2022 gladiator sport tailgate lock

Narosian

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Sport
Just got a new 2022 gladiator sport last weekend. A base model with manual locks. The tailgate was locked when I first brought it home and used my key to unlock it and it wouldn’t lock, I thought there was a piece missing after looking inside the tailgate there, but the dealer says that it’s not supposed have a lock which makes zero sense why you would have a truck with tailgate and make it so it can’t be locked.

8005DB19-A3D8-4BCE-A60E-D643B8527A54.jpeg
Sponsored

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Gladiator High Altitude - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
Is the locking mechanism floating around inside the tailgate?

OP
OP

Narosian

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Sport
Didn’t see anything.

slowstang305

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator
Yes they are supposed to lock. I have a 2021 and it locks ( manual everything ). Would not make any sense for it not to lock. Dealerships are terrible. Take it back in and have it repaired.

Sponsored

slowstang305

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator
Look to the right of this photo, you are missing the piece.
Jeep Gladiator 2022 gladiator sport tailgate lock Screenshot 2023-02-17 at 7.28.31 PM

OP
OP

Narosian

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Sport
Thanks, will try complaining again tomorrow.

KQL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Looking for gladiator
Another 2022 base sport here, built last winter, tailgate locks with the key.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Lock? Key? How quaint.

Rahkmalla

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Gobi Manual Mojave
Build Thread
Link
the dealer says that it’s not supposed have a lock
This shouldn't surprise me, because i'd worked for them long enough, but it still amazes what dealership employees will say without any research or knowledge just to have to avoid doing something! This is a warranty claim and they still want to pass the buck. They get paid to fix this!

You'd think part of employee training for a dealership includes the phrase "always appear know what you're talking about, especially when you don't! And if it's ever discovered you're wrong, double down!"

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
I had to check to make sure you weren't from Central Iowa - where a tech said that my voltage issue was because the winch was draining the batteries. Yeah, so what's that big red freakin' RED switch that says "OFF" sitting right next to the batteries?
And how does moving the ground cable from the top of the IBS over to the fender ground stud like you moved it to fix this issue?
Yeah, the service writer said "he fixed it for you" - moved the ground cable from one ground to another ground and both are connected together by the same factory cable.
I fixed it myself - charged each battery independently, reset the IBS and all was better after.

Didn't they even walk out to the lot to see what another manual lock JT looked like?
At least sometimes they'll take a short walk to verify - sometimes.
I got them to believe my 2020's sagging tonneau issue by sending them pictures that forum members had posted for me of covers with no sag, and contacting JeepCares. That sort of forced the dealer's hand a bit - well, not at first, then another guy in the shop walked by and said "oh, yeah, I've heard of this, they've got a team dedicated to these issues, and yeah, that looks like a problem". The service advisor was not happy he was being contradicted by other staff, right in front of me.

OP
OP

Narosian

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Sport
Got it fixed. Ended up contacting jeep wave who looked up my vin and confirmed it was supposed to lock and suggested I just not bother with that dealer and go to another dealer to get it fixed.

IanNubbit

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JL 2 Door Sport 6MT & 2022 JT 6MT Sport
Occupation
Mopar Dealer Tech
Just got a new 2022 gladiator sport last weekend. A base model with manual locks. The tailgate was locked when I first brought it home and used my key to unlock it and it wouldn’t lock, I thought there was a piece missing after looking inside the tailgate there, but the dealer says that it’s not supposed have a lock which makes zero sense why you would have a truck with tailgate and make it so it can’t be locked.

Jeep Gladiator 2022 gladiator sport tailgate lock Screenshot 2023-02-17 at 7.28.31 PM
Theres a TSB/Recall I forget what name, but its for this exact issue. Go to a new dealer

SargeDiesel

First Name
michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon Diesel
Occupation
Retired Military
There is a current safety campaign for the tailgate lock.

I just received it.
Jeep Gladiator 2022 gladiator sport tailgate lock Screenshot_20230427_114529_My Jee
Sponsored