1. Bing

Bing Member

First Name:
    Rob
    Vehicle(s):
    2014 Chevy Silverado, 2008 Pontiac G8 GXP, 2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee
    Liked:
    Hello all,

I was wondering if people have had ANY engine problems yet. My girlfriend has a 2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee and has been in and out of the shop here in Colorado for the past month & a half. So we would be driving and the auto start/stop would pop up saying it is unavailable...5-10 seconds later the check engine light goes on, then it starts blinking (not safe to drive). The most recent visit the Larry H Miller dealer said that there was "insufficient ionization of ignition coil number 5. Grounding pins moved around. Swapped coils. Still under warranty at 26,000 miles". Sounded BS to me, especially since it just happened again for the 4th time in a month & a half.

This recent engine trouble has me hesitant to buy a gladiator (been waiting for the granite crystal metallic). I was between the Tacoma and gladiator, to begin with, but thought the Tacoma lacks severely in the interior/tech side of things. Toyota's are dinosaurs that have proven to be reliable. Just wondering if anyone has had trouble OR some guidance on this dilemma.

Thanks!

2. Sorbs

Sorbs Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Brian & Sunny
    Vehicle(s):
    2020 Gladiator LE, 2018 2dr JLR 6-SPD, 2015 Hellcat Challenger, 2015 Ecodiesel Grand Cherokee,
    Liked:
    That's not an engine problem. An engine problem is when it stops running and drops a rod through the block. What you have indicates that the powertrain control module (PCM) has detected a fault on the secondary ignition coil circuit. The code sets when the secondary ignition burn time is too short. It causes the Check Engine light to illuminate after a fault on a single trip. After three trips without a failure, the Check Engine light may go off, although the DTC will remain a stored as an inactive code.

https://www.yourmechanic.com/articl...ary-number-5-circuit-condition-by-jason-unrau

Bad Burrito and Ole Cowboy like this.
  3. WXman

WXman Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2012 Wrangler
    Liked:
    Meteorology and Transportation
    Yeah that sounds like a very isolated issue. The Pentastar is rock solid. It had teething issues in 2012 when they first dropped it in the Wrangler, but overall it's been rock solid. Very dependable, very efficient, makes good power. It's a far better engine than what Toyota is using these days. (I've driven both and had read numerous third party reviews on both.) I would not be afraid of the Gladiator at all.

4. Malarkey21

Malarkey21 Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2013 Wrangler, 2018 Ram 1500
    Liked:
    According to carbuzz, they have made over 10 million pentastar engines. I dont recall seeing lots of coverage for these things failing. If they had serious reliability problems like connecting rods giving it up, cams wiping, ect.. because of "quality" or design, I think there would be a bunch of articles covering it. The only problem I know of is the 2012 JK had the heads warp on some because of early casting problems I think, but they were replaced by FCA under warranty.

https://carbuzz.com/news/10-million-units-of-the-pentastar-v6-have-now-been-made

coil packs can go bad or be faulty, but those are easy to change. I would check the connector. If the same cylinder keeps failing and they have swapped the coil pack around it rules out the coil.

I dont feel there are any major troubles with the 3.6 engine, I would be more skeptical of the new 3.0 ecodiesel. the last engine had problems but they have since done lots of updates. If you feel that its not up to your standards thats your call but I think there is a good amount of data to show the 3.6 is pretty robust.

hope there is something helpful to you in there lol :beer:

5. RedTRex

RedTRex Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Rick
    Vehicle(s):
    2013 JKU
    Liked:
    and some roller rocker tips failing (2012-2013)

6. 2021Buyer

2021Buyer Member

First Name:
    Jim
    Vehicle(s):
    2018 Wrangler Rubicon; 2015 Ram Laramie
    Liked:
    I have a Pentastar in my 2015 Ram Laramie - factory ordered for this configuration - and she has a 104,000 miles on her and she's running strong with no problems...

WXman and Hootbro like this.
  7. Hootbro

Hootbro Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
    Liked:
    Just the law of averages catching up and it is your turn in the barrel so it seems like a bigger deal than it really is. Pentastar is pretty rock solid after some early head issues and oil filter housing cracks and leaks in 2012 to 2013. 2014+ is pretty much good to go on average.

Malarkey21 likes this.