Sponsored

dajudge

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon, 2001Cherokee XJ
Occupation
Network/Server Admin
As I said before, I am not a fan of the looks. I will give them credit for really thinking it through though. From TFL's walk around I get the impression that they made very deliberate decisions on what each package contained. It is nice when a car company does that.
Sponsored

Testedone

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT Rubicon
Occupation
Engineer
Has electric seats...I'm in :clap:

That's the only option I wish my JTR had, I have almost every option, just miss the power seats that we have in our GC

Geoarch

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Website
swxrflab.net
Vehicle(s)
2024 JTR, Bright White AT; 2022 JTR MT (traded)
Occupation
geoarchaeologist (retired)
Indeed it does. But the Wrangler 4xe doesn't have to do the "truck stuff" (i.e. towing and payload) that the Gladiator does.
Well maybe the Gladiator will remain an ICE vehicle until the oil runs out.

montechie

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 LJ Rubicon, 2022 JT Rubicon
Occupation
Writer of code, designer of things
The 3rd gen Taco Crawl Control was underwhelming in mud & snow and usually didn't get me any further, hopefully it's been improved. Deepish snow or the crust+sugar we get in MT confounded Crawl Control every time, it would flip out and spin even when set to the slowest setting, there's a combo of all tires turning at a slow, constant speed in snow that CC just couldn't get. Our 05 Wrangler and JTR with front lockers definitely dominated in challenging snow by a large margin, no doubt. In the rocks though Crawl Control was pretty good and my preference over a front locker to avoid bind.

The other disappointing thing for the new Taco is the TRD Pro at least is coming with 18" rims. At least in the TFL video the size was for 18". Kind of undoes the 33s a bit for an offroad targeted model. Probably a cost saving measure to match what's on the Tundra. From past Toyota experience, I also wonder what the quality of the tires are, in the past Toyota OEM on the Taco/Tundra were way lower quality than equivalent tire models aftermarket (half the lifetime mileage, etc). Toyota's sneaky cost cutting in my truck and friends/family vehicles left me with a bad experience.

JarHeadLV

Banned
Banned
First Name
Gerard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator Mohave, 2020 Porsche 911 Turbo
Occupation
Financial Retirement Planner
Vehicle Showcase
As I said before, I am not a fan of the looks. I will give them credit for really thinking it through though. From TFL's walk around I get the impression that they made very deliberate decisions on what each package contained. It is nice when a car company does that.
I can relate, but I do think the white/black combo stands out and the truck is good looking. No doubt they will lure some other brand owners with this remodel.

Sponsored

JarHeadLV

Banned
Banned
First Name
Gerard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator Mohave, 2020 Porsche 911 Turbo
Occupation
Financial Retirement Planner
Vehicle Showcase
Good looking truck for sure
If it looks anything like this Tundra does in person, then I’d fully change my mind on the exterior. My god 😍

IMG_7972.jpeg
IMG_7971.jpeg
Nice looking truck for sure, looks like he wants it to look like a Ford Raptor

Vtur

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTOD
The 3rd gen Taco Crawl Control was underwhelming in mud & snow and usually didn't get me any further, hopefully it's been improved. Deepish snow or the crust+sugar we get in MT confounded Crawl Control every time, it would flip out and spin even when set to the slowest setting, there's a combo of all tires turning at a slow, constant speed in snow that CC just couldn't get. Our 05 Wrangler and JTR with front lockers definitely dominated in challenging snow by a large margin, no doubt. In the rocks though Crawl Control was pretty good and my preference over a front locker to avoid bind.

The other disappointing thing for the new Taco is the TRD Pro at least is coming with 18" rims. At least in the TFL video the size was for 18". Kind of undoes the 33s a bit for an offroad targeted model. Probably a cost saving measure to match what's on the Tundra. From past Toyota experience, I also wonder what the quality of the tires are, in the past Toyota OEM on the Taco/Tundra were way lower quality than equivalent tire models aftermarket (half the lifetime mileage, etc). Toyota's sneaky cost cutting in my truck and friends/family vehicles left me with a bad experience.
The 18" wheels is probably due to the oversized rotor and 4 pistons caliper.

Technomancer

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Automotive Technician, Electronics Technician, (ARMY 25B)
Isn't Jeep releasing a Gladiator 4xe? If so, based off the 4xe specs, it'll eat that hybrid Tacoma alive.
Still an awesome looking truck, though!

legacy_etu

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Mojave, 20 Supra, 16 Wrangler UNLTD,

This tire cost cutting thing is getting widespread now, not just Toyotas. Look at the Nexan tires Jeep is starting To spec.

Sponsored

troverman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator
This tire cost cutting thing is getting widespread now, not just Toyotas. Look at the Nexan tires Jeep is starting To spec.
Nexen Roadian tires have come on RAM dually pickups for years now. Not a great tire, in my opinion. From what I understand, "OEM" tires may not be exactly the same as what you buy from the tire shop. For example, a Goodyear Wrangler Adventure w/ Kevlar tire that comes as an OEM stock tire on F-150 FX4 pickups and Toyota Tacoma TRD-Pro trucks is not the same as the Wrangler Adventure w/Kevlar you could buy as a replacement. It may start off with less tread depth, it may be a softer compound. Many times a manufacturer will work with a tire company to supply OEM tires that have the same make and model as a replacement tire, but are custom-tuned for initial quiet ride, better handling, or better fuel economy.

wachuko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
I am not replacing the Gladiator. I just like it too much... puts a smile on my face every time I use it.

But we have a place back in Puerto Rico and I want to buy a vehicle to leave there. I was between a 4 door Jeep Wrangler and waiting for the new Tacoma to be available. I need to decide if the improvement on the fuel economy is worth going with it. I might just stick with the 6-cyl 4-door Wrangler.
Sponsored