First Name
jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited, 2015 Dodge Journey
Occupation
Firefighter/ emt
So I’m having some trouble with my 3.6L. I have a tick and a knock at the same time. I took it to the shop and the mechanic said that I most definitely have lifter issues but the knock he was concerned about. He said that I may have a rod bearing out . They pulled it in and checked the oil for shavings and sand a oil pressure test which all were fine. The funny thing is that sometimes the tick and know will go away on its own and it purrs like a kitten then the tick and knock will come back sometime later. Very confusing situation. I’ve tried to listen to the knock, it seems to come towards the top instead of the bottom but I’m hard of hearing anyways. Just wondering if anyone else has had this issue.
Sponsored

Mjolnir

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Willys, 2020 Gladiator
The knock is concerning.

The tick is not. Pentastar is known for having a normal tick.

Renegade

First Name
Zac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT
Build Thread
Link
The knock is concerning.

The tick is not. Pentastar is known for having a normal tick.
The “tick” is common, but not “normal”. It’s usually a bad roller bearing on a rocker arm. I’ve repaired this on two different Jeep 3.6 motors, and diagnosed a 3rd for a friend. If left too long, it WILL wear down the cam lobe. If caught early, it’s a $20 (in parts) repair.

cecaa850

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator 2019 Porsche Macan S 2018 BMW M2
The “tick” is common, but not “normal”. It’s usually a bad roller bearing on a rocker arm. I’ve repaired this on two different Jeep 3.6 motors, and diagnosed a 3rd for a friend. If left too long, it WILL wear down the cam lobe. If caught early, it’s a $20 (in parts) repair.
Hemis do the exact same thing and require the exact same repair.

IamAlan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Snazzberry Willys
Occupation
Retired
Sounds like a warranty repair to me.

Sponsored

Renegade

First Name
Zac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT
Build Thread
Link
Sounds like a warranty repair to me.
It should be, as long as it’s within year/mileage. It also often misdiagnosed by techs as either “normal for a Jeep”, or a “bad head”. The ones I repaired had 140k, and 88k miles. The 88k mile engine actually had more damage to the cam than the one with 140k.

IamAlan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Snazzberry Willys
Occupation
Retired
It should be, as long as it’s within year/mileage. It also often misdiagnosed by techs as either “normal for a Jeep”, or a “bad head”. The ones I repaired had 140k, and 88k miles. The 88k mile engine actually had more damage to the cam than the one with 140k.
My '21 came with "Jeep Wave" coverage. Three years, unlimited mileage.
And a trip to the dealer gets it on record at least.

Mjolnir

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Willys, 2020 Gladiator
From certified techs it's normal. And after 3 pentastars with 200k each that had the tick since day 1, there's no issue more often then not.

Obviously it depends on how "loud" the tick is but having a tick in general is not an issue in of itself.

IamAlan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Snazzberry Willys
Occupation
Retired
Basic warranty ends at 60K I believe. Did they sell you a service contract?
No. Quoting the "Jeep Wave" page:
" Plus, you get a three-year unlimited mileage warranty, making Jeep Wave® the Only Program with No Mileage Restrictions"

All 2021 models are included in the program.

If I'm reading it right, of course...🤷‍♂️
https://www.jeep.com/jeep-wave.html

Sponsored

cecaa850

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator 2019 Porsche Macan S 2018 BMW M2
No. Quoting the "Jeep Wave" page:
" Plus, you get a three-year unlimited mileage warranty, making Jeep Wave® the Only Program with No Mileage Restrictions"

All 2021 models are included in the program.

If I'm reading it right, of course...🤷‍♂️
https://www.jeep.com/jeep-wave.html
The Jeep Wave program is unlimited mileage. Your powertrain warranty ends at 60k miles. These are 2 different things.

This is a copy and paste from the page you linked above.

Enjoy no-charge same-day vehicle rental( Disclosure4) for routine maintenance, trip interruption coverage up to $1,000 per occurrence, and 24/7 roadside assistance( Disclosure5) for the duration of the 5-Year/60,000-Mile Powertrain Limited Warranty( Disclosure6) period.

Last edited:

DAVECS1

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
I assume it has the correct weight oil in it. Another thing a tech could do before they crack it open is use the Chrysler electronic service tool to run a cleaning cycle on the cam phazers. Of thwy are not moving as they should you would get a knock at lower RPM as the pistons will have no compression to catch them at top stroke. Both valve will be overlapped and pretty open. This could explain a couple things. The bad rocker or follower as it has run in a stuck position with possibly to much pressure from the follower on it at times, and the issue going away as the phazer sometimes gets it together and works.
Sponsored