Sponsored

2021 JLURD comes with 4.10 axle ratio but JT doesn't?!?

reverse01134

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
I just learned 2021 JLU Rubicon configurations come with 4.10 gears including the Ecodiesel.
I checked the Jeep website again, 2021 JT Diesel still doesn't give an option to select 4.10 gears.
My guess is 4.10 will be added in the next model year change (2022)
But I need a new vehicle by January (when my current lease ends)
If I buy 2021 JT diesel with 3.73, I know I'm gonna be jealous when 2022 models launch :headbang:
Why FCA, why
Sponsored

Oilburner

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1982 Scrambler, 1969 Wagoneer, 2022 JTR Ecodiesel
It is a typo on the builder. No 4.10 for Jeep diesel, anywhere.

BrightWhiteGladiator

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Marketing - Planning & Research
I just learned 2021 JLU Rubicon configurations come with 4.10 gears including the Ecodiesel.
I checked the Jeep website again, 2021 JT Diesel still doesn't give an option to select 4.10 gears.
My guess is 4.10 will be added in the next model year change (2022)
But I need a new vehicle by January (when my current lease ends)
If I buy 2021 JT diesel with 3.73, I know I'm gonna be jealous when 2022 models launch :headbang:
Why FCA, why
FOMO will have you being unsatisfied the rest of your life, bromosapien

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
Why the hell people want 4.10 axle gear with a diesel engine I will never understand.

You've got to stop thinking 1992 3-speed trans mated to a 195 horse gas engine. Times have changed. Deep axle gears are a detriment, not an aid these days.

Sponsored

TheSolarWizard

First Name
Memphis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
3.0 JT
Occupation
Solar & EV infrastructure
Why the hell people want 4.10 axle gear with a diesel engine I will never understand.

You've got to stop thinking 1992 3-speed trans mated to a 195 horse gas engine. Times have changed. Deep axle gears are a detriment, not an aid these days.
most people wanting to wheel or tow on 37s wouldn’t need to touch the difs, giving at least the diesel rubicon a “ready for 37s” title no other vehicle has

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
most people wanting to wheel or tow on 37s wouldn’t need to touch the difs, giving at least the diesel rubicon a “ready for 37s” title no other vehicle has
Right, but FCA is building these for the masses, not the tiny percentage of guys who do extreme mods and extreme trails. I can't see any reason to expect them to over-gear a diesel engine for mass production. I was actually shocked that they didn't do 3.45s from the factory like the JL uses. That would have been the sweet spot.

TheSolarWizard

First Name
Memphis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
3.0 JT
Occupation
Right, but FCA is building these for the masses, not the tiny percentage of guys who do extreme mods and extreme trails. I can't see any reason to expect them to over-gear a diesel engine for mass production. I was actually shocked that they didn't do 3.45s from the factory like the JL uses. That would have been the sweet spot.
I think they would have considered that if mpg was the only priority had it not required a different carrier thats not built in the wide track axles all JTs come with and the rubicon locker doesn’t worth with that carrier either. Also a Jeep is far less aerodynamic than a Ram so it’s likely a higher gear yields better mpg results in terms of mpg than the ram gets.

as far as tiny percentages, I’d wager that a much higher percentage of JTs get a lift and/or bigger tires than JLs do, mostly because the larger body on the JT makes smallish tires look disproportionate

the dealer I ordered from upfits far more JTs with the mopar lift prior to sale than JLs

OP
OP

reverse01134

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
This. I think 37s look perfect on JT.

So which of the two works better on 37s with stock gears - gas rubicon (4.10) or diesel (3.73)? I've hearing from gas rubicon owners running 37s that they lost 8th gear. Will diesel have the same issue?

TheSolarWizard

First Name
Memphis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
3.0 JT
Occupation

So which of the two works better on 37s with stock gears - gas rubicon (4.10) or diesel (3.73)? I've hearing from gas rubicon owners running 37s that they lost 8th gear. Will diesel have the same issue?
definitely the diesel and no 8th gear still happens with the diesel

Last edited:

Sponsored

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation

You're talking 70% more torque at a peak that's 2,500 RPM sooner. It's a totally different ballgame and what is best for gas is NOT what is best for diesel.

OP
OP

reverse01134

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Alright then diesel it is.
Completely another subject but I'm just hoping the new 3rd gen ecoDiesel has less concern on DPF/EGR...

brianinca

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
IT Manager
Geeze you mean like a Power Wagon or the ancient H2 with 4.10's? They're fine on 37's, don't get all het up about it.

TheSolarWizard

First Name
Memphis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
3.0 JT
Occupation
Geeze you mean like a Power Wagon or the ancient H2 with 4.10's? They're fine on 37's, don't get all het up about it.
im not upset at all My budget allows for correction of anything. Doesn’t negate my statement at all though
The h2 needed every bit of that gearing for the 34s it came with
Sponsored