2024 Tacoma (4th gen) prototype breaks cover 📸

Closet Jeep guy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
3rd gen tacoma
So im a 2021 Tacoma owner , I have been reading a lot about these Gladiators . It seems like a lot of fellow Toyota guys have made the jump. I do a lot of off roading and I'm drawn to the rubicon . As of right now though the prices are sky high plus I'm kind of curious what they will possibly change in 2024 on the Gladiator, I read with the ev coming they might do a little redesign
So one question I have is the space for the driver that much more the the Tacoma? And how is the back seat for 2 car seats ?
Sponsored

Victoryrider78

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
Sales / Operations Support
So im a 2021 Tacoma owner , I have been reading a lot about these Gladiators . It seems like a lot of fellow Toyota guys have made the jump. I do a lot of off roading and I'm drawn to the rubicon . As of right now though the prices are sky high plus I'm kind of curious what they will possibly change in 2024 on the Gladiator, I read with the ev coming they might do a little redesign
So one question I have is the space for the driver that much more the the Tacoma? And how is the back seat for 2 car seats ?
I have to carseats in the back seat. One was just recently changed from rear facing to forward facing. My seat is all the way back and my 6 yo fits just fine behind me.

I test drove a '15 Tacoma crew cab when they first came out and there wasn't a chance I was getting a rear facing carseat in the back seat. The Gladiator has plenty of room.

DirkG

First Name
Dirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gator Sport S
I have two sons (one car seat) and there's plenty of room in the back. I haul a ton of baseball, basketball, and soccer gear.

As for reliability from a Toyota to a Jeep, well, this is my first Jeep (and truck for that matter). My wife and I owned 8 bullet-proof Acuras prior to this Jeep (wife drives a new RDX). My Jeep has had zero problems through 22K miles (knock on wood). And my JT has had more attention that all 8 Acuras combined. It's the most fun vehicle I've ever owned by far.

Guns_N_Rosaries

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Willys Edition
I had a base model 2019 Tacoma that I really liked even though it was a dog. We had to get rid of it because we couldn't fit a rear facing car seat in the back and have enough leg room for a front passenger.

Closet Jeep guy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
3rd gen tacoma
I had a base model 2019 Tacoma that I really liked even though it was a dog. We had to get rid of it because we couldn't fit a rear facing car seat in the back and have enough leg room for a front passenger.
I'm close but the prices in Canada for I want are 100k taxes in 🤣🤣
I have a premium off road Army green which I got for 47k plus taxes plus I traded my payed off 18 for it
Like I mentioned I will have to wait until prices come back to reality in Canada .
Really want a Rubicon do to the front lockers

Sponsored

Closet Jeep guy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
3rd gen tacoma
I have two sons (one car seat) and there's plenty of room in the back. I haul a ton of baseball, basketball, and soccer gear.

As for reliability from a Toyota to a Jeep, well, this is my first Jeep (and truck for that matter). My wife and I owned 8 bullet-proof Acuras prior to this Jeep (wife drives a new RDX). My Jeep has had zero problems through 22K miles (knock on wood). And my JT has had more attention that all 8 Acuras combined. It's the most fun vehicle I've ever owned by far.
I really wanted a diesel Rubicon but then I read about all the issues they have ....I think when I make the jump I'll stick with gas

NC_Overland

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Overland
I wonder if this one:

A) has more than an ancient 6spd auto
B) isn't trying to run the engine at 1300 RPM at 80 MPH
C) Has TCM programming that understands there's something between 6th gear and 4th, something between 3rd gear and 1st
D) makes ANY torque below 3000 RPM
E) has electronics (stereo, dash, etc) dating past 1998 technology

I had a '19 TRD Pro. Absolutely the WORST vehicle I've ever owned (and I go through vehicles like underwear), without a close second. Got rid of it in 6 months (a new record for me). I will NEVER so much as look at a Toyo dealer.
When I bought my 2017 Canyon, I literally went that day to buy a Tacoma. A local dealer gave me a really fair price and had a good selection, I just had to pick one out. After the test drive, I was seriously disappointed. It had no power and the automatic was awful. I tried a manual transmission and it was even worse. If you tried to drive it normally it chugged and bucked. I finally got pissed and dumped the clutch at 4K and redlined it through first and second and it felt great, kinda fun to drive. That’s the only way it felt decent. I can’t buy a truck like that. I don’t know how they sell so many trucks.

I’d read good reviews on the Colorado/Canyon so I went to the dealership next door and drove a SLT Canyon. It was night and day better. It drove great. The SLTs look like old man trucks so I found an All Terrain on the over flow lot that looked great and bought it from them a few days later.

Aonarch

First Name
Alec
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Engineer
I wonder if this one:

A) has more than an ancient 6spd auto
B) isn't trying to run the engine at 1300 RPM at 80 MPH
C) Has TCM programming that understands there's something between 6th gear and 4th, something between 3rd gear and 1st
D) makes ANY torque below 3000 RPM
E) has electronics (stereo, dash, etc) dating past 1998 technology

I had a '19 TRD Pro. Absolutely the WORST vehicle I've ever owned (and I go through vehicles like underwear), without a close second. Got rid of it in 6 months (a new record for me). I will NEVER so much as look at a Toyo dealer.
I bought a 2005 Tacoma TRD Offroad brand new and thought it was a great pickup. It had some downsides like the seating position and small cabin. But otherwise it was nice.

Fast forward 17 years later, they are still selling them with minor updates...

They are ancient. Toyota relies upon their 90s Golden Years to keep selling vehicles. Zero innovation, which is also how they are still pretty damn reliable.

I don't understand why people buy them either.

The new Frontier looks really nice, but I bet they will still get wildly outsold by the ancient Tacoma.

My wife's 2019 RX350 has been a turd. It had left her stranded three times, but god forbid I speak ill of Toyota to her.

cotnballs2000

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Gladiator Diesel
Occupation
Aerospace Engineer, past- USAF vehicle mechanic
I sat in a 2020 TRD Pro before I bought my JTR and it felt small inside and no head room and weird driving postion. Unless they fix that and put on a front locker and have a lower transfer case with better crawl ratio I just can't do it. I think the worst thing about Toyota around her are the sales people, but its a Toyota BS.

Closet Jeep guy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
3rd gen tacoma
I bought a 2005 Tacoma TRD Offroad brand new and thought it was a great pickup. It had some downsides like the seating position and small cabin. But otherwise it was nice.

Fast forward 17 years later, they are still selling them with minor updates...

They are ancient. Toyota relies upon their 90s Golden Years to keep selling vehicles. Zero innovation, which is also how they are still pretty damn reliable.

I don't understand why people buy them either.

The new Frontier looks really nice, but I bet they will still get wildly outsold by the ancient Tacoma.

My wife's 2019 RX350 has been a turd. It had left her stranded three times, but god forbid I speak ill of Toyota to her.
The new Nissan looks like they ripped off the Toyota front end 🤣

Sponsored

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
I expect that the new Taco will have rear coil spring suspension and a small turbo-charged engine mated to a 10-speed auto trans. They might keep the manual trans around just because Jeep still has one, but they'd probably love to ditch it. The interior won't change much, but will get tweaked with a larger infotainment screen and the same horrendous software that the 2022 Tundra has.

To the guy who asked about the '24 Gladiator, yes there is an interior update coming and the center console area is one of their targets for improvement.

Closet Jeep guy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
3rd gen tacoma
I expect that the new Taco will have rear coil spring suspension and a small turbo-charged engine mated to a 10-speed auto trans. They might keep the manual trans around just because Jeep still has one, but they'd probably love to ditch it. The interior won't change much, but will get tweaked with a larger infotainment screen and the same horrendous software that the 2022 Tundra has.

To the guy who asked about the '24 Gladiator, yes there is an interior update coming and the center console area is one of their targets for improvement.
Yes that was me , also holding out because a possible engine change is coming as discussed in another thread on here . Just hoping I can hold off for 2 years...im getting the itch to switch

Aonarch

First Name
Alec
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Engineer
Yes that was me , also holding out because a possible engine change is coming as discussed in another thread on here . Just hoping I can hold off for 2 years...im getting the itch to switch
I'm interested in the new Ranger more.

Ward

First Name
Ward
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Mojave
Occupation
retired
First post from Durango, CO. I purchased a 2018 Toyota TRD 6 speed manual in Dec. 2017. I had sold my 97 TJ to a neighbor. The TJ had a 2" lift, 4.10s, ARB lockers, 5 speed manual, etc. One of the principal reasons I sold was the on road steering & stability. Several of our trips back & forth to Moab in cross wind conditions negated the great off road fun Moab offers.

The Tacoma was left mostly stock to maintain favorable on road bias. I considered the Tacoma a compromise. It worked for 90% of our back country travel & the occasional trip. It did suffer from super high reverse gearing, acceleration unless floored, & weak road performance. The older I get the more PITA a manual is for me on difficult trails with multi point switchbacks & steep drop offs.

Things changed 5 weeks ago when my wife suffered a fractured Tibia & blown knee on her left leg & thus prohibiting clutch operation. I'm 80 this year & my wife is not far behind so you can understand her healing issues going forward.

Last week I took our Tacoma to the Toyota dealership here in Durango for service & noticed a Sting Grey 2021 Mojave parked in the used vehicle area. I contacted the sales Mgr. & learned it had 1100 miles on the clock & the auto transmission. I test drove the 3.6 Gladiator Mojave & was immediately impressed by the performance (by comparison with the Tacoma). My wife loved it & got a bit misty at the thought of acquiring another Jeep. (We've owned 4 previously)

We traded for it, ordered NFAB Podium steps & are super pleased. I checked in with the Jeep Dealership Service Manager to transfer warranty & he related that the Mojave was good to go with no recalls or issues & great owner satisfaction.

I'm still on the honeymoon with the Mojave & no buyers remorse. Now I have to go & exercise my Honda, snowblower!
Sponsored