2022 Sting Gray Gladiator Sport Build

kyoung05

First Name
Kyoung
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator Sport, 2005 STI, 2020 M340i
Hey everyone, starting this thread to document my Gladiator build. I posted a First Impressions thread in the General Gladiator Topics Forum, but this is my very first Jeep, and my first truck.

I loved the idea of having a "blank canvas," and also getting a good deal. So, I bought my very bare bones 2022 Gladiator Sport in Sting Gray off the dealer lot just over a month ago and have racked up 1,100 miles since then. My truck has no options except the trac–Lok Anti–Spin Rear Differential.

I've started the journey to add and swap things out to make it more of what I want. The thing is, I have no idea what that is just yet. This is both awesome, and scary.

I've owned many cars over the years that had very involved enthusiast communities (Hondas, Subaru's, BMW's, Charger Scat Pack, etc.) so I'm no stranger to the aftermarket. However, things feel a bit different with the Jeep. I think a lot of it is that with those other cars, the goal was generally "increased performance," which meant more power, more grip, more brakes (and for some, less weight). There are many ways to get there, and varying degrees of "doneness" - usually dictated by some combination of practicality, sanity and finances - but the goals were usually pretty similar.

While increasing performance definitely seems like what a lot of folks in the Jeep community are striving for, what "performance" means for a Jeep is so different from what I'm used to. So, I'm struggling a bit to figure out what this ultimately means for me, but I'm excited about figuring it out as I go along.

Before even getting the truck, I had done some research, and decided that I definitely wanted better/bigger tires - and probably better looking wheels, in addition to a level or slight lift. I had never gone off-roading before, so I didn't want to over index on making it the best at that, at the sake of everything else.

And with that, here's how things started. Here's how she sat right off the dealer lot:

Jeep Gladiator 2022 Sting Gray Gladiator Sport Build Stock

Because my truck didn't come with a bedliner, and I knew I wanted to be able to use it for truck things without worrying about damage, I got a set of Weathertech bed and tailgate mats and Mopar all weather mats for the interior. The Mopar mats are great - perfect fit, and I love that they have a little drain plug. The Weathertech mats seem ok - fit wasn't as good as I had hoped initially - but it's been cold so I'm hoping that as the weather eventually warms up, they'll "mold" themselves a bit snugger. Overall, pretty happy to have things "protected."

Jeep Gladiator 2022 Sting Gray Gladiator Sport Build Mats

After a few days (and many weeks of looking at other builds on this Forum), the stock Sport wheels and tires really started to get to me. They kind of sapped all of the "Jeep-ness" out of the truck, so I knew I would be looking to start there. I ultimately want a set of forged bronze wheels w/ 33" tires. However, I found a set of essentially new Mojave takeoffs from another forum member for a great price and couldn't pass it up. So, here she is hauling the wheels/tires back home, doing it's first "truck" thing. Kind of ironic that most of the "truck" stuff I've done has been for the sake of modifying it.

Jeep Gladiator 2022 Sting Gray Gladiator Sport Build Mojave Wheels 2

My wife and 4yr old son were having some trouble climbing into the cabin, so I knew I wanted to get a set of running boards or nerf bars. I did some research, decided on a set of N-Fab Nerf Bars, and planned to order them through my local Napa Auto along with the Weathertech mats. Despite the Napa website showing they carried them, turns out they weren't available in-store, and the guys there recommended some Westin HDX Drop Nerf Steps instead. I figured going with their recommendation helped the guys behind the counter out, so I pulled the trigger. I had my local shop install the Mojave wheels and nerf bars at the same time. Overall, I think it made a huge difference in the way it looks. Just way more aggressive badass. I still want a level kit or slight lift, but for now, I am pretty pleased with the way she sits.

Jeep Gladiator 2022 Sting Gray Gladiator Sport Build Wheels & Nerf Bars

Sting Gray wasn't my first choice in color. I loved the way my Go Mango Charger looked, and if that were an option for the Gladiator, I definitely would've ordered it that way and waited. Otherwise, I wanted something a bit brighter like Hydro Blue or High Velocity Yellow. Unfortunately, I would've had to order one in those colors and I was too impatient to wait. So, I figured if I had to have a mostly gray car, I could still add pops of colors with decals. I placed an order for some "Sting Gray" decals in a shade of orange that looks similar to Go Mango, and am waiting for them to come in. Not sure how heavy I want to go on the decals - quite frankly, I've never placed a sticker on any of my cars, ever - so we'll see how it goes.

Next, I wanted to get the windows tinted. I usually opt for ceramic tint if it's available since I like the heat reduction it provides. A local shop had some availability last week, and they used Johnson ceramic film. I went with 20% in the front, 5% in the rear. I thought the fronts would be a bit lighter than they are, but overall, I think it looks really good. I wish there was an easy way to tint the back plastic window on the soft top, but for now it doesn't bother me too much. This shop also does ceramic coating, so I'll probably bring it back for ceramic or graphene coating once I've gotten the decals on.

Jeep Gladiator 2022 Sting Gray Gladiator Sport Build Tint

So far, my son and I took our first trip "offroading" to Collier Mills here in Central NJ. We didn't get into anything too crazy since it was our first time and we were by ourselves, but it was still a ton of fun. Looking at a rough patch of road, ditch, sand, mud puddle, etc. and asking yourself "should I?" is definitely a new but welcome experience for us.

Jeep Gladiator 2022 Sting Gray Gladiator Sport Build Pine Barrens

Next up is a set of Rebel Offroad bed rails I have sitting in the garage, along with some mounts to hold shovels, traction board, etc. From there, I'm thinking maybe a steel bumper with a winch and a bed rack. Somewhere on my list is also a level/lift kit next, along with the Hellwig rear sway bar. I actually think it rides really good as is, but having a bit more clearance isn't a bad thing, and a more buttoned up ride and rear end would be nice too.

Overall, it's been an awesome 5 weeks of ownership so far, and I am stoked to continue this journey. I don't think I've ever modified a car as much as I have before even getting the actual license plate in the mail!
Sponsored

Hootbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
Looks good!

OP
OP

kyoung05

First Name
Kyoung
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It's been a little over a month since my first post, and I've since added some Rebel Off Road HD Bed Rails, Diode Dynamics SS3 LED fog lights, Sylvania Silverstar headlight bulbs, Quadratec 16" Hi Performance AM/FM Stubby Antenna, and Rocktrix RT105 Bronze Wheels. I think it's coming along pretty nicely, and I really like the look of the bronze wheels with the Sting Gray. I went with the +12 offset and I think the 1" wider stance makes it look just aggressive enough. Aside from looking good (IMO) they were some of the lightest wheels I was able to find at 23lbs - the only ones I came across that were lighter were the Titan 7 T-AK1's that are forged which weigh 20.8lbs, but I couldn't justify the 3.5x cost difference.

Also, the SS3 foglights made a world of difference! I was considering also getting their headlights but since they haven't been released yet, wanted to wait a bit and see some reviews before pulling the trigger. If they're anything like the foglights, I'll definitely be picking some up. In the meantime, the Silverstar bulbs are a slight upgrade over the factory halogen ones, but the foglights are really what make the difference. Nightime visibility is so much better!

I have the Mopar soft tonneau cover and trailer hitch/receiver still waiting to be installed, which I'll try to get done over the weekend. I am also waiting on some Sting Gray/Go Mango decals which I think will add a nice visual pop of color.

Then, in a few weeks, I have the Clayton 1.5" Level Kit going on. After that, probably a bumper/winch after the winter and I think I'll be done for a bit.

I've done way more than I thought I would, and a lot faster too, but it's been a ton of fun! This is easily turning out to be one of the best vehicles I've owned.

I'll post some follow up pics after the decals and the level kit go on.

Jeep Gladiator 2022 Sting Gray Gladiator Sport Build IMG_1397

Sponsored

OP
OP

kyoung05

First Name
Kyoung
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just had the Clayton 1.5" Level Kit installed. On my Sport, I think it raised it a bit more than 1.5” but I didn’t actually measure before and after. It’s sitting pretty level right now - maybe slightly higher in the front, but I plan to add a new bumper and winch which should bring the front slightly back down. So far, really like the ride!

Also had the Sting Gray/Go Mango decals put on. I think they add a nice pop of color! Eventually, I think I'd like to add some more, but don't want to overdo it either.

Jeep Gladiator 2022 Sting Gray Gladiator Sport Build IMG_1429

Jeep Gladiator 2022 Sting Gray Gladiator Sport Build IMG_1427

Jeep Gladiator 2022 Sting Gray Gladiator Sport Build IMG_1428

Benbean66

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1973 Honda CB350, '88 RHD YJ, '88 YJ, 2020 JT Spor
Occupation
Railroad Equipment Operator
Vehicle Showcase
Love it! I started off with almost an exact twin! The only option mine had on it, was the Max Tow package.

image000000_06.jpg

OP
OP

kyoung05

First Name
Kyoung
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Love it! I started off with almost an exact twin! The only option mine had on it, was the Max Tow package.

Jeep Gladiator 2022 Sting Gray Gladiator Sport Build image000000_06
Awesome! How old is your son? Mine is 4, going on 5, and he loves the way it’s coming together! He REALLY wants that winch but mostly because he thinks it’ll be a grappling hook!

Free2roam

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Occupation
Fabricator by trade/ Maintenance Mechanic
Just had the Clayton 1.5" Level Kit installed. On my Sport, I think it raised it a bit more than 1.5” but I didn’t actually measure before and after. It’s sitting pretty level right now - maybe slightly higher in the front, but I plan to add a new bumper and winch which should bring the front slightly back down. So far, really like the ride!

Also had the Sting Gray/Go Mango decals put on. I think they add a nice pop of color! Eventually, I think I'd like to add some more, but don't want to overdo it either.

Where'd ya get that Sting Grey sticker?

Sponsored

pixeldecals

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.pixeldecals.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Where'd ya get that Sting Grey sticker?
The orange accented ones aren't on my site - only the red ones, message me if you'd like orange accented ones, or any other accent color as well.

Benbean66

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Awesome! How old is your son? Mine is 4, going on 5, and he loves the way it’s coming together! He REALLY wants that winch but mostly because he thinks it’ll be a grappling hook!
That's awesome! My son turns 14 today, actually, so he was probably 11 or 12 in the picture.

Clayton Off Road

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR

Looks great! The springs net about 2" of lift, levels out the JT's nicely!

OP
OP

kyoung05

First Name
Kyoung
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That's awesome! My son turns 14 today, actually, so he was probably 11 or 12 in the picture.
Oh that's awesome! Those are some very formative years and it's great that he's been able to share this hobby with you during that time! Hopefully my son will still be into cars as much as he is now in 10yrs time.

Benbean66

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Oh that's awesome! Those are some very formative years and it's great that he's been able to share this hobby with you during that time! Hopefully my son will still be into cars as much as he is now in 10yrs time.
Agreed. And yes, he's obsessed with cars now. He's 2 years out and is car shopping already, lol! He goes with me on a lot of long trips, quick runs to the store, day trips to nearby off-road parks, and countless trips into our garage to work on or tinker with the JT. I hope your son continues to love the "sport" (pun intended) as much as we do.
Sponsored