First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT Sport S
I know this issue has been discussed a million times...but I need some help here.

I did a bunch of research and found out it could be the damper, track bar, and/or the steering box. I know this has been less of a problem on the 2021 versus the 2020 JTs...but here's what I researched.

I checked my JT and I have:
  • Damper seems to be the most current: 68251580AE
  • Track bar seems to be the most current: 68496317AA
  • Steering box IS the steel one, but I noticed there is a newer part even for my 2021.
So I'm wondering, does anyone know the differences between the 68507576AA and the 68507576AB steering box and if those JTs out there WITHOUT wander have the AA or the AB?

I'm attempted to contact my dealership, but I want to get fully educated. I mean they made a second generation steel steering box (new part#) for a reason right?

Otherwise, can anyone else offer help as to why I still have the wander in my wheel and have to make constant corrections?

Oh and I'm not considering any aftermarket stuff now. I want to go OEM.

Thanks for the help in advance!
Sponsored

SteveA

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
xxxx
Occupation
Unemployed
Just picked up my '21 Eco Rubi A/T a few weeks ago (special ordered) and it wonders as well. Not an issue on city streets but it is at fwy speeds. This is the price of admission for a straight axle.

JMJ52876

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Gladiator
Occupation
Medical Biller/Collection
Just had mine at the dealership for a different issue and they found my clock spring in my steering column was "bad". They replaced it under warranty. Damn if that didn't fix my wandering. I had the TSB done a week after I bought it. Can't explain it, but they noticed it when test driving it and knew what it was.

OP
OP
mmatthie

mmatthie

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT Sport S
Just had mine at the dealership for a different issue and they found my clock spring in my steering column was "bad". They replaced it under warranty. Damn if that didn't fix my wandering. I had the TSB done a week after I bought it. Can't explain it, but they noticed it when test driving it and knew what it was.
So that fixed it???

Sponsored

JeepCares

First Name
JeepCares
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Family
Occupation
Customer Care
Just picked up my '21 Eco Rubi A/T a few weeks ago (special ordered) and it wonders as well. Not an issue on city streets but it is at fwy speeds. This is the price of admission for a straight axle.
Good morning, SteveA. We recommend visiting your dealer as soon as you can to have this concern addressed. If you would like assistance while there, please send us a private message.

Kate
Jeep Cares

So that fixed it???
Hey, mmatthie. To start, our team is not comprised of trained technicians so I cannot speak to the difference in the part numbers you mentioned in a previous post, I do apologize. What I can do is assign someone to work with you and the dealer if you decide to proceed with any repairs. We're in private message if you'd like to chat further.

Kate
Jeep Cares

SteveA

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
xxxx
Occupation
Unemployed
Kate, I do have an appointment this Wed. Thank You, Steve

Bacon

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR-LE
This is the price of admission for a straight axle.
I've had two JKs before this JT and they didn't wander like this thing does (even after the TSB).

It just gets pushed around on the highway when there's any wind at all.

SteveA

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
xxxx
Occupation
Unemployed
I've had two JKs before this JT and they didn't wander like this thing does (even after the TSB).

It just gets pushed around on the highway when there's any wind at all.
My CJ7 and 08 Rubicon Limited both did. I was really hoping this new one with stock tires and suspension wouldn't. Have an appointment with the dealer Wed to check it out. Their service dept is very good and believe will shoot straight. They also have a few other's on the lot I'll take for a quick comparison drive. I'll post up what we find.

JMJ52876

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Gladiator
Occupation
So that fixed it???
I have to say it fixed mine. Steering is tight now. I can drive with one finger on the wheel and it drives straight. No other mods, straight stock.

Sponsored

mountainpass

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT Sport w/ Max Tow
I have to say it fixed mine. Steering is tight now. I can drive with one finger on the wheel and it drives straight. No other mods, straight stock.
What exactly does the printout say was performed? My 2021 wanders as well.

JMJ52876

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Gladiator
Occupation
What exactly does the printout say was performed? My 2021 wanders as well.
Well I would look, but mine is back at the dealership. The paperwork is in the glovebox lol. They said they replaced the clock spring mechanism.
Honestly I may be having to do this all over again. Just spoke to Jeep Cares about a buy back. Been in the shop several times, this time for electrical gremlins they can't seem to find. If they agree, then I'll have to order another.

amh181

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Gladiator Mojave
Thatā€™s interesting...Iā€™ve been assuming this is just par for the course and a Jeep thing. Iā€™ve been looking at after market steering stabilizers or anything else to tighten up the steering but now Iā€™m not sure that the wandering is ā€œnormalā€ šŸ¤”
Sponsored