'm sure you're right that in-person the Bronco tech is cool and advanced, but that interior looks to have a lot of hard plastic and a lot of big plastic transition areas and bezels. The Jeeps look better in that area to my eyes.
Yeah, I agree - the hard plastics and fit and finish weren't as great as they could be, but better than I would have expected. I did sit in the cactus gray one for a while and push/pull/squeeze on the dash and interior bits to get a feel for it. I feel like the tech was the best part, and they just designed a dash around it. I have often stared at the JL/JT dash and tried to figure out how they could integrate a screen that big. Perhaps we'll see!

*Question: Did they also have a vanilla Wagoneer? I've been intrigued by the very Germanesque decision to bifurcate the lineup primarily by engine specs. In person did the Grant Wagoneer look especially more 'grand' than the lesser version? And, did it manage to do so while the Wagoneer itself still managed to look upmarket?
They had both, but it wasn't immediately apparent. The Grand does look much better - but think along the lines of a mild trim facelift. It also had a more upscale interior. To me, I think the Grand justifies its price point, while the 'lesser' version just teased at what might be. Just my initial impression. If Ford has a Bronco v. Bronco Sport marketing and perception problem, I think Jeep will definitely have a similar problem for the (Grand) Wagoneer.

OP
OP
869 KPH

869 KPH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JTR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Hot Dog Vendor
Seems when you add a winch to the front of a Bronco it ruins the approach angle.
Yeah none of the test vehicles were kitted out too much. The hardtop looks goofy as hell in person, but is super functional.

FrankFrqnkFrank

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys Gladiator
I sat in the back seat of a 4-door softtop Bronco on the outside ride. The top was pulled open over the seats. I’m old and down to 6’1” if I stand straight (which doesn’t happen). And yet my head hit the top…

Last edited:
OP
OP
869 KPH

869 KPH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JTR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Hot Dog Vendor
I sat in the back seat of a 4-door softtop Bronco on the outside ride. The top was pulled open over the seats. I’m old and down to 6’1” if I stand straight (which doesn’t happen). And yet my head fit the top…
You mean hit? That sucks. Yeah, the Bronco was compelling but did miss the mark in a few areas. The more I think about it, it's like how I always liked the JK, but acknowledged it had some awkwardness to it. The JL/JT fixed most of that, IMO. So if the Bronco was in a class alone it would be amazing, it's just too bad for them they're competing with a brand with 80 years of experience in the game.

Also, hi NW IN :fist bump:.

Sponsored

FrankFrqnkFrank

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys Gladiator
You mean hit? That sucks. Yeah, the Bronco was compelling but did miss the mark in a few areas. The more I think about it, it's like how I always liked the JK, but acknowledged it had some awkwardness to it. The JL/JT fixed most of that, IMO. So if the Bronco was in a class alone it would be amazing, it's just too bad for them they're competing with a brand with 80 years of experience in the game.

Also, hi NW IN :fist bump:.
yes hit, thank you. I edited the post

LOTSA Gladiators in NW IN!!