Bing

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Chevy Silverado, 2008 Pontiac G8 GXP, 2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Hello all,

I was wondering if people have had ANY engine problems yet. My girlfriend has a 2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee and has been in and out of the shop here in Colorado for the past month & a half. So we would be driving and the auto start/stop would pop up saying it is unavailable...5-10 seconds later the check engine light goes on, then it starts blinking (not safe to drive). The most recent visit the Larry H Miller dealer said that there was "insufficient ionization of ignition coil number 5. Grounding pins moved around. Swapped coils. Still under warranty at 26,000 miles". Sounded BS to me, especially since it just happened again for the 4th time in a month & a half.

This recent engine trouble has me hesitant to buy a gladiator (been waiting for the granite crystal metallic). I was between the Tacoma and gladiator, to begin with, but thought the Tacoma lacks severely in the interior/tech side of things. Toyota's are dinosaurs that have proven to be reliable. Just wondering if anyone has had trouble OR some guidance on this dilemma.

Thanks!
Sponsored

Sorbs

First Name
Brian & Sunny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ram TRX, 2020 Gladiator LE
Vehicle Showcase
Hello all,

I was wondering if people have had ANY engine problems yet. My girlfriend has a 2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee and has been in and out of the shop here in Colorado for the past month & a half. So we would be driving and the auto start/stop would pop up saying it is unavailable...5-10 seconds later the check engine light goes on, then it starts blinking (not safe to drive). The most recent visit the Larry H Miller dealer said that there was "insufficient ionization of ignition coil number 5. Grounding pins moved around. Swapped coils. Still under warranty at 26,000 miles". Sounded BS to me, especially since it just happened again for the 4th time in a month & a half.

This recent engine trouble has me hesitant to buy a gladiator (been waiting for the granite crystal metallic). I was between the Tacoma and gladiator, to begin with, but thought the Tacoma lacks severely in the interior/tech side of things. Toyota's are dinosaurs that have proven to be reliable. Just wondering if anyone has had trouble OR some guidance on this dilemma.

Thanks!
That's not an engine problem. An engine problem is when it stops running and drops a rod through the block. What you have indicates that the powertrain control module (PCM) has detected a fault on the secondary ignition coil circuit. The code sets when the secondary ignition burn time is too short. It causes the Check Engine light to illuminate after a fault on a single trip. After three trips without a failure, the Check Engine light may go off, although the DTC will remain a stored as an inactive code.

https://www.yourmechanic.com/articl...ary-number-5-circuit-condition-by-jason-unrau

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
Yeah that sounds like a very isolated issue. The Pentastar is rock solid. It had teething issues in 2012 when they first dropped it in the Wrangler, but overall it's been rock solid. Very dependable, very efficient, makes good power. It's a far better engine than what Toyota is using these days. (I've driven both and had read numerous third party reviews on both.) I would not be afraid of the Gladiator at all.

Malarkey21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon, 1993 BMW 325is, 2016 Triumph Street Twin
According to carbuzz, they have made over 10 million pentastar engines. I dont recall seeing lots of coverage for these things failing. If they had serious reliability problems like connecting rods giving it up, cams wiping, ect.. because of "quality" or design, I think there would be a bunch of articles covering it. The only problem I know of is the 2012 JK had the heads warp on some because of early casting problems I think, but they were replaced by FCA under warranty.

https://carbuzz.com/news/10-million-units-of-the-pentastar-v6-have-now-been-made

coil packs can go bad or be faulty, but those are easy to change. I would check the connector. If the same cylinder keeps failing and they have swapped the coil pack around it rules out the coil.

I dont feel there are any major troubles with the 3.6 engine, I would be more skeptical of the new 3.0 ecodiesel. the last engine had problems but they have since done lots of updates. If you feel that its not up to your standards thats your call but I think there is a good amount of data to show the 3.6 is pretty robust.

hope there is something helpful to you in there lol :beer:

Sponsored

2021Buyer

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Rubicon; 2015 Ram Laramie
I have a Pentastar in my 2015 Ram Laramie - factory ordered for this configuration - and she has a 104,000 miles on her and she's running strong with no problems...

Hootbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
Just the law of averages catching up and it is your turn in the barrel so it seems like a bigger deal than it really is. Pentastar is pretty rock solid after some early head issues and oil filter housing cracks and leaks in 2012 to 2013. 2014+ is pretty much good to go on average.

Gladiator4Runner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1994 Toyota pickup, 2015 4Runner TRD Pro, 1993 Harley Davidson FXSTS,
I know a family that runs vehicles with the pentastar- they use them for their business. Their son who is the mechanic says they have many with over 400,000 miles on them without issues. The engines are totally solid and reliable. It's the computer shit that causes issues. Because of them I am seriously considering NOT going with the EcoDiesel and playing it safe with the pentastar

RedTRex

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU / 2014 WK2 Diesel
I know a family that runs vehicles with the pentastar- they use them for their business. Their son who is the mechanic says they have many with over 400,000 miles on them without issues. The engines are totally solid and reliable. It's the computer shit that causes issues. Because of them I am seriously considering NOT going with the EcoDiesel and playing it safe with the pentastar
Can't fault you for the choice, It is a very solid engine.

Lou3.6

First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep 2016 WK2 75th Anniversary edition
Occupation
retired Navy -- 1984 > 2004
Just my non-mechanical/electrical Automotive Input -- and only because I have a 2016 WK2 3.6 . Until recently, I've had the Very Same "Battery" issue of "UNAVAILABLE" with my ESS . The "Idiots" (not the idiot-light) just didn't have ANY Common Sense - don't think they even know what "CS" is ? Any who to make a long story short, I decided, on my own, to have the small secondary (ESS) battery replaced ! Wether it solves the Battery Drainage issue, no it won't . But for now till winter hits and I do a lot less Daily Driving to keep the batteries fully charged, seems good ! THAT has/had been a sticking point between me & the "mechanics" ! Haven't seen the "Unavailable" indication (yet) and probably won't for the next 2 months due to putting a lot of highway miles and use . Winter will tell . . . and YOUR situation may very well NOT be as mine is/was ? I never had the additional faults as you . I'm hoping the factory battery was just a piece of crap to begin with and I don't have an underlying drainage on the system . . . time will tell ? Also be sure ALL your Connections are "tight" . Well, I'll be trading it in on a JT soon enough . . . I just don't want to pass along a "problem child" to an unsuspecting Jeeper .

Sponsored

intentsrig

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT
Gotta remember the Pentastar in the JT and JL is not the same as the JK version.

So that’s something to keep in mind

tstugel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
For those who have not run a late model diesel engine, be prepared for all the EPA BS that comes with it. I'm coming off a 5.0 Cummins diesel pickup.

The new DEF systems are a real pain. can't idle for long periods as the exhaust filter gets full, more so in the colder weather. You have to run at least 20 to 40 miles on the open highway a week to clean out the exhaust filter. For those who live in the North, as I do, the DEF fluid will at some point freeze in the tank and you will get a low power code/reduced engine power. Most DEF tanks have a heater, but they do freeze occasionally. You also need to be very careful which DEF you use, a bad batch can cost you significant money. I ran Power Service in every tank as the new fuels are hard on the injector pumps. Oh by the way, you will also have to change fuel filters every oil change as well. They are an added cost and are not something to neglect as a new injector pump or fuel injectors are extremely expensive.

On the good side there is nothing quite like the low end torque for pulling a load or, I imagine, crawling.

ArmorAPLarry

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Jeep Compass
Hello all,

Thanks!
My wife drives a 2016 200S with the Pentastar. We have had no issues, 34 mpg, and plenty of power. Very happy.

Maximus Gladius

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Construction, Gold Mining, Surface Engineer
Might see more misfire issues now with the gladiator. Dealing with two on mine last month. There’s been a few noted here if you look it up. Looks like the fix so far that’s done anything positive is to replace a damaged cam shaft and rockers and other bits. Mine just so happens to also have an internal coolant leak too. Related to the misfire?? I’ll say it is until tech support wants to acknowledge and prove my theory wrong.
Sponsored