First Name
Duke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mojave
Occupation
Pet Resort Manager
I probably would have bought an HA if was available TBH (COVID inventory). I'm glad I pulled the trigger on the Mojave in hindsight. 20's are the norm for pick ups, anything smaller is odd IMHO. I had a lower trim model Silverado and it came with 31's on 20's, power windows and door locks - STANDARD, this checks the box for a lot of potential buyers. I live in a town of about 100k people and their maybe 5 people in total that actually wheel their jeeps. So I get why jeep is doing this.
Sponsored

MRPRmojave

First Name
Duke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mojave
Occupation
Pet Resort Manager
Also, this is why the Gladiator is so awesome. It is so diverse in what it can look like and do. No other truck on the market can come close.

SargeDiesel

First Name
michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon Diesel
Occupation
Retired Military
I like how it includes a color-matched hard top and fender flares. As long as the color is black. The price is good though, when you consider the cost to add auto trans and hard top to a sport S. Plus you get a few nice features like remote keyless entry that (I think) are extra on a sport S.
If you ask me, it's a little late to enter the game with basically a black out of version... it's been over done so much already.

MudderNuker

First Name
Jose
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR
Occupation
Retired@52
I stopped reading at 20" wheels. No thanks.

Sponsored

Wageslave

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'06 GC Overland, '21 Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Man, 20s really bring out the hate around these parts. It's almost like half of you forget there are HA owners among us and you're all just relentlessly talking shit.

The gladiator is a cool truck if you take it offroad. The gladiator is also a cool truck if you don't take it offroad. It's the only 4 seater convertible truck ever mass-produced, not everyone who buys one is going to have exactly your taste in hobbies. Doesn't mean you need to insult them.

And for what it's worth, OEM 32s on 20s have 6 inches of sidewall. They aren't the rubberbands many of you claim they are.
Not going to lie, I am not a 20" wheel fan but not a hater either. My Silverado that had 20" LTZ wheels on it that got swapped over to 17" LT wheels because the 20's had such a harsh ride. My Overland came with the 18" wheels and I feel like I have to pay a $150 tax to get the same tire in an 18" size vs a 17" size. It is about the same going from 17" to 20".

If you like the look and are willing to pay for the more expensive tires then more power to you, but the smaller wheels do have advantages.

Wheelin98TJ

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Bean Counter
Not going to lie, I am not a 20" wheel fan but not a hater either. My Silverado that had 20" LTZ wheels on it that got swapped over to 17" LT wheels because the 20's had such a harsh ride. My Overland came with the 18" wheels and I feel like I have to pay a $150 tax to get the same tire in an 18" size vs a 17" size. It is about the same going from 17" to 20".

If you like the look and are willing to pay for the more expensive tires then more power to you, but the smaller wheels do have advantages.
How much sidewall do you need and at what point does it not matter? I don’t think your truck would ride better with 44s. 20” wheels and stock Silverado size tires have plenty of sidewall to ride nice.

I swapped from 18s to 20s on an F150 and didn’t notice anything different in the ride harshness.

Sponsored

Farmer Fran

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Gladiator High Altitude (Metro-Jethro) 2023
THe
Man.... I love flea markets... I don't have any close around, so I've been saving mod money much easier. ?
There is a few around me.

I wheel in my Willys over at Uwharrie National Forest but the Gladiator is my Metro-vehicle. My Wrangler just hit 300 miles on the odometer when we hit the trails. We bought it and a day later wheeling.

Wageslave

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'06 GC Overland, '21 Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
How much sidewall do you need and at what point does it not matter? I don’t think your truck would ride better with 44s. 20” wheels and stock Silverado size tires have plenty of sidewall to ride nice.

I swapped from 18s to 20s on an F150 and didn’t notice anything different in the ride harshness.
My roads in particular are terrible for washboards. I couldn't get tire pressure low enough to take the high frequency rebound bounce out of the tires, and it would get bad enough to unsettle the suspension at higher speeds. The smaller wheels with the same tire size lead to a bigger sidewall that was more absorbent and less unsprung weight that was much easier to tune in for my roads.

I think bigger tires on smaller rims would still be a net loss because of the increased unsprung weight, but still possible to tune in with air pressure if you ignore possible long term effects on tire wear.

Rahkmalla

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Gobi Manual Mojave
Build Thread
Link

I'm a 35s on 17s guy myself. I don't like 20s either, but there's not liking something and then there's vitriol, I'm opposed to the latter.

SargeDiesel

First Name
michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon Diesel
Occupation
Retired Military
I think the 20s debate comes down to the vehicle and personality. I personally feel an offroad vehicle benefits more from a smaller diameter, say 17" with as much sidewall as your suspension can handle. Currently I run 37s.

On the other hand, I have had everything from 15s - 20s on other vehicles. On my latest performance cars, I ran 18s and 19s. I currently have a Dodge Ram 1500 Quad Cab sitting on 20s... but not on rubberbands... rather 285/50.

Ultimately the rim/tire set up should match the main function of the vehicle. Fashion should come second.
My 2cents anyway.

Last edited:

Redleg37

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Gladiator Sport, 13 Wrangler Sport
Occupation
Clinical Chaplain
I'd probably buy it over the Sport I have just because it has slightly nicer features for about the same price and I have to replace the wheels either way.
Sponsored