Sponsored

Closet Jeep guy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
3rd gen tacoma
Has a hybrid engine that will eat a jeep and also a couple models have a disconnecting sway bar . Ppl don't buy Tacoma nor gladiator because they need something to tow behind it lol. By a full size if you need towing

Gren71

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JT sports S Max Tow
Occupation
Magician
Vehicle Showcase
Has a hybrid engine that will eat a jeep and also a couple models have a disconnecting sway bar . Ppl don't buy Tacoma nor gladiator because they need something to tow behind it lol. By a full size if you need towing
Respectfully disagree. Having a jeep that can do jeep things, and a tow is the best of both worlds for a lot of people. For instance, I regularly pull a 6000 pound travel trailer with mine. The entire “ if you tow just get a full size.” is just asinine to me when you realize that a full-size ram has almost the same payload and tow capacity as a jt with the max tow package.

realistically speaking, the vast majority of jeeps don’t leave the pavement… even though I’m glad Toyota is finally catching up with a swaybar disconnect….i don’t personally see that as a huge selling point.

with that in mind, I’m just not sure the changes made to this are going to sway people and it’s directions versus other midsize truck models.

Sponsored

TheDerb

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Rubicon
I believe that they did a REALLY good job on this truck.

I got my Gladiator because I have been in Jeeps forever and when they released a truck version it was able to take the place of my old Wrangler and my old light duty truck. If I were without a truck right now I would strongly consider this new Tacoma if I wasn't already in the Jeep Ecosystem.

I daresay this may take some Bronco customers from Ford who are on the fence regarding a Bronco or something with more tow/payload capacity. I don't think it'll steer a whole lot of potential Gladiator buyers to the Toyota side, though.

Closet Jeep guy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
3rd gen tacoma
Respectfully disagree. Having a jeep that can do jeep things, and a tow is the best of both worlds for a lot of people. For instance, I regularly pull a 6000 pound travel trailer with mine. The entire “ if you tow just get a full size.” is just asinine to me when you realize that a full-size ram has almost the same payload and tow capacity as a jt with the max tow package.

realistically speaking, the vast majority of jeeps don’t leave the pavement… even though I’m glad Toyota is finally catching up with a swaybar disconnect….i don’t personally see that as a huge selling point.

with that in mind, I’m just not sure the changes made to this are going to sway people and it’s directions versus other midsize truck models.
And just to be clear that towing spec might only be the lower trims . I didn't see hybrid tow specs

Closet Jeep guy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
3rd gen tacoma
The official launch isn't even for another 6 hours I believe. Or so the count down says on the Tacoma 4g website

Soccermike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JT GCMLE '19 JLU '08 JKU
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
10 Year/150K warranty on the hybrid Battery! Hoping Jeep has as much faith in their design.

Also the battery is using NiMH vs everyone else using Li-ion. That is unexpected, has lower energy density and less cycle life. But wow, a 10 year/150K warranty screams "who cares"!

Wife has a 4Runr but I am taking my top off the Gladiator Launch Ed this weekend so I won't be moving to the Fixed-Top side this decade.

Good news for Jeep. Toyota is aiming at a higher MSRP than Jeep. Bad news for Jeep is that Toyota will sell 10x more trucks than Jeep.

Sponsored

mtpilatus

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sting Gray Gladiator Rubicon
If it's the same setup as some of their other hybrids, fuel capacity stinks. Can't use all the fuel in the tank. 17 gal tank and when the the low fuel light comes on you can only put 12.5 gallons in it.

Aught-6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
"278 horsepower and 317 lb.-ft". 😭😭

The screen looks tacked on too.

I had been holding out hope for a V6. No hybrid for me. We'll have to see how it drives maybe the 8-speed will make the difference.

Orange01z28

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Sport S
only 4 cylinder options

1700 payload

6500 towing

and a dang tablet as a radio

No thanks