3.6 in ram versus jeep

levesqueonline

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 1500
Hey there, I was wondering if anyone knows why the ram 3.6 has 305 hp 269TQ versus the jeep which is 285 265? its a noticeable difference.
Sponsored

LostWoods

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 4Runner / 1995 YJ
Cam profiles and tune. The JT is more targeted on squeezing economy out of the engine and the RAM is more focused on power because it's built for truck stuff.

InvertedLogic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JTR
I'd also imagine it has to do with cooling capacity. They've mentioned before that cooling is the bottleneck for towing on these things, I bet it's also the bottleneck for power. You can only make power if you can reject the heat. Those Rams have a much larger frontal area.

Jobofly

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU, 2022 JTM
But cooling should only be effected by towing. I tune shouldn't make a difference

Mac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Hydro Blue Max Tow
Cam profiles and tune. The JT is more targeted on squeezing economy out of the engine and the RAM is more focused on power because it's built for truck stuff.
Doesn’t the Ram 1500 get better mileage than the JT?

Sponsored

InvertedLogic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JTR
But cooling should only be effected by towing. I tune shouldn't make a difference
OEMs have some pretty extreme internal standards for cooling. At least from the one's I've seen, some test WOT for some time at like 120F ambient and it can't over heat. Stuff that you would never seen in the real world.

LostWoods

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 4Runner / 1995 YJ
Doesn’t the Ram 1500 get better mileage than the JT?
Ram 1500 3.6 has 3.21 gears vs 3.73 or 4.10 in the Jeep.

And it is more aero.
Exactly. The Ram gets a bit more leeway from the gearing and sleek front end whereas the Jeep has the aerodynamics of a brick and is geared for off-road tires. Re-profiling the engine is the most effective way to not give up crawl ratio or soften the front end further.

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
Hey there, I was wondering if anyone knows why the ram 3.6 has 305 hp 269TQ versus the jeep which is 285 265? its a noticeable difference.
Intake and exhaust manifolds, per the engineers. The internals are identical among nearly all versions of the Pentastar in use.

"...there are just two head designs, two intake manifolds, and one set of internal components, including cam and pistons (this probably changed when they added the Ram setup, 305 hp, though the rep said the main advantage in the Ram was the space available for the exhaust), according to an SAE article by Paul Weissler. The Challenger's 13 horsepower increase is due to "a more aggressively designed intake air system" which increased airflow from 214 to 220 g/s."

So it has nothing to do with heads or cams or tuning. It's all because the Ram has a TON more underhood space for flowing air into and out of the engine.

Last edited:

Sponsored

OP
OP

levesqueonline

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 1500
Exhaust intake and manifolds, per the engineers. The internals are identical among nearly all versions of the Pentastar in use.

"...there are just two head designs, two intake manifolds, and one set of internal components, including cam and pistons (this probably changed when they added the Ram setup, 305 hp, though the rep said the main advantage in the Ram was the space available for the exhaust), according to an SAE article by Paul Weissler. The Challenger's 13 horsepower increase is due to "a more aggressively designed intake air system" which increased airflow from 214 to 220 g/s."

So it has nothing to do with heads or cams or tuning. It's all because the Ram has a TON more underhood space for flowing air into and out of the engine.
Thanks!, so an after market CAI might actually help in this engine then :)

LostWoods

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 4Runner / 1995 YJ
I can't say that anyone has actually proven any real improvements worth the money... often with a CAI on modern vehicles, you lose power low for more up high and frankly, that's not a good strategy for a truck like it is a car.

Andrew05LJR

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator, 2015 911 C2S
The only intake system that MAY result in benefits is a snorkel type with a more direct, smooth intake tube. Snorkels bring outside cooler air which CAN lead to power increase. I wouldn't put my money on it however. You still need to get more air out

Riccochet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JKR | 2020 Ram 2500 | 2021 JT Sport
It's not the intake that's different, it's the upper plenum. There's a lot more room in the Ram to allow for a larger plenum with longer runners. The longer runners will get you a bit more top end.

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
Yes and no. More air in is OK if you can get it out, so you'd need to make sure the intake plenum matches as mentioned already, and a straight free flowing exhaust from the engine to tail pipe like the Ram as well. The Jeeps use a weird curly-Q bend in the exhaust.

But yeah if you did a big wide open air intake (which makes you vulnerable to water ingestion so you need to be careful) and a big wide open exhaust you'd definitely pick up power with the JL/JT version of the P-star.
Sponsored