2021 Ecodiesel Transmission Issues

Benharris

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport S
I bought a '21 Sport S Ecodiesel a few weeks ago and love it, just turned over 1,000 miles. It's been awesome, I love the diesel and the transmission has been shifting great. Until yesterday. I was accelerating and the trans made a loud clunk noise and wouldn't shift into 4th. It kept trying, it would make the clunk noise and then the engine would rev. Top speed was in the upper 30's mph. A "Service Transmission" message showed on the cluster, and CEL came on. I tried turning the truck off and back on several times, it did the same thing every time. Wouldn't go past about 3rd gear ( I'm pretty sure, but it could be 4th), and wouldn't go any faster.

I tried shifting in Manual mode at this point, and it wouldn't go into manual mode. The shifter would be in the "M" position, but the light on the cluster would flash "M1" and shifting up or down did nothing. I eventually tried stopping the engine, starting again and starting out with Manual mode, which worked. But every time it would shift from 3rd to 4th, the engine would rev during the shift and it felt like a hard catch when it caught the gear.

Has anyone had anything like this? Or any ideas? I of course have a service appointment set up, it's just frustrating that I plunked down all that cash and it's having issues.
Sponsored

jeepin48

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Overland 3.0L
Occupation
Engineer
Sounds like it is something physical but you might start by disconnecting the battery for 1hr. Just in case it is something electrical.

OP
OP

Benharris

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport S
For those who are interested, Jeep volunteered to replace the transmission after a week of testing and what they call "Digital Imaging". I'm slightly unhappy that it will turn into almost 3 weeks of repair time, but am glad they provide a free loaner car and I"m not being charged for any of the work. Has anyone else had Jeep replace their transmission under warranty?

hawk14414

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Billet silver JTR 6 speed
For those who are interested, Jeep volunteered to replace the transmission after a week of testing and what they call "Digital Imaging". I'm slightly unhappy that it will turn into almost 3 weeks of repair time, but am glad they provide a free loaner car and I"m not being charged for any of the work. Has anyone else had Jeep replace their transmission under warranty?
My manual transmission failed at 300 miles - would not hold 4th gear, kept popping out. Jeep replaced it with a brand new unit, and its been fine for 15k miles. Total repair time was a week. At the time I was not a happy camper, and told Jeep so. As a result, they extended my warranty, no charge. Get @JeepCares involved - they were super helpful for me.

OP
OP

Benharris

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport S
My manual transmission failed at 300 miles - would not hold 4th gear, kept popping out. Jeep replaced it with a brand new unit, and its been fine for 15k miles. Total repair time was a week. At the time I was not a happy camper, and told Jeep so. As a result, they extended my warranty, no charge. Get @JeepCares involved - they were super helpful for me.
What department specifically did you talk to say you weren't happy? I'm at almost 3 weeks now and they still don't even have the new tranny in yet, this is not very fun.

Sponsored

hawk14414

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Billet silver JTR 6 speed
What department specifically did you talk to say you weren't happy? I'm at almost 3 weeks now and they still don't even have the new tranny in yet, this is not very fun.
I engaged @JeepCares, and they worked with my dealer to expedite the replacement tranny, as well as extending my warranty. They were fabulous to deal with. Send them a PM or just wait - often they will chime in on the forum when mentioned.

JeepCares

First Name
JeepCares
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Family
Occupation
Customer Care
I engaged @JeepCares, and they worked with my dealer to expedite the replacement tranny, as well as extending my warranty. They were fabulous to deal with. Send them a PM or just wait - often they will chime in on the forum when mentioned.

Thanks @hawk14414 for connecting us with our friend! As the JeepCares team, we like to monitor various social media sites to identify trends in customer needs and directly engage with all of you in an effort to create a more positive Jeep Brand experience while working alongside your dealers.

@Benharris , I'm super sorry to hear about the delay you've been experiencing. Would you mind sending us a private message with your current mileage & VIN so we can look into this further for you?

Courtney
Jeep Cares

kooltoys

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JTD, 90 300zx TT, 07 Nightrain, MB 3.0L Diesel
Occupation
AV Design/Programming
Wow very impressed! this is customer service. @Benharris hope things work out for the best

Sponsored

OP
OP

Benharris

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport S
They did replace the transmission and I had the loaner for close to a month at no cost. I've driven it over 5000 miles now and it's been flawless, I love it. Jeep gave me several options, including an extended warranty or making a months payment. I chose the extended warranty, I believe it's 7yr/100,000 mi, and it covers diesel exhaust. It appears the warranty is worth around $2500 sticker price, so I'm happy.

Jeepmk01

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 gladiator
I am dealing with the same problem have jeep care helping now it started off with them trying to reprogram the computer then they orders the trans valve body now they are getting me a new trans have been trying to be patient but this has been almost two months of dealing with this becouse of waiting for parts really hard to stay with jeep after all of this hope this is the last time I have to deal with the problem of hard shifting from 3rd to 4th gear
Sponsored