Sponsored

Garemlin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Nacho Willys Gladiator
This will probably be what our 4XE is based on.

https://www.autoevolution.com/news/...-jeep-wrangler-gladiator-wagoneer-177604.html

3.0L "Tornado" Straight-Six Engine Coming to Ram 1500, Various Jeep Models

December 27, 2021

It’s been a heck of a long time since we’ve first heard that Fiat Chrysler is working on a brand-new engine with six cylinders arranged in a line. Codenamed Tornado and internally referred to as the GME T6, the Global Medium Engine Turbo Six has recently entered production in Mexico.

The Stellantis media website lists the Saltillo Engine Plant as follows: “GMET6 HO launched on November 22nd, 2021.” The HO suffix indicates the high-output variant of the 3.0-liter mill based on the 2.0-liter turbo we already know from a plethora of models. In chronological order, these are the Alfa Romeo Giulia, Stelvio, Jeep Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Commander, Maserati Ghibli Hybrid, Levante Hybrid, Jeep Wrangler 4xe, and Grand Cherokee 4xe.

Searching the Internet for more information on the six-cylinder engine, we’ve come across an Excel published by Centro Ricerche Fiat. As the headline implies, the file in question lists four applications of the GME T6 within Fiat Chrysler: the Ram 1500 (internally referred to as DT), current-gen Jeep Wrangler (JL), Gladiator pickup truck (JT), and the Wagoneer (WS).

All of them are rocking the high-output variant of the 3.0-liter engine, which poses a pretty obvious question. How does Fiat Chrysler intend to make a little more oomph from the GME T6? The simplest answer would be to crank up the boost pressure. A mild-hybrid setup, full hybrid, or plug-in hybrid are possible as well, especially the plug-in outcome. Frankly speaking, a vehicle as large and heavy as the Wagoneer definitely needs PHEV assistance.

Also rumored for the next-generation Dodge Charger and Challenger, which are coincidentally expected to be replaced by a full-electric muscle car, the GME T6 would indirectly replace the 5.7-liter HEMI. For the 2022 model year, the free-breathing V8 with eTorque mild-hybrid tech cranks out 395 horsepower and 410 pound-feet (556 Nm) in the Ram workhorse.

UPDATE

On closer inspection, the Excel document from Centro Ricerche Fiat also lists the Grand Cherokee (WL) with the non-HO GME T6 engine.

30l-tornado-straight-six-engine-coming-to-ram-1500-jeep-wrangler-gladiator-wagoneer-177604_1.jpeg

30l-tornado-straight-six-engine-coming-to-ram-1500-jeep-wrangler-gladiator-wagoneer_1.jpeg

30l-tornado-straight-six-engine-coming-to-ram-1500-jeep-wrangler-gladiator-wagoneer_2.jpeg

30l-tornado-straight-six-engine-coming-to-ram-1500-jeep-wrangler-gladiator-wagoneer_3.jpeg
Sponsored

Blade1668

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
90XJ, 91XJ, 91MJ, 05 LJ, 20 JT
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
I read that yesterday, Unluckily a few years late for me.🙄 I'm a fan of inline 6 engine's. The 3.6 v engine has left something to be desired for me in the last few months especially when I'm towing. Something that I have noticed my LJ tows my utility trailer with my 4 wheeler as efficient if not slightly better with 31 tires. Probably not now with heavy 33 MT's on it.

Orange01z28

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Sport S
I'd usually be happy with this kind of news but in today's climate it means we're losing V8s

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
I just bought a V8 again two weeks ago, plan to keep it forever just because I figure they'll be sought after 5 years from now.

Sponsored

Trickster

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JT HA, 22 Volvo V60 CC, 76 Fiat 124,
Occupation
Heavy equipment operator
I just bought a V8 again two weeks ago, plan to keep it forever just because I figure they'll be sought after 5 years from now.
Was wondering that too.
Which V8 did you buy?
That brings up a topic that I have contemplated more than a few times.
What current model(s) will one day be a sought after collectible?
Wish I knew then, what I know now about 60s and 70s muscle cars.:headbang:

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Was wondering that too.
Which V8 did you buy?
That brings up a topic that I have contemplated more than a few times.
What current model(s) will one day be a sought after collectible?
Wish I knew then, what I know now about 60s and 70s muscle cars.:headbang:
In my case it's a Toyota 5.7L iForce. Now that the 2022+ will never have a V8 again I figure these will be a little more special going forward.

Trickster

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JT HA, 22 Volvo V60 CC, 76 Fiat 124,
Occupation
Heavy equipment operator
This will probably be what our 4XE is based on.

https://www.autoevolution.com/news/...-jeep-wrangler-gladiator-wagoneer-177604.html

3.0L "Tornado" Straight-Six Engine Coming to Ram 1500, Various Jeep Models

December 27, 2021

It’s been a heck of a long time since we’ve first heard that Fiat Chrysler is working on a brand-new engine with six cylinders arranged in a line. Codenamed Tornado and internally referred to as the GME T6, the Global Medium Engine Turbo Six has recently entered production in Mexico.

