First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21’ Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Electrical
I’m confused, that’s a Tacoma?? Why does it look so big?
Sponsored

Last edited:

be77solo

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Gladiator Willys Sport 6-MT, '19 Cadillac XT4
Curious to see what pans out, but I loved my '17,'19' Tundra's, REALLY loved my '15 4Runner Trail, but never really connected with my '17 Tacoma.

I'm loving my Gladiator, but man I MISS the Tundra engine..... sucks on gas but tons of bottom end old school torque, which makes driving fun.

If they offered the Tundra in a manual transmission I'd be all over that in a second........ but here we are ha

lrtexasman

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tahoe
Here’s a render from a guy who was pretty close on the Tundra. Rumor has it that it will get the Turbo 4/10 speed from the 2022 Lexus NX. Rear discs and 4-link coil-sprung rear axle. I’m also hearing it got pushed back a year and will now be a 2024 in Late 2023. It’s going to be on the new TNGA global platform with the 22 Tundra, 23/24 Sequoia and 4 Runner.
Jeep Gladiator 2024 Tacoma (4th gen) prototype breaks cover 📸 3CBF6EFC-D867-4CBD-B1E2-8488104AAB1F

Sponsored

Courtsm3

First Name
Kayle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
Thin Blue Line
I wonder if this one:

A) has more than an ancient 6spd auto
B) isn't trying to run the engine at 1300 RPM at 80 MPH
C) Has TCM programming that understands there's something between 6th gear and 4th, something between 3rd gear and 1st
D) makes ANY torque below 3000 RPM
E) has electronics (stereo, dash, etc) dating past 1998 technology

I had a '19 TRD Pro. Absolutely the WORST vehicle I've ever owned (and I go through vehicles like underwear), without a close second. Got rid of it in 6 months (a new record for me). I will NEVER so much as look at a Toyo dealer.
Hilarious, 6 ish months for me as well. 2019 TRD Pro 6 speed manual. Looked cool, rode well but I couldnt stand everything else.

If this is indeed a Tacoma, looks like they ditched rear drum brakes and rear springs. Its low but likely a 2wd sr5 tester.

UM_Ftown

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ
So the Nissan is new, GM twins will be all new next year, as well as possibly the Ranger? Then you have the Tacoma the following year. Lots of new options finally in the mid-size truck market.

lrtexasman

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tahoe
I really follow all the mid-size trucks and it mystifies me why no one else (besides the Ridgeline) competes agains the JT for rear seat comfort, legroom, amenities (armrest, air vents, charging ports) and functionality. Kinda funny that the hardest core off-roader has the best back seat for passengers.

Trickster

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JT HA, 22 Volvo V60 CC, 76 Fiat 124,
Occupation
Heavy equipment operator
Here’s a render from a guy who was pretty close on the Tundra. Rumor has it that it will get the Turbo 4/10 speed from the 2022 Lexus NX. Rear discs and 4-link coil-sprung rear axle. I’m also hearing it got pushed back a year and will now be a 2024 in Late 2023. It’s going to be on the new TNGA global platform with the 22 Tundra, 23/24 Sequoia and 4 Runner.
Jeep Gladiator 2024 Tacoma (4th gen) prototype breaks cover 📸 3CBF6EFC-D867-4CBD-B1E2-8488104AAB1F
2 years from now? A lot can happen between now and then. Probably have some sort of electrification perhaps.

COmtnbiker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep TJ; 2022 Sport S JT
Those mirrors look too big for it to be a Tacoma.

Sponsored

FormerToyotaGuy

First Name
Acen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Legislative
That looks like a Tundra size truck. I went from a 16" TRD Off Road to Gladiator Rubicon and couldn't be happier. As others have stated the current generation Tacoma with the 3.5L lacks low end torque, is always trying to find a gear. The previous generation 4.0L was a much better engine especially for an off road truck. The dash was also better, the current generation dash looked updated but very similar to my 82 Toyota. The electronics were simple not as refined as Gladiator, and also had more gremlins.
I seem to always have Toyota or Jeeps, I have hope that the new truck will be a good rig. Toyota has lived on its reliability reputation without much thought to style and comforts. Maybe with others uping their game in the mid size market Toyota will do the same.
To be honest, I think the new Nissan looks better than Tacoma.

lrtexasman

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tahoe
That looks like a Tundra size truck. I went from a 16" TRD Off Road to Gladiator Rubicon and couldn't be happier. As others have stated the current generation Tacoma with the 3.5L lacks low end torque, is always trying to find a gear. The previous generation 4.0L was a much better engine especially for an off road truck. The dash was also better, the current generation dash looked updated but very similar to my 82 Toyota. The electronics were simple not as refined as Gladiator, and also had more gremlins.
I seem to always have Toyota or Jeeps, I have hope that the new truck will be a good rig. Toyota has lived on its reliability reputation without much thought to style and comforts. Maybe with others uping their game in the mid size market Toyota will do the same.
To be honest, I think the new Nissan looks better than Tacoma.

It’s the Tacoma and I hear more than 2 years off. Same with the Ranger. They will compete against a refreshed JT. The GM twins will debut this spring and be available a year from now.
https://jalopnik.com/toyota-keeps-its-updated-tacoma-truck-tests-under-wraps-1847800863

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

obrianmcc

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
I go back and forth on the Taco. I do feel Toyotas are good trucks. My wheeling buddy has one and while he has it relatively built with Icon suspension and armor. It still struggles to keep up with the Gladiator. On a trail this past weekend he needed to utilize the electric aids and locker to get through sections the Gladiator rolled through with little issue. If Toyota at a minimum fails to address the transmission issues I would definitely pass .....
Sponsored