Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
IMO these things get very good mileage. Towing, not so great, but then it's a small engine working hard with trailer behind. No trailer, excellent mpg.

Warman

First Name
Warren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Traded 2011King Ranch F-350 for 2020 JTR
Occupation
Real Estate
Damn, I don't get anywhere near that. If I'm driving highway under 70, I can brush 20 mpg but after that, it falls off like Humpty Dumpty. Don't care though. I love it.

NC_Overland

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Overland
Damn. How slow do you drive? Do you have a sport with those tiny tires on it? I will say that the mpg in mine has gone up since it was brand new and my hwy mpg has stayed the same when going from the stock 32.2” Overland All Seasons to a much heavier 33.6” E load All Terrain. I got 22 mpg hwy on my last road trip from NC to TN with the cruise set on 75, which is actually like 77 mph since I haven’t corrected the speedo. Top off or roof panels out or 80 mpg+ and it goes to hell. I get shit mpg around town. 16 mpg in mixed driving, mainly hwy. Lead foot I guess.

I got 15 mpg hwy driving to the beach a few months ago. We had the roof off and I was following a pack of cars doing 90-95 mph the whole way. I made it from Raleigh to Wilmington in 1.5 hrs though, which shattered my normal 2 hr time. I didn’t care, I still made it there and back and drove on the beach and up and down the coast in a tank of gas.

Sponsored

punk'n

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
R.I.P '20 Overland (totaled) Welcome home '21 Rubi
I did my first decent road trip this past Tuesday, driving 800 miles in one shot. I was basically crossing Pennsylvania through the Pocono mountains and then returning.

I had cruise set mostly at 77 mph but did hit some traffic/construction here and there.
I was very happy with the 25 mpg I got (stock Overland), especially since it wasn't flat terrain.

Jeep Gladiator 24+ mpg after 6 weeks on the road IMG_1664

BrightWhiteGladiator

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Marketing - Planning & Research
I get about 19 mpg on the highway with cruise control set at 75 on 35’s

Stupidjerkface

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Production Manager @ Seadek marine products
In lucky to get 18mpg

jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL 2019 Cherokee KL 2020 Gladiator JT
It would help to know if the mpg is with 100% gas or an ethanol blend. I get a 15 - 20% mpg improvement when switching from 10% ethanol to 100% gas, like from 21 to 25.

Sponsored

OP
OP
MyGeekDaddy

MyGeekDaddy

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Overland Gladiator
Occupation
Engineer
It would help to know if the mpg is with 100% gas or an ethanol blend. I get a 15 - 20% mpg improvement when switching from 10% ethanol to 100% gas, like from 21 to 25.
10% ethanol blend in all but 2 tank fills. Those 2 were 87 unleaded, but didn’t explicitly show an ethanol blend.

brianinca

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
IT Manager
I've hand calculated almost every tank against my odometer, and have GPS verified the corrected speedo. The computer is HIGH on mileage calculation every time, from .5 to 1.1 MPG high. Just sayin'. And I see 25% better mileage compared to my YJ manual, so I'm happy every time I fill up the JTR.

OP
OP
MyGeekDaddy

MyGeekDaddy

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Overland Gladiator
Occupation
Engineer
I've hand calculated almost every tank against my odometer, and have GPS verified the corrected speedo. The computer is HIGH on mileage calculation every time, from .5 to 1.1 MPG high. Just sayin'. And I see 25% better mileage compared to my YJ manual, so I'm happy every time I fill up the JTR.
My little experiment shows my JT was generous by about 0.6 mpg against taking miles driven divided by gallons of gas purchased.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
My little experiment shows my JT was generous by about 0.6 mpg against taking miles driven divided by gallons of gas purchased.
You also have to consider several tanks - like you probably did, but too many rely on one or two fills.
A long drive, multiple tanks, that's a good way to tell.
Otherwise so many variables exist.
Gas expands and contracts with temp changes, and filling a tank with the JT is among the worst I've ever seen as far as how much you get into that tank on a given day. Angle seems to matter, nozzle matters, how I hold my teeth seems to matter. If my wife is with me for some reason I get more into the tank. Weird.
But honestly, everything I see where people have done manual by-hand calculations, using gallons bought or GPS or whatever, it's generally not off too much. .6 isn't a huge deal unless you are in a place there stations are 200 miles apart and you really need gas (a reason I won't rely on number of miles remaining on a tank once it gets below 30)

I find it interesting that after over a year, several MPG threads, hundreds of posts, it's still a big issue for some.
We are driving tall bricks. Anything over 60 will lower mpg if nothing else due to the exponential increase in WIND resistance over that speed. A sleeker vehicle won't matter as much as a block of steel and aluminum sitting up high with exposed under carriage and front tires. You might as well put a mast and sail on these things.

But enought of us have gotten 22-24 or better to prove it's not an anomaly.
Speed, wind that day, the DRIVER (probably the biggst factor), weight of the truck, tire pressure, tire height and WIDTH, fuel used, terrain (hilly like our area or flat like eastern KS and NE?) cruise control or manual control of that pedal?
Wider tires, stubby bumper (exposing the fronts of the tires, and wider tires is a big deal), lower pressure, taller tires, LIFT, all matters. Where you live and drive matters.

Doesn't matter what you drive, you are likely to get different mileage than others simply because you are different, your place is different, etc.

I'm currently doing a bit over 22 - but then I had my truck running and idling a lot for the first bit that tank was filled - maneuvering my trailer and moving stuff around my property. We've also done a lot of short runs this tank.
I normally do over23-24 and have gotten 25 when the speed limit where were were driving was 65 and I set cruise to 70. Even if just for kicks we say my numbers are off by .5 mpg, that's still extremely respectable for a brick that is far less aerodynamic than anything else in my fleet. It's not far behind my wife's GC.
Sponsored