First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22' Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Fed
Honestly, this has me interested. I will prob go test drive one and see how it feels but in all honesty, the Trail Hunter model blows the Gladiator out of the water for features and I say that as a Jeep nut hugger. It just seems like they have put a lot more thought into things that actually benefit the user. Like the bed lighting, and integrated air compressor, snorkel, big in-bed outlet, inverter, ridged for lights that can do amber and white the list goes on.

I do think off-road the Jeep will still be better when things get rough but I like to look at things in an overall way on how much use you will get out of each perk. My only real gripe with the Toyota that they did seem to mess up since the model is aimed at overlanders is the lack of a front locker.

I also don't like how it is so hard to fit bigger tires into Toyota but I don't know if that will be the case with this model so I will hold my judgment on that.

Either way if the price is not outlandishly wild on that model i will be looking into it.
There are features that make a big difference from the factory and others that are liable to be replaced quickly. In the former category are steel bumper, lockers, aux switches + wires, trail cams. The integration on the electrical stuff is a major pain to pull off with the same fit and finish.

I would mark the compressor and possibly inverter (non hybrid) as being on the list to replace. The aftermarket offers a lot of choices there and install is pretty easy, especially if the wiring is there.

I'm going to bet this 'snorkel' is really a "desert air intake" with implied caveats.
Sponsored

AXISJT

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TJ Wrangler, Gladiator ecodiesel sport
Occupation
Lab manager

There are features that make a big difference from the factory and others that are liable to be replaced quickly. In the former category are steel bumper, lockers, aux switches + wires, trail cams. The integration on the electrical stuff is a major pain to pull off with the same fit and finish.

I would mark the compressor and possibly inverter (non hybrid) as being on the list to replace. The aftermarket offers a lot of choices there and install is pretty easy, especially if the wiring is there.

I'm going to bet this 'snorkel' is really a "desert air intake" with implied caveats.
Why would you replace a built-in compressor that has a digital gauge, USB, dc, and AC charging ports, and a 2400w inverter? Personally, I would much rather replace a bumper than any of that. As for the desert intake, I'm not sure of the caveats over the perks especially if you like to travel anywhere in the west side of the country where dust is a serious issue when going camping in a lot of places.

fourfa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JTRD + ACCC
Build Thread
Link
Well for instance, usually when manufacturers include an air compressor, it’s undersized and just barely adequate for a single stock-sized tire. Try repeatedly airing up tires that are wider and +4” over stock, over and over, and you might wish they’d not bothered. Even stock wiring is probably not up to that task

Tuna

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JT Willys diesel, 2016 JKU
I don't think they have either but what more of a perfect chance than now making this new offroad dedicated model? The same goes for the larger tires after more research the lead engineer said you would have to modify just to even run 35s. Just seems so thoughtless of them to miss those things on this model but I am still interested to see more of this thing
Toyota's reasoning for not including a front locker 🤷🏾‍♂️

AXISJT

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Lab manager
Well for instance, usually when manufacturers include an air compressor, it’s undersized and just barely adequate for a single stock-sized tire. Try repeatedly airing up tires that are wider and +4” over stock, over and over, and you might wish they’d not bothered. Even stock wiring is probably not up to that task
The whole model is built in unison with ARB I would imagine they would run an air compressor that has no problems with that considering ARB is that compressor King in the industry. I don't know that just seems like the logical outcome.

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Check out the threads here dating back 2 or 3 years (maybe more) where a lot of members argue - front locker not necessary.
There was a lot of back and forth, and obviously no conclusion, but not having that isn't going to stop a lot of folks - including a lot of Jeep people who have responded - sometimes more than once "not needed".
So I guess the "they didn't include a front locker" bit is going to have quite a few - even Jeep people - shrugging and saying "so?".
And he's pretty much correct on what he's saying. With the technology and other tools available, including some of the electronics, they just aren't as important these days.
Go back in time on these forums and see how many who actually do get into some of the tougher off-roading have suggested "don't need it".

AXISJT

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Lab manager
Toyota's reasoning for not including a front locker 🤷🏾‍♂️
I've only ever driven to Tacoma on the road so I don't know anything about how their system works off-road but I have to imagine it's nowhere near as effective as an actual locker but at least there's an explanation appreciate the post

fourfa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JTRD + ACCC
Build Thread
Link
The whole model is built in unison with ARB I would imagine they would run an air compressor that has no problems with that considering ARB is that compressor King in the industry. I don't know that just seems like the logical outcome.
I hope you’re right!

Hootbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
I see one of the first mods for buyers of it will be removing and chucking that chin spoiler.

Sponsored

Geoarch

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Website
swxrflab.net
Vehicle(s)
2024 JTR, Bright White AT; 2022 JTR MT (traded)
Occupation
geoarchaeologist (retired)

In case you guys are wanting to watch, the trail hunter is intriguing. They also fixed the seating position. The pro has adjustable front shock seats
Probably the real advantage here is that it will push Jeep to come out with a hybrid Gladiator, hopefully a PHEV, for those of us interested. Still, Toyota didn't go for a front locker. That might be a deal breaker for me here in the West.

Closet Jeep guy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
3rd gen tacoma
The reason they didn't use a front locker and only a swaybar disconnect is most ppl don't know how to properly use a front locker and would break things. Also the crawl control works like a front locker

Geoarch

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Website
swxrflab.net
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I'd like to ask those who are dissing the screen - how would you integrate a huge screen into the dash to make it look "built-in"?
Think of the bulk you'd have to add - frankly, I like the appearance better than how Jeep as done for the 2024 Wrangler. That screen looks like they had to find a lot of clay to model how to try to make it look integrated. They failed, IMO.
The Toyota version is clean. Nothing wasted, a sleek, slender, trim dash. Ya want a big screen you have two choices:
Toyota's way
Jeep's way
With Jeep they had to make a lot of new molds for plastic trim that does pretty much nothing except attempt to integrate a big screen that just plain does'tn fit or look decent in the dash. They made it wider, but couldn't really make it taller. Lack of height still makes Jeep's version less than great.

Give me the Toyota version of big screen - useful, doesn't take away from the rest of the dash.
We have a 2023 Rav4 Prime PHEV with that screen, and although I was initially hesitant about it, I find it very functional.

Geoarch

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Website
swxrflab.net
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
It doesn't feel like Jeep is in a good position now for powertrain options/upgrades in the Gladiator. They came in with the JT at a great time, when the rest of the mid-size trucks were very ho-hum, so it didn't matter that the Pentastar itself is a little ho-hum, because the rest of the style and capability were so much better than all the others.

But now, everyone else has caught up to (or even surpassed) the mark the Gladiator set, so what's Jeep gonna do? They say the JT can't do other engines because of cooling capability and crashworthiness, so are they going to rest on their laurels and rely on the folks who'll buy it regardless of engine simply because it's a Jeep? Or are they going to engineer their way back into the forefront?
But the Wrangler PHEV has a different configuration.