Sponsored

2023 Chevy Colorado just dropped... What does that mean for the Gladiator.

The Duck of Earl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
In flux
As title already said, do you think there is anything the refresh of the Colorado does that makes Jeep do anything to the Gladiator?

Interior refresh was waaay overdue in the Colorado, and aside from the obvious lack of Uconnect 5 and wireless CarPlay, I think the interior of the Gladiator is just fine. For me, it appears the back seat in the Colorado is the same size as the last gen - so still too small for my purposes. But the engine choices seem like a home run for the mid-sized segment.

I think the biggest punch to the Gladiator is to the Mojave trim, putting the Pentastar up against the HO 2.7t with 430lbs ft of torque.
Sponsored

bleda2002

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR Firecracker Red
Engine choices are the real game changer for the Chevy. With that said, the base engine is a dog, and even the mid engine running 3.42's is gonna not be great on 33's in that zr2.

Jeep already has the road map i'm sure of new engines and a refresh on the docket so I dont think this is pushing them to really do anything. In the next few years we'll see the I6 and the 4xE show up in the gladiator

Last edited:

NachoRuby

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR , '18 JLU, 73 VW Bug, 97 VW Jetta, all MTs
I don't really think it changes anything. The gladiator is kind of its own niche of solid axle convertible pickup trucks. Let's not forget, If you really need torque, an engine with that much torque is available on a gladiator.

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I don't really think it changes anything. The gladiator is kind of its own niche of solid axle convertible pickup trucks. Let's not forget, If you really need torque, an engine with that much torque is available on a gladiator.
I agree. I don't think there is a lot of cross shopping. The Gladiator makes no sense as a pure pickup because its $10,000 more for a given level of trim.

the convertible and doors off make it a great Swiss army knife of a vehicle. For someone who doesn't care about the top or doors, it comes down to solid front axle. There just aren't that many rock crawlers or overlanders for whom that will really matter.

OP
OP
The Duck of Earl

The Duck of Earl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
In flux
Ya., just wishing Jeep would respond with rolling out the 5.7 and riding that out for a couple years ;). Know the USA Ranger release is just around the corner, and the engine choices there are likely to be the same story.

I sometimes forget about the diesel option on the Gladiator given all the other things that come with that type of drive train.

Sponsored

badger719

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport
I really hope this gets Jeep to make more equipment standard on the base Gladiators.

I don't mind the manual windows or locks on my base Sport but it blows my mind that Jeep is the only one still offering this in 2022. Also some of the basic things like LED lighting are sold as options that are ridiculously overpriced imo.

NachoRuby

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I really hope this gets Jeep to make more equipment standard on the base Gladiators.

I don't mind the manual windows or locks on my base Sport but it blows my mind that Jeep is the only one still offering this in 2022.
I think they offer it precisely because people want it. That's an intentional offering. Like wranglers with no AC are still available too. It's on purpose. It's to meet a certain price point while still offering a convertible, and maybe even moreso, to appeal to the nostalgic buyer looking for simplicity. Don't think of it as not being standard. It's more like you're getting a discount for not getting them. The base price would just go up if they made it standard. I actually wish I could have gotten my Rubi with roll-up windows, because I could have put the money elsewhere on more options I do care about. Almost bought a Willys with no stuff. My wife said I need power windows.

I would give up my power windows and locks before I gave up my cold weather package, though.

badger719

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport
I think they offer it precisely because people want it. That's an intentional offering. Like wranglers with no AC are still available too. It's on purpose. It's to meet a certain price point while still offering a convertible, and maybe even moreso, to appeal to the nostalgic buyer looking for simplicity. Don't think of it as not being standard. It's more like you're getting a discount for not getting them. The base price would just go up if they made it standard. I actually wish I could have gotten my Rubi with roll-up windows, because I could have put the money elsewhere on more options I do care about. Almost bought a Willys with no stuff. My wife said I need power windows.

I would give up my power windows and locks before I gave up my cold weather package, though.
The no-AC base JL is gone for MY 2023, actually. Now AC shows up as a mandatory add on for even the stripped down Sports.

NachoRuby

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The no-AC base JL is gone for MY 2023, actually. Now AC shows up as a mandatory add on for even the stripped down Sports.
It's still showing online for the 23's in two door guise. It's it just a case of not being up to date? It's been gone for the 4 door models for a while.
Edit: it's gone on the website now too. Must have just happened. But it did make the price go up. I can't imagine they sold many that way, though.

ZoMojave

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTM (sold) '23 WL74
A redesign of the Colorado means nothing to me personally. You can't really compare the two.

If GM doesn't step up the quality of the vehicles that it builds, it won't matter anyway. Cheaply built with dismal quality control. And this comes from a once hardcore Chevy guy (that happened to work for GM for thirty years). Sad to see the decline of a great product.

Sponsored

FLGladiator

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Seadoo
I agree. I don't think there is a lot of cross shopping. The Gladiator makes no sense as a pure pickup because its $10,000 more for a given level of trim.

the convertible and doors off make it a great Swiss army knife of a vehicle. For someone who doesn't care about the top or doors, it comes down to solid front axle. There just aren't that many rock crawlers or overlanders for whom that will really matter.
I agree, as a first time Jeep buyer, I didn't consider any pickup truck as a competitor. In fact I don't even like pick up trucks. The Gladiator is a different vehicle all together. More of a Hummer or a G Wagon style category imo.

COmtnbiker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep TJ; 2022 Sport S JT
I wish the JT had some version of the I4 turbo in Ranger and now Colorado. V6 loses 3% of power for every 1k feet in altitude. So in Denver Metro, I'm at 15% power loss. In the real mountains, I'm 24-30% loss.

Beowulf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited
It's great and would be on my list if I wanted an IFS mid-size truck. I'm glad the engines choices are there on the Colorado. Maybe it will push Jeep to release the Hurricane variant in the JL and JT or even put a V8 in the JT.

Competition is good.

DirkG

First Name
Dirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gator Sport S
I think this is a good thing for the industry as GM is starting to really put its R&D into its core truck-based products. GM can build a damn good truck. The Colorado was no longer a good truck. It gives us consumers better options and forces brands like Toyota to spend more on R&D so that the Tacoma doesn't get fat and happy on having little to no competition for all those years.

While this adds a bigger fish to the pond, I echo that the Gladiator is kinda its own species. Certainly bigger engines and features raise the bar, which is a good thing, but I don't think this Colorado release is sending Jeep engineers scrambling.

My first car was a Chevy Beretta (ironically the only GM my wife and I have ever owned), but I'm always rooting for GM. I'm glad to see this new Colorado looks to be a winner. Hopefully the GMC Canyon follows suit.

fourfa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JTRD + ACCC
Build Thread
Link
Ugh, 2+ inches wider, 3+ inches longer, +550 lbs for ZR2 trim. Always moving in the wrong direction. (not that this is unique to GM of course.)

They're dropping the diesel, no surprise. But I guess we can expect fairly good MPG and range from the 2.7T gas motor with cylinder deactivation.

Front and rear e-lockers now in ZR2, before it was G80 rear and front e-locker so this is arguably an upgrade?

Tailgate storage compartment is nice
Sponsored