The Stellantis media website lists the Saltillo Engine Plant as follows: “GMET6 HO launched on November 22nd, 2021.” The HO suffix indicates the high-output variant of the 3.0-liter mill based on the 2.0-liter turbo we already know from a plethora of models. In chronological order, these are the Alfa Romeo Giulia, Stelvio, Jeep Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Commander, Maserati Ghibli Hybrid, Levante Hybrid, Jeep Wrangler 4xe, and Grand Cherokee 4xe.

Searching the Internet for more information on the six-cylinder engine, we’ve come across an Excel published by Centro Ricerche Fiat. As the headline implies, the file in question lists four applications of the GME T6 within Fiat Chrysler: the Ram 1500 (internally referred to as DT), current-gen Jeep Wrangler (JL), Gladiator pickup truck (JT), and the Wagoneer (WS).

All of them are rocking the high-output variant of the 3.0-liter engine, which poses a pretty obvious question. How does Fiat Chrysler intend to make a little more oomph from the GME T6? The simplest answer would be to crank up the boost pressure. A mild-hybrid setup, full hybrid, or plug-in hybrid are possible as well, especially the plug-in outcome. Frankly speaking, a vehicle as large and heavy as the Wagoneer definitely needs PHEV assistance.

Also rumored for the next-generation Dodge Charger and Challenger, which are coincidentally expected to be replaced by a full-electric muscle car, the GME T6 would indirectly replace the 5.7-liter HEMI. For the 2022 model year, the free-breathing V8 with eTorque mild-hybrid tech cranks out 395 horsepower and 410 pound-feet (556 Nm) in the Ram workhorse.

UPDATE

On closer inspection, the Excel document from Centro Ricerche Fiat also lists the Grand Cherokee (WL) with the non-HO GME T6 engine.
I am wondering if Stellantis is a bit late to the party with this.
While the vast majority of manufacturers moving forward with full blown EVs, they are still developing gassers. There will be a niche market for diehard fans of ICE vehicles, but will the demand be worth it?
Living in my environment where today it is -41C outside, I am definitely not onboard with todays electric technology. In our town of 32,000 people there is a total of 3 accessible EV chargers to the public.
As I sit there for how long to ‘fuel’ up? Pass.

bleda2002

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR Firecracker Red
I am wondering if Stellantis is a bit late to the party with this.
While the vast majority of manufacturers moving forward with full blown EVs, they are still developing gassers. There will be a niche market for diehard fans of ICE vehicles, but will the demand be worth it?
Living in my environment where today it is -41C outside, I am definitely not onboard with todays electric technology. In our town of 32,000 people there is a total of 3 accessible EV chargers to the public.
As I sit there for how long to ‘fuel’ up? Pass.
I'd say Stellantis is following the path of making what people want (and will buy). They're developing full evs too, but phev is what's going to be the majority of the sales in the next decade as it's a much easier sell than a pure ev.

PHEVs can still be full electric for most peoples daily commutes so they get savings like an ev albeit at less efficiency than a true ev. On the other hand they can be big and un-aerodynamic, they can still tow, haul, and operate in remote locations, and they don't give range anxiety or the need for costly incomplete infrastructure.

The new rivian has a 180kwh battery to only go 300 miles and that's under no load. Towing a medium trailer range was cut 80% and that's just not a realistic sell for anyone with a boat, fleet users, RVrs, road trippers etc. The PHEV on the other hand gasses up in 5 minutes if you need to work like your current truck but then you plug it in over night at home and save the environment on your commute the next day.

Sponsored

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Doubtful, the 5.7 is nothing great and the new motor beats it in every category.
Not sure I agree. I've had V8 trucks from GM, Ford, and Ram. This Toyota 5.7 feels stronger than them all. The only one close was the Ford 5.0 Coyote engine. It's also getting 15 MPG in my weekly commuting which is higher than everybody said it would do. Did I mention it has true dual stainless exhaust running all the way to the muffler? Or that it sounds like heaven? Bonus points when you scroll through the Tundra forums and see guys with 300,000 or 700,000 miles on them all original.

The new 3.5TT will never EVER have the longevity or wonderful exhaust note of the 5.7.

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Meh. ICE is yesterday's tech. My next vehicle, and hopefully a gladiator again, will be full electric.
By "yesterday" you mean the last 125 years, right? ICE hasn't been around this long without reason. There isn't a better way. I wouldn't bank on full electric in whichever vehicle you want anytime soon.

JRobes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Sport S Max Tow, 2004 WJ Overland
Occupation
Enginerd
By "yesterday" you mean the last 125 years, right? ICE hasn't been around this long without reason. There isn't a better way. I wouldn't bank on full electric in whichever vehicle you want anytime soon.
In states that see cold weather, I really think it's going to take many more years before everyone goes full EV. Parking an EV vehicle outside in winter months and knowing it's eating through its own battery (ie your range) just to keep itself warm is a huge issue for people who's work is away from power infrastructure. I'm a tech nerd and love the idea of EV, but I'll be holding onto my gassers as long as possible.