Sponsored

2021 Diesel Rubicon is in shop metal in fuel

mbrown2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Current-JT Rubi Diesel,Past-Jeep JL Rubi, Ram 1500
So its almost been a month that my Rubi has been in the shop. Was pulling out of garage a month ago and it was idling rough....never experienced similar behavior before that day.

Turned off and turned on and then it would not turn over...just a rough turnover but would not start.

Initially I was thinking did I screw up with fuel but I was positive that was not the case....I know exactly where it was filled and the pump.

Couple of days later they said there was metal found in the fuel ....I was like before the fuel filter or after? If before the filter why did it pass the filter and hurt something else...if it was behind the filter what else detonated... Anyway their response was not clear on where it came from; they thought it might be the gas station...they said its under warranty. But now they are saying need to replace fuel rail and injectors... These parts are on backordered...and they are giving no ETA on when they will come... Unfortunately really losing patience on this one....

This truck has 10K miles on it...

Anyone had issues with bad fuel? Talking to my brother and one his mechanics was telling him they are seeing more and more of this in regular fuel and diesel.
Sponsored

Free2roam

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Occupation
Fabricator by trade/ Maintenance Mechanic
Fuel pump catastrophically failed? Same happened to mine. Except I was driving down the street and it crapped out. Rough idle, then wouldn't restart. 45 days in shop. Complete new fuel system. From injectors all the way to fuel tank.

Sponsored

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
So its almost been a month that my Rubi has been in the shop. Was pulling out of garage a month ago and it was idling rough....never experienced similar behavior before that day.

Turned off and turned on and then it would not turn over...just a rough turnover but would not start.

Initially I was thinking did I screw up with fuel but I was positive that was not the case....I know exactly where it was filled and the pump.

Couple of days later they said there was metal found in the fuel ....I was like before the fuel filter or after? If before the filter why did it pass the filter and hurt something else...if it was behind the filter what else detonated... Anyway their response was not clear on where it came from; they thought it might be the gas station...they said its under warranty. But now they are saying need to replace fuel rail and injectors... These parts are on backordered...and they are giving no ETA on when they will come... Unfortunately really losing patience on this one....

This truck has 10K miles on it...

Anyone had issues with bad fuel? Talking to my brother and one his mechanics was telling him they are seeing more and more of this in regular fuel and diesel.
If they are covering it under warranty, without any hassle, that is a telling sign. If it was from the fuel, it would be affecting a lot of people and you would likely have heard about it. The fuel filter is supposed to keep particles out of the system, if it is working properly.

Gecko4

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator sport s
Occupation
Sales
The number one contaminant that takes out the CP4 pump isā€¦..
AIR

Savage1

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Occupation
Superintendent
This canā€™t be the same cp4 pump that was on LML Duramaxā€™s is it?

Just google ā€œduramax cp4ā€
There were lots of problems

22EcoDs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22jtsD , 06XK, 21KL - Retired(97ZJ,15JKU, 00WJ,)
The number one contaminant that takes out the CP4 pump isā€¦..
AIR
Is there a purging procedure other than priming it after the filter is replaced ?

Sponsored

OP
OP

mbrown2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fuel pump catastrophically failed? Same happened to mine. Except I was driving down the street and it crapped out. Rough idle, then wouldn't restart. 45 days in shop. Complete new fuel system. From injectors all the way to fuel tank.
That is exactly how mine seems to have occurred...

OP
OP

mbrown2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So you don't know what "metal in the fuel" means, given feedback from the servicing dealer?
Not sure the question....I know exactly what metal in the fuel means...but it either comes from fuel you put in or something that detonates in the system. I will have to read up on this CP4 issue....had not heard of it.

Chuck

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JT, 2020 Ram 2500, 2013 JKU
Occupation
Facilities Maintenance
We have a ā€˜20 Ram truck that has a ā€œrecallā€ on the cp4 fuel pump. The recall states they will contact us once a solution has been made. Makes me feel warm and fuzzy!
Guys on the Ram forum have changed over to the cp3 pump kit without issues but I donā€™t want to lose my warranty.
Iā€™m sure this is your issue as well and hopefully, theyā€™ll get this crappy pump off the market soon

Rusty PW

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTRD, '11 370Z Nismo, '07 Honda VFR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Muff Diver

Savage1

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Occupation
Superintendent
We have a ā€˜20 Ram truck that has a ā€œrecallā€ on the cp4 fuel pump. The recall states they will contact us once a solution has been made. Makes me feel warm and fuzzy!
Guys on the Ram forum have changed over to the cp3 pump kit without issues but I donā€™t want to lose my warranty.
Iā€™m sure this is your issue as well and hopefully, theyā€™ll get this crappy pump off the market soon
I had a 3/4 ton GMC with a Duramax in it with the CP4. It was out out warranty so I had mine swapped out when I had it tuned and deleted. Iā€™d heard it was like $12-14k if the CP4 grenaded. Couldnā€™t stand worrying about it. The problem may have been more prevalent due to the bigger engine. A lift pump was always suggested as well if you didnā€™t swap it.
Sponsored

Last edited